Warm up / Stretch before gigs/practise? - who does/does not

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Hey all,

In my early days, I never stretched or warmed up prior to commencement of my gig, now almost 15 years into performing with bands and for the last 3 or so years I stretch prior to every gig and do a series of doubles to warm up a good 5-10 minutes or so before getting on stage.

A few years ago, I went on 'cold' to play with an up tempo band and by the 4th song I had cramps in my forearms and began loosing the feeling in my pinky and ring finger, causing no control on definition of slaps or open tones. Luckilly we were only doing a 20 minute set and when I got off, I stretched it out till it was gone. It had never happened to me before.

Since that day, I have always stretched and warmed up before starting, and I feel loose and relaxed and find my playing is improved dramatically.

The stretch I do is, with the forearm facing upwards, and place palm of hand upside down (fingers pointing down) against a wall and have the palm at least at the height of my face, hold stretch for 30 seconds, and then gently shake that hand around, then repeat process with the other hand. Do so with arm fully stretch out.
I find this stretches my fingers, palm and forearm.

Once Ive done this about 3 or 4 times for each hand, I do some open doubles or heel tip style doubles on the table or my lap or the bar for that matter.
I go on all warmed up and ready to attack. :)

I say this in context as I am the conguero in the bands I play with and I play with up tempo, in your face timba, salsa and latin jazz/descarga bands, where you cannot afford to go on stage if you are not warmed up and ready to kick some ass!
3 Tequila shots and a Bacardi n Coke and Im ready to take on the world hehehehe.

So yeh, who else has a similar ritual?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:39 pm

Like some people that run or do exercises, although they are recommended to do so, I used to not to warm up prior to a gig. However, I realized that is the best thing you could do. I used to play cold and used to get this "cramp" feeling sometimes in that first number that was unbelievable. Used to stand it but not anymore...(Times does not pass in vain..."Ya no es lo mismo que ayer..."

Now I carry, a couple of sticks and do "mommy-daddys", singles and paradibbles...first slow, then quick, then a little burn, then slow...Ocassionally, I twist my wrists, in a warm up way, also... (If congas, I work my left hand while sitting in my thights to get it ready for the "braqueteo").

After that, I am ready....

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1126028383
Raymond

Postby CongaTick » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:01 pm

My gigs are usually 4 one-hour sets with 20 minute breaks and I ALWAYS warm up. Holding left arm plam down. I use my right hand to pull my left hand back toward my body as far as I can and hold and repeat several times for each hand. Also do individual fingers in this manner. Followed by flams stretching to press rolls, ht's on opposite hands. followed by tumbao's on opposites. Throughout gig am continually stretching loosening. And yes, the tequila (or vodka), sipped strategically and continually throughout the sets, keeps me tuned up.
CongaTick

Postby rumbaman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:13 pm

This is a great topic , i tell you every time i get on line their is something great here to take advantage of . i crap pretty offten sometimes i do'nt play gigs ,but i do play costantly here at home . I cramp at the forearm as a matter of fact i feel it now as i type . I do warm up as far as ht repititions and rolls , but i have never streched out my forearm . I am going to try this and hope it works . I thought i may have been dehydrated or something .

rumbaman :p
rumbaman

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:54 pm

Hey rumbaman, try the stretching excercise I do, you will find it stretches the forearms, palm, wrist and fingers beautifully, you should really feel it stretch, dont over stretch though, ie pain. but it should feel good, do it exactly as I wrote, and you will find that you can play heavilly straight up without warming up on the drum 'on the gig'.

Another good stretching excercise, is, sit at a good height infront of the congas. (ie head of conga at your elbows)
Place your wrist on the edge of the skin (side closest to you) and with the wrist still on the drum, lift your hand towards you(like as if you are going to do the HEEL part of the heel tip) and go as far back as you can... Hold it a few seconds, then come down on the drum, repeat a few times on both hands. (always maintaing the wrist or edge of you palm on the drum)

There are many warming up/stretching excersises. These are just a few stretching ones I like to do before getting down to business.

Try these and let us know how you go. Ive been doing them for years and have never cramped up.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby smidogg » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:30 pm

Over the years I have developed a short warm up/ stretch routine that works very well for me.
I actually start by stretching my back and shoulders for about 5 minutes.
After that I loosen my wrists and forearms by doing a "flapping" stretch that I learned in a clinic with Gio. All you do is lay your forearms on the drum with your hands hanging off the far side of the drum Then you flap your hands up and down for about 3 minutes. It seems easy but after a minute or two you can really feel the forearms warming up.
After that I do a couple minutes of pulling my fingers back toward my body stretching.
Once I am loose I do a quick run through of single strokes, double strokes, paradiddles, Triplets, 4 stroke mama pappas, 3 stroke mama pappas, then 5 stroke mamma pappas and triplets across 3 drums.
With all of those exercises I run through quick variations of tones, slaps etc, as well.
The whole thing takes between 20 and 25 minutes but can be varied for shorter times.
I play alot of regular gigs so I have been able to integrate this into my gigging routine.
I have found that It really allows me to play more relaxed and on top of that I hit the stage on down beat playing sharp. I am of the school of thought that the warming up should be done before you play not during the first song whenever possible. That way you are really performing.
smidogg

Postby rumbaman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Hey how you all doin' today . I have been doing the streching but man i still have a killer knot on my top left fore arm . I can't seem to relax it and it is very uncomfortable . I am going to try warm compresses on it and relax my hands and arms for a couple of days . This realy puts a dent in my practicing .

rumbaman :(
rumbaman

Postby onile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Alafia Rumbaman!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!
As for the "killer knot", if it's visible to you, or just slightly diminished, you might try "Shiatzu" (the art of Japenese finger massage!). I studied martial arts in my youth, and one of the most meaningful things I picked up from it was the art of healing. How it's done is you locate the injured area, attempt to locate the center of the spot and place the thumb of your free hand on it very gently. The next step is to begin, very gently again, pressing down on the area. Yes, it is uncomfortable to begin with, but focus on the energy eminating through the injured area. Hold your thumb on the area once you've reached a point of tolerance, then release it, move the thumb to another part of the injury, and apply the same amount of gradual pressure for the same length of time, and release again. Continue this until you've gone completly over the injured area. It's sort of like taking a sponge and putting it into a bowl of water, it absorbs the water in the bowl until you squeeze it out, then you place it into another bowl of clean water and the same happens. You begin to "flush" the injured area with fresh blood to help in the healing. It will also take away the lump/bruise if you continue with it.

Hope this helps!

Many blessings!

Tony
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby onile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:35 pm

Ooops!
I forgot, breathing is a very essential part of this process! While you are pressing down on the injured area breath out slowly, breath in when you release the pressure, then repeat when you begin to apply pressure once again. It helps if you can relax, sort of in a meditative state when you are doing this 'cause it helps you to visualize the healing process taking place!

Suave!
onile

Postby rumbaman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:45 pm

Hey thanks onile i will try that .

thanks again rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby NESTOR » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:25 pm

HI, ALL

HOW ARE YOU....I JUST ARRIVE TO THIS FORUM, AM RELATIVE ROOKIE ON CONGAS BUT IT WILL BE GREAT IF SOME OF YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME TO GIVE TO ME TRICKS TO PLAY BETTER MY LEFT HAND....EXCERCISES, ETC...

OVERALL WHEN I TRY SALSA...OR GUAGUANCO.

I HOPE YOUR SOON ANSWER

REGARDS AND THANKS...

NESTOR
NESTOR

Postby onile » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:03 pm

Alafia Nestor!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!

First of all, welcome to the forum, you'll find it quite informative/helpful, and entertaining as well!
One of the first things you can practice is "mami-papi"!

OO OO (repeat)
L L R R

There are drummers on this forum that can write it out much better than this, and can give you more practice drills to help you develop your left hand agility, but for now try this one. You can practice while watching TV, or just sitting around the house, on your lap, a table top, almost every where. Before long you'll see that your left hand is doing what your right hand is. This is called "muscle memory", getting your hand and wrist familiar with the movement by repeated excercises.

There are some posts on this forum, you just have to search for them, that have excercises already written out. You can also check on-line with the host of this forum, there are some books that give you exercises too. Have fun!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1131302928
onile

Postby windhorse » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:27 pm

BBTTBBTTBBTTBBTT
RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRL
windhorse

Postby Isaac » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:25 pm

I had taken several Tai Chi lessons to to help alleviate
my lower back back in the mid 80s. This was what my
chiropracter/conguero friend recommended. He also
taught the "Alexander Technique" to dance groups.
The warm ups for Tai Chai are also great for the hands,
and I still do them for stretching, for the arms, wrists,
and hands, also good for legs and back if you ever
need the strength to lift the conga for a deep bass note,
a disappearing technique in todays music.
I need to remember to stretch afterwards also.

~ ISAAC ~
Isaac

Postby onile » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:53 pm

Alafia brother Windhorse!
The exercise you posted, isn't that "galope?"
I've always like that one, as well as caballito

HT HT HT HT
RR LL RR LL

Suave
Onile
onile