Manteca

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Dantino » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Hello to all. I remember reading a post about using manteca to treat the heads. I tried this method and found that the heads still sound the same. Keep in mind I own a pair of LP Calientes. Is it the heads? Or should I replace the heads with a diffrent type? Your response on this would be greatly appreciated.
Dantino

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:12 am

I cant say Ive heard of treating heads with manteca...
Are your skins worn out/old/stretched/dead in pitch?

Guess its time to get new skins! :)

If you have a digital camera, take some pics, save to your pc and then upload the images on here, You will find the attach file feature just above the "Add reply" button.

Hard to say without seeing your skin.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:43 pm

Abakua Im surprised u never heard of using Manteca to coat your skins....I use West African Palm oil to treat any new skins on my congas. Then after a thin coat is put on I sit the drum in the sun for 4 to 5 hours, so the oil melts into the skin, thereby preserving it from drying out and cracking/splitting, after time....I have one skin on my quinto for over 20 years, because of the treatments, I have given it..... :D "JC" Johnny Conga....Lard/manteca-is "ol skool" treatment for skins....
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:23 pm

This have been an old treatment for the drum-skin which have been in the Book since 'The time of nana-cere'.Dr.Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:40 pm

I use West African Palm oil

This is what is commonly used here also. :)
But at least by myself, never heard of manteca (as in butter)..

Oh well..
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby franc » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:49 am

any one out there in the forum,
my personal teacher tells me that '' mi jaragual'' by el sonero ismael rivera it is written in 2/3 clave. why do i hear it or feel it in 3/2 clave?? :^/ confused!!!! thanks guys!! áche!!!! franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby zaragemca » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:30 pm

Of course the 'Manteca de Corojo',(as the Palm oil is known in Cuba),is better recipe,but some percussionists sometime used other oils to cure the skin with fire...To Franc,you need to count in the 4/4 time signature when the song start and that would take you to find out which was the Clave used for the song.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1118768164
zaragemca

Postby rumbaman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:16 pm

I love dropping by 'cause this is the best forum on the net . The manteca post is realy intresting because when i first started messing with hand percussion drums i saw an article that said to put hand lotion on my bongos at the time. What a mistake they dulled the skins out big time . I did'nt put them out in the sun but they sounded like crap. As a coincedence at rehersal yesterday someone mentioned that he would sand lightly the skins on his lp's to give them a better sound when the skins are new. If you ask me i would just wear them in . Thats my opinion , but you know what they say about opinions. thanks
rumbaman

Postby zaragemca » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:00 pm

Greeting that advise of hand-lotion,was more than wrong,(I guest I don't have to prove to you now,the point is that after putting the,(Manteca de Corojo),the skin have to be put in the sun,or through fire to cure the process.Dr.Zaragemca
zaragemca

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises