Jammin' w/ bongos too. - Playing the Congas and the bongos together

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby doug » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:21 pm

I see alot of topics about congas or bongos but how many of you use both in your gigs? I love the transition between the two but it doesn't seem to be very common. I'm also intersetd in adding a cymbal somewhere in there, I was thinking a splash but any suggestions on mounting it?? Is there a mount you can use to attatch the bongos to the congas or just a bongo stand? Any and all replies would be great.
doug

Postby Mike » Sun Oct 28, 2001 4:56 pm

Interesting topic!
I have often played congas + bongos the following way:

Sort of basic bongo pattern with right hand and accents/fills with left hand on quinto (slaps!).
But I have seen many different ways, the problem being, it´s not easy to play musically with bongos + congas at the same time (at least not for me).
By the way, Trevor Salloum has some good ideas for this combination in his book "Beyond the basics - Bongo Drumming Vol.2", also incorporating cowbell.

As I play my heavy Afro Elite Elite on a stand (either seated or standing), there should be no problem to mount a cymbal with a claw to the stand. I´ve got a splash, but it´s not too good being hand-played.
Some pricy models are indeed!

Let´s see what the others think!?!
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:12 pm

Hi Master Henry Gibson plays with the bongos between his legs and the congas sitting in front of him. this is the way it used to be done,and a lot more challenging. the attack on the bongo is different from when they are between your legs verses having them on a stand,you can't really "slap" the bongo on a stand,and isn't that also part of playing the instrument? i hope that helps..at your service JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby DALE » Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:57 am

As far as stands go,when I got my Congas the stand was about 6 inches too short; easy solution, get my buddy Kev the welder to make up an extension to the top section of stand, very nice and individual. I had to stop him before he put an ashtray, beerholder and wing mirrors on ,but the principle is sound, bongo stands should be a cinch to stick on, at about a fifth of shop prices...
DALE

Postby congamyk » Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:28 pm

I play both sometimes. I use an individual bongo stand over the top of the congas. It's like playing an arrangement of 5 congas simultaneously. Tuning is of utmost importance! I tend to use the bongo combination for soloing and on the (turnaround) 3- 'AND' note, (try it, it works!)

As for the SLAP, I use the finest LP stand and have no problem with the slap. This stand is completely adjustable to any angle and will NOT move. You simply have to become accustomed to playing at that angle and learn to use your hand at that angle and then the stand instead of 'between your legs' is no problem.

(Edited by congamyk at 4:31 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)

(Edited by congamyk at 4:36 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)
congamyk

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:36 am

Just FYI, at the LP site there's a link labeled "Pros who play LP" and somewhere in there are about a dozen video clips of various luminaries at the controls. One clip is of Marc Quinones of Allman Brothers, set up with two congas with the bongo at the center forward. I am not qualified to comment on his style--I AM confident he's better than I am. I like what he does (like the wine neophyte who says he knows what he likes). Take a look.
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:52 pm

yea i'v seen it, he playes well.
to be honest i never liked playing congas and bongo at the same time, maybe its because i'm not versitile enough, but i never really enjoyed it, not that theres anything wrong with it, but thats just my oppinion.
keep on playing.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises