Rumba Columbia

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Rumba Columbia

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Hey folks, hope everyone is doing great. Can someone please write out the pattern for the tres dos part for a rumba columbia? A BIG thanks!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Re: Rumba Columbia

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi afrocubarico,

I posted this in the other Columbia thread, while its not notation, it may help you.

Marcelo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5aA6H2uFNQ
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Abakua,
That's awesome! This totally helped me, thanks dude.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Im glad it helped you out. I will try to record another in the next few days with some added clave on cencerro/bell.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby CongaTick » Thu May 15, 2008 11:24 am

Abakua,
That's the sort of short vid clips that are so totally valuable to us students. Anybody who posts tech-vids deserves a great debt of gratitude for sharing. Thanks again. Big, big help.
CongaTick

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Im glad you found it resourceful, thanks again, by the way, if there is something in particular you want to see, I am more than happy to make these clips if I can help you out, I will.
Just let me know. :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby congaDR » Thu May 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Nice technique Abakua!

Nice flat hands - good camera angle to show off you chops!

Tony
congaDR

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Gracias Tony, I got some other clips on my youtube page, puedes check em out here: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Masula123 Hope you like em. :)

Marcelo
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby afrocubarico » Thu May 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Abakua,
Great videos! Thanks for sharing these with us. I love that video where you're playing with a mask on, LMAO!!!! On that video, is that a 6/8 rhythm you're playing? Also, are you using a Changuito move? Great stuff dude. I think your technique is tight as well as your timing. Btw, how did you end up in Australia? I imagine there not too many Latinos in those necks of the woods. Care to enlighten us with that story? Thanks again hermano!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby pavloconga » Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 pm

afrocubarico wrote:Hey folks, hope everyone is doing great. Can someone please write out the pattern for the tres dos part for a rumba columbia? A BIG thanks!

afrocubarico

Here's the version I learned from Guillermo Lopez Clemente of the Folklorico Nacional in Cuba. Showing the individual drum parts for the salidor and the tres dos (Keep in mind there are many different ways of playing these individual parts, but the basic rhythmic structure for Columbia always remains).

Have also included notation of 2 ways of playing Columbia for one player covering the tres dos and the salidor.

ciao
pavlo
Attachments
rumba-columbia.jpg
pavloconga

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 16, 2008 2:37 am

afrocubarico wrote:Abakua,
Great videos! Thanks for sharing these with us. I love that video where you're playing with a mask on, LMAO!!!! On that video, is that a 6/8 rhythm you're playing? Also, are you using a Changuito move? Great stuff dude. I think your technique is tight as well as your timing. Btw, how did you end up in Australia? I imagine there not too many Latinos in those necks of the woods. Care to enlighten us with that story? Thanks again hermano!

afrocubarico

Hola brother,

Firstly, thanks for the kind comments on the vids, Im glad you dug it. The one with EL MISTERIOSO :wink: was a formula shown tome by Anga, using an adaptation of Changuitos mano secreta. 6/8 played in 4 or 6 depending on how you place empasis on the beats etc...
There are actually many latinos here, I mean, not as many as like in NYC, but there are many.
Latin bands, salsa scene, rumba etc, all found here, lots of great musicians, some very good percussionists also.
I ended up here cause I arrived as a baby with my parents back in 78 or somethin like that. Have travelled a fair bit since then but have always lived here.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby afrocubarico » Thu May 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Abakua,
After over a week of trying to figure out this pattern exactly how you play it on the "Misterioso" video I finally got it! This is an awesome pattern. At first I thought I had it but each time I kept practicing it, I realized that it did not sound the way you play it on the video. I must have rewound that video at least 200 times! Then I kept playing it in my head over and over. After a few adjustments I finally hit it on the nail. Now I will practice, practice, and practice it until I can do it in my sleep. This was an ass kicker in my opinion, especially the left hand patterns but boy was it worth it. After I get it polish it down, I'll start sprinkling in some improv/riffs to it. Thanks again for posting this video dude. Hey man, if you ever find yourself down in the NYC definitely look me up. Peace!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby Tone » Fri May 30, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey Abakua,

this rhythm you played there in the misterioso clip sounds great and sounds to me like an adaptation of chacha lokafun. I play one very similar with slighly different technique. It is a very good example of true poly rhythm. The onkokolo plays in 2 and the itotele in 3 while the iya does its thing on the bass.
If you play the standard breaks for chachalokafun with your rhythm it will sound great (which is almost what you do in the clip anyway).

Nice one!

peace

Tone
tone
Tone

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises