playing with a dj - what rythums are appropriate

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby rumbaman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:04 pm

How is everyone today good i hope . I have a friend who is a dj and he approached me about playing with him and a timbalero for parties . What rythums do you all suggest for house music ( techno music ) , and disco music .

Thanks again , rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby rumbaman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:07 pm

Sorry about my spelling..... :laugh:
rumbaman

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:22 pm

Greeting,any of the patterns of the basic tumbao,would do it,taking into account the speed of the songs,with Timbales fill-ins for brakes, dynamics effects and soloing, the owner of one of the place where I've been jamming said to me that he was going to give a copy of one of the videos which were taking when I was performing,but I haven't with me yet.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1122564345
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tone » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:56 pm

I find the two beats that work the best outside latin music are of course the tumbao but also as versatile and sometimes even stronger the one called A Cavallo, which is pretty much the same as Merengue too. Very effective and impressive yet quite simple too play. On some funkier stuff the New York style Mozambique provides an interesting alternative.

My 50 cents.

tone
tone
Tone

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:55 pm

I can tell you from personal xperience which I still do every saturday in Tacoma with a DJ is to know your "styles" of drumming for the variety of music that the DJ plays...Techno is redundant and rhythmically challenged.....if u play to Earth Wind and Fire come up with some R & B patterns if you play to Disco u gotta know ur disco patterns...or "invent" as you go along as I do...but I do know my "styles" and "rhythms" to do this.....as they say "thats why I make the so so big bucks"!.... :D ....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby pidoca » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:22 am

gday, have you thought of buying some compilation CD's in the tyle of music that the DJ is going to play, or better still ask the Dj which artists he drws his influence from. buy the CD's and practice at home, listen to them as much as possible, cause as mr Conga said "you've got to know your styles, and there are heaps of them. eg; HOUSE MUSIC - sexy house, happy house, dirty house, beat house, anthem house, etc... you get the idea, most of the styles are similar, but there are fundemental differences in how the come in and out of breaks etc...

Hope it helps.

pidoca
http://www.cabritamusic.com
pidoca

Postby rumbaman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:29 am

hey thanks , to all of you

rumbaman
:D
rumbaman

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:53 am

hello guys!

after a vacation on the sea side... :D

Rumbaman, i played three years with a different djs and about rhythms i can't give you much more infos like others said, just that in the house music i played a lot of improvisation patternscoming out of tumbao and african rhythms (muri baya sa (spelling?), jenkadi...). Many times depends from a dj, if he cooperates/listens to your playing, than both of you can make the #### out of the dancefloor (letting you to have the solo fills, fills, breaks...) Be relaxed and let the rhythms come through you!

Once i played with a english dj Kenny Charles and that was really something, cause he was used to play with a percussionist and we make some serious workout for dancers :D

Good party!

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises