Tumbao - A replacement.

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby mangorockfish » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 am

I know there are lots of variations to the tumbao, but if you are playing a song using a straight tumbao, is there some other beat that will fit almost perfectly in place of the tumbao.
mangorockfish

Postby Charangaman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi mangorockfish,

Do you mean a regular Marcha?

I guess it would depend on what the bass is doing but you could try a Songo or Bolero maybe? Or maybe a funk groove or Jibaro..?

Hope this helps..
Charangaman

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:19 am

Charangaman, thank you for the input. I will try to implement your suggestins. Looked them up in the Conga Book and will start trying to use them.
THanks again,
Mango
mangorockfish

Postby akdom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi

The tumbao (marcha) can be improved acccordingto the feeling of the tune... keep it as the base and feel free to improve it.

B
akdom

Postby zaragenca » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Welcome,I think I had said it before that the musical phase,(pattern),could be modified within the structure of what the rest of the rhythms/section is doing,(what is call in Cuba buscando la formula),and.......if skillful.. even change the parameter of the articulation,just to brake the rutine.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby Jongo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:26 pm

Depending on the tune you are playing I think I would try incorporating a Songo into what you are doing. You can play straight Tumbao and play some variations but then at some key points of the arrangement you could go to a Songo to have a different sound and feel and maybe you want to build up a certain part with more energy and play something more full. Then back to Tumbao. I think Charangaman's idea of a funk groove is also a good idea.
Jongo

Postby franc » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:45 am

you can also accent one or a few notes of the regular tumbao. you can also accent for ex. two bars when ever you feel and when necessary come back to the steady tumbao. or do what my friends above has sugested . take care and my best, franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:13 pm

You need to listen to Papo Pepin. Perhaps the best at changing the basic tumbao and adding hits or notes within the basic tumbao or the regular marcha. Little Johnny Rivera is also good at this. (Most of the new congueros emulate a lot Papo Pepin).

Personally, I think you could add variations to the regular tumbao or marcha as long as you meet two things: #1 - You are in clave, #2 - Your are within the "regular two bars" that a normal tumbao or marcha should have. (It could go longer than two bars but see below...)

However, be aware that you have to be careful. Doing too many things of "fillings" within those two bars and/or doing a tumbao for longer than two bars will create a sense of "busyness" in your pattern. (Not always but there is a fine line. to watch and will depend).

In my opinion, when you break that "two bar" rule, your conga playing could sound like you are trying a solo in the middle of the song when you are suppose to be in a "pocket" or in afinque providing the rhythmic base of the tune.

My opinion!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Jongo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:09 pm

I think Raymond is right about being careful not to sound too busy. I had just joined this jazz group and I wanted to show what I could do and I was playing this and that and the band leader told me that it was too busy and to cut back. I didn't like it but he was right. I had something to say with the congas but I was not doing it at the right time. So I had to chill out and play in the pocket then hit 'em up with some hot conga at the right moment so that I was adding to the tune rather than detracting by being a distraction.
Jongo

Postby franc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 am

raymond,
how true !! how true, !!lot of sense. like always great'' consejos'' and fantastic threads of knowledge. my best and ache to you always . franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby CongaTick » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Dead-on right, Raymond.

I think all of us in a band/jam/gig situation have probably been asked to keep it in the pocket versus too busy. I know I have. As an experiment during practice, I'll try pushing the limits of the 2 bar rule with cool fills to the point where I know it's beginning to sound more like a solo. Helps me realize what I SHOULDN'T be doing with other musicians. Good advice, Raymond. Thanks for the reminder.
CongaTick

Postby Raymond » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:12 pm

I do not consider myself a great conga player but I've listen to lots of so called conga players and that thing of keeping yourself within two rules have been something some of the ones people hate violate.

The conga player has a tough job in maintaining a loop with the tumbao. You could variate but you have to keep that loop with the variations. (Like I mentioned, Papo Pepin and Little Johnny are great at that. Listen to their records).

The tumbao has to to subtle, graceful and consistant. (Remember the loop). I know various great congueros, the major soloits or wonders, that there are claims that they cannot play in a group because they are always trying to show their chops and their tumbaos are not consistant. They could get by with it but not everybody can. And at the end, believe it or not, so many great chops or long tumbaos with slaps and 16th notes, people get tired of.

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises