Conga question - How to read Congas

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby GalloPinto » Wed Nov 28, 2001 5:08 pm

I know basic conga rythyms by memory but i want to learn how to read music especially the congas. I can't afford a teacher right now so i want to attempt to learn on my own. Is there a video or book that can walk me through this.
GalloPinto

Postby tamboricua » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:14 pm

Vaya GalloPinto, hope all is well! A very comprehensive book for learning how to read music notation is: Understanding Rhythm by Michael Lauren. It is published by Warner Brothers Publications. Available at amazon.com
Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby GalloPinto » Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:15 pm

Thank you very much Jorge!!
GalloPinto

Postby CongaMan » Sun Dec 02, 2001 9:24 pm

THIS POST IS BY:
JohnnyConga

I would recommend a book that taught me how to READ notation. It is called "Learn to Read Music" in 2 days,guarenteed!..It worked for me...It was written in 1958, by Howard Shanet,published by Simon and Schuster,in NYC,a Touchstone Book. I would recommend it to anyone....JC JOHNNY CONGA....chek my site at http://www.ShowGigs.com/JohnnyConga...........At your service....
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby benbaboon » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:48 am

GalloPinto,
Reading notes is a great plus and learning it is definitely time well spent. However, you should be able to find many conga rhythms using very simplified notation on this site as well as other resources.
-bb
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:06 am

Oye GalloPinto....there is no book that I know of with notation for "Rhythms" per se. There are individuals that have released their own "method" of learning and put it in print. For me concerning your self with the reading of rhytHms in general will only help you if you are considering a "Studio Session" gig, where you are expected to walk in and look at the chart and within 3 takes cut the tune. If this is a hobbie then find a decent teacher that can take u thru the many styles of drumming and parts, that u are expected to "Put to Memory" that is the way I learned in the "First Skool" aka "Old Skool". Some people feel they need to read notation to play, I would rather have the natural ability developed to play and be a learned musician, if i so desire. And everyone has different motives for playing. Hobby, theraputic, Professional,past time,etc. so I ask you what type of a drummer do you want to be and also do you understand we "All" have our limitations to understand Why we want to drum in the first place? I still ask myself after 30 years, but I accepted it early in my life,and nurtured it and studied and practiced,and learned to Respect "The Gift". I like to say to people or "Suits" I can do what u can do in 4 hours, Can u do what I do on Congas, in 4 hours.....i don't think so...But I'm also not talking Physics or Bio-Chemistry...I do know my limits.......with Peace and Practice ...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises