Where's the clave in guaguanco? - Which way is right?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby spiff46 » Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:22 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and conga playing also, so please bear with me if my terminology sounds vague or out of place. I was trying to add in the clave with a couple variations of guaguanco that I got from a book by Eddie Urbine. For some reason the clave seems to fit and feel right when played reverse of what the book gives. Why is this? Could the book be wrong? I even listened to the CD, and the rhythm is played as it is written in the book. This is the rhythm given in the book. (s-slap, o-open high, O-open low, b-bass p-palm, *-clave)

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +|1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
s s b s p s o s o s p s

or var1

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +|1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
s s b s O s o s o s O s

However, when played with the clave reversed, it sounds ok. Is this a case of an unexperienced ear? I am really lost here, and I don't want to play a traditional rhythm the wrong way. Can some one please tell me the correct direction.
spiff46

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:00 pm

Hi and welcome aboard spiff46.
The clave in the traditionnal cuban guaguanco is in 3/2.
The first note is on the first time. The second in on the and of two, third on the and of four. Four and five are on the three and four of the second bar. I can send a sample of the percussion parts on clave if you want...
I hope i helped you.
Laurent
Laurent Lamy

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:02 pm

Can you tell us the reference of your book and where can we purchase it on line. Thanks
Laurent Lamy

Postby spiff46 » Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:49 pm

The book is "The essence of Afro-Cuban percussion & Drum Set" by Ed Uribe. It can be purchased at http://www.amazon.com for ฯ.96, and it is a really good book; however, the examples on the CD are really short so it is hard to get a feel for the groove just by listening to the CD.

Back to the rhythm. The book gives the clave as 3/2 with a beat on 1, a beat on the and of 2, a beat on the and of 4, then in the second measure a beat on 2, and a beat on 3, just like I have written in my first posting.
spiff46

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:24 am

Sorry! but sometimes my english is very bad. The fourth and fifth srokes of the clave are on the two and three...
Laurent Lamy

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:26 am

Have you received my audio example?
Laurent Lamy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises