Cuban samba? Wasamba and more? - cuban sambas

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Mike Miller » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:51 am

What info, if any, does anyone have on wasamba and other cuban sambas?

In Kansas City, Missouri we have a very distinguished teacher from Havana; Frisner Augustín that teaches these rhythms. Is there anything online that can facilitate learning also?
Mike Miller

Postby zaragemca » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:00 am

Some time ago in Cuba the Samba was incorporate it in to the show bands,with afrocuban percussion instruments.This is part of my Samba-Bateria, when we do performances.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Berimbau » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:23 am

Dear Mike & Zaragemca,
Interesting posts. Mike, I remember Frisner from my days in NYC. Isn't he actually Haitian? Or is he a Franceses descended from Haitians in Cuba?
Zaragemca, my greatest anthropological interest is in the cultural dimensions of the central African diaspora, and your remarks about Cuban samba intrique me. Now Brasilian samba and Cuban conga de comparsa both share a Kongo/Angolan ancestry. I would be VERY interested to hear how Cuban musicians would interpret samba. How does your band mix these styles, what's the instrumentation? Brasilian musicians have long been fascinated with Cuban music, especially percussionists such as Rubens Bassini and Nana Vasconcelos. Any cds out there of Cuban samba?

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby zaragemca » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:37 pm

I did incorporate congas,Djembe,(replacing repinique),and four bells-patterns,I had a Quica,but the power of the drums would take over it,so we dropped it,also I added a bass player to play with the ensemble,so everywhere we go it is a jam.A Samba-School which came to perform in Houston,came in and they took a lot of pictures and video recording,so it is in Brazil for some time now.It is true the relationship of the Samba-Conga-Bantu.In Cuba as I said,it have been the show-bands which play in touring places,but I've been long out of Cuba,so I have not idea of CD's of that music.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1112028297
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Isaac » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:30 pm

Hi Mike, Frisner Augustin is from Haiti, not Cuba.
I've done a workshop with him in Haitian drumming.
I thought he was still living in Brooklyn.

Isaac,
Funkytradition@yahoo.com
Isaac

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Yo Issac ..have you ever met Dr. Harry Tippens,Jr.? He is an expert on Haition drumming. He studied some Cuban drumming with me in Miami back in 1991, and he showed me Haitian rhythms. I also have his first copy of his book, The Language of the Drum-Playing Techniques and Traditional Rhythms. I was just wondering if you ever ran in to him.? I had received a postcard from him 2 years later and he was in Costa Rica....."JC" Johnny Conga....ps I also have a tape recording of our class together..He is tall, white, and was a former Intelligence Officer and Scientist for the Government, and could play his butt off with some Makuta or Yanvalou....
JohnnyConga

Postby windhorse » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:38 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Yo Issac ..have you ever met Dr. Harry Tippens,Jr.? He is an expert on Haition drumming. He studied some Cuban drumming with me in Miami back in 1991, and he showed me Haitian rhythms. I also have his first copy of his book, The Language of the Drum-Playing Techniques and Traditional Rhythms. I was just wondering if you ever ran in to him.? I had received a postcard from him 2 years later and he was in Costa Rica....."JC" Johnny Conga....ps I also have a tape recording of our class together..He is tall, white, and was a former Intelligence Officer and Scientist for the Government, and could play his butt off with some Makuta or Yanvalou....

I know you were talking to Issac there,, but I met him at the Afro-Cuban drum camp last year where we became quick friends. He was impressed that I knew a bit of Haitian stuff, and we played a few rhythms together. He also sent me a copy of his book. Another friend of mine who I learned most of the Haitian from said he did a fine job on the book..

Dave
windhorse

Postby Jongo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:54 pm

I know that we are a little off topic here but I am interested in Haitian drumming, where could I get a copy of that book? I have looked around and I have not had much luck finding anything on Haitian drumming. Thanks
Juan
Jongo

Postby Isaac » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:22 am

I've never heard of Harry till today. I'd love to
get a hold of his book also. I mentioned I once did a workshop
with Frisner. I used to drop in at a Haitian dance class
near Broadway & Houston st. about 12 years ago, before they closed. They let me sit in a few times. I liked their use
of the one stick or as the called it a "baguette" or maquette. John Amira in NYC knows the Haitian styles
well also.
I did get to see some Tumba Francesa in
Cuba, which was a much older style than what evolved in
Haiti itself. In Cuba they used a large hollow log for the palito parts, sometimes more than one person playing the log.
JC, or Dave if you can find any contact info
for Mr. Tippens, I'd appreciate it.
~ ISAAC
Isaac

Postby Berimbau » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:39 am

Do I sense a thread on Haitian drumming impending? Anybody here remember Tiroro?

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby windhorse » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:13 am

OK, here's Harry's e-mail: raphgon@excite.com
And snail is:
P.O. Box 1875 Capitola, CA 95010

He'll be thrilled there are people interested in his book I'm sure...

Oh, and I'll add that I've got some free Haitian stuff on my site: http://www.animaldreams.net/conganotation.html

Edited By windhorse on 1112110964
windhorse

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:45 pm

Wow Windhorse ...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have emailed Harry and hopefully he will respond. I have not spoken with him since 1992, so it would be great to hear from him.
I have 3 albums by TiRoRo and have known about him for many years. There is also another drummer whose name was "LeGip", also a Voudou drummer......"JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Berimbau » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:58 pm

I wonder if Johnny Conga ever heard about the proposed, but never realized Mongo/Tiroro lp? Back in the 70's word on the street was that they had met and jammed in FLA, but that no company was ready to front the $$$. I knew a guy who made a neat documentary film on "The making of a Haitian drum" that featured a Haitian master drum maker and Tiroro. I'd like to see that on dvd!!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:37 pm

No I can't say that I ever heard of that possibility back then, though I imagine it would have been one helluva collaboration. I'd like to see that DVD also......there are some good Haitian drummers in Miami Ton-Ton is one of them and another named Damballah. ...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike Miller » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:40 pm

I am referring to another Augustin, he is not from Haiti, he is from Havana.

I am going to record the 3 sambas he teaches and post them online. If anyone has any info on Cuban sambas, it would be appreciated.

Edited By Mike Miller on 1112726523
Mike Miller

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises