Columbia question

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Columbia question

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:35 am

What makes columbia a columbia? I've heard "aguado coloya" from Grupo Afro Cuba. After listening for a few seconds it reminded me of an abacua de Matanza which I play with 3 drums with the 2 open tones on middle and left, 1 open on right (Viscaino youtube). I replaced with one open tone for all 3 at speed and it fits perfect. Now is that because anything in 6/8 is or fits in columbia or am I hearing it wrong? I know the parts for columbia but every now and then I hear something thats not typical but labeled columbia. Can someone give me more info on columbia as far as the structure of it and what classifies. Thanks!
TONE74

Re: Columbia question

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:45 am

Typical Rumba Columbia pattern on congas/tumbadoras, seen below, missing is the clave with bell/cencerro etc.. But thats another discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73I78fQYkI

Another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auwn_9jgHbw

One more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQWxwd5t710

Again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkcMIy8LAnU

Hope these helped.
I can try to make a short clip for you and upload to youtube if you like.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks for the links Abakua, dam too bad that first one is dark that sounds like a nice 2 drum pattern for the tumba and conga part. Something easy that I know I can learn. I'll try messing with the monitor settings see if I can make out the strokes with the left hand.
I guess theres a lot of variety in columbia and the 6/8 thing is not as easy to figure out to me as lets say a guguanco.
If you can post a pattern on there for my benefit ( and others ) I would appreciate that. I've seen your videos and you got skills so I know it would be good. Peace
TONE74

Postby guarachon63 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:23 pm

I've heard "aguado coloya" from Grupo Afro Cuba.

Hi Tone, where did you hear this, is it on a CD somewhere?
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Whats up Barry, its on Grupo Afro Cuba - Raices africanas cd.
That cd is worth buying if you don't already have it. That song is definitely on my favorite rumbas list. That lady is a very good singer I specially like the first two rhymes on it.
TONE74

Postby guarachon63 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Ah yeah thanks, yes I know that CD, just didn't know that track by name. I do remember they play an unusual style of columbia on that one.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby windhorse » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 pm

That is also one of my favorite CDs! Yeah, that female voice is awesome!! I just recently found a new CD by a group named Conjunto Oba Ire, I believe out of NY. They also have a singer that sounds like Mercedes Valdez. You can find them on myspace, and Cafe Press.

So, on the CD in question, they play at least two Columbias. Towards the end of the CD, it might even be the last song, they play a crazy sounding Columbia where the tone sequence goes up and down like an Abakua, and I can see how you'd wonder about that one..

Most Columbia's I've heard have the tone pattern either ascending or descending,, and that's the only recording where I've heard it go up, then down.. But, the big difference is that on the Abakua, the lowest tone is on the "uh" right before the third strike of clave, and the "&" right after the last strike of clave.
Also, generally, the columbia moves quicker with a more raging quinto.. and dance - sometimes with knives!

Dave
Last edited by windhorse on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windhorse

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Also, generally, the columbia moves quicker with a more raging quinto.. and dance - sometimes with knives!

There are some different drum patterns for the various rumbas and several styles of Columbia. However what I think makes a Columbia a Columbia, the YambĂș a YambĂș and so on is what you don't hear on a record: the dance.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen this one this one has a unique sound too in my opinion. I'm big on it. I guess its because they have 3 holding down the rhythm plus the quinto. Its off the hook listen to the tones. Y los Habaneros dicen que el campo no puede con la Habana, ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9hB4hYBng
TONE74

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 pm

TONE74 wrote:Thanks for the links Abakua, dam too bad that first one is dark that sounds like a nice 2 drum pattern for the tumba and conga part. Something easy that I know I can learn. I'll try messing with the monitor settings see if I can make out the strokes with the left hand.
I guess theres a lot of variety in columbia and the 6/8 thing is not as easy to figure out to me as lets say a guguanco.
If you can post a pattern on there for my benefit ( and others ) I would appreciate that. I've seen your videos and you got skills so I know it would be good. Peace

Here you go bro, let me know if this helps, I can make another with cowbell/cencerro added etc if you like. Was shot quickly just before I left for rehearsal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5aA6H2uFNQ
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JayMacho » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm

On the dvd that Afrocuba recently put out they play that style of columbia that you guys are talking about.

JAY
La Llave es la Clave!
JayMacho

Postby TONE74 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 am

Thanks Abakua! I thought you forgot about me bro, I downloaded that right to my hard drive, gonna start working on it soon. I needed that in my arsenal.
Last edited by TONE74 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TONE74

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:05 am

Actually I heard that the term 'columbia' came from a train staion stop in Matanzas where the locals would jam on thier lunch hours....but I have never had it really confirmed....Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby yambu321 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:34 pm

ABAKUA,

Once again, you have come forward, to share with us some wonderful and very helpful videos.

I'm very sure the video's you have posted will help many members learn and or refresh on what they have once learned.

You're The Man. :)

Charlie "El Coqui" Verdejo
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Gracias Charlie. :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises