how about santana grooves - santana written music for congas

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby rumbaman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey hy you all . How about sites that have or offer santana rythums .
rumbaman :cool:
rumbaman

Postby tamboricua » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:24 pm

rumbaman wrote:Hey hy you all . How about sites that have or offer santana rythums .
rumbaman :cool:

Hi Rumbaman,

Hope all is well! Don't know about sites, but I know there are couple of videos, DVD's out there with the current Santana percussionists demonstrating several of Santana grooves.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1126812692
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:45 pm

Most of the Santana grooves are based simply on the Cha cha cha and sometimes 6/8 but nothing really exciting, he's been playing the same stuff for 35 years and getting away with it...and believe me there is NO written music in Santana's band for congas....and never has been...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:49 pm

Greeting in that respect I just did a presentation with Tabu last night Sept/17 where we play among others several songs from the Santana Band,the others percussionists were my percussion students,the Lating tunes as JC,mentioned are Cha/Cha/Cha,Guajira, Son,Bolero,and Rumba.They could not write anything for the congas becouse,(at that time), the percossionists could not have been able to read it anyway. Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1126994080
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby rumbaman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:13 pm

How are you all today . Thanks again for the information on the santana sheet music . I did not know that their were none . If any one knows any dvd 's i would like to know how to look for them .

thanks rumbaman

:D
rumbaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:24 pm

I don't where u live but u can go in to any Video place and go to their music sections and look for Videos/DVD's of Santana in concert...there are quite a few...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:38 pm

rumbaman wrote:If any one knows any dvd 's i would like to know how to look for them .

thanks rumbaman

:D

Hi Rumbaman,

Hope all is well! Attached is a link to the first video, now available on DVD, that Raul Rekow and Karl Perazzo recorded for LP a while back. They have one or two more available from Warner Brothers Publications. Hope this helps!

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product....an.html

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127236526
tamboricua

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:20 pm

Talking about the DVD,they both came to the Guitar Center,(where I used to do clinics),during their percussion tour,I got a called from the GC and I went down,also about two of my percussion students were in the crowd of about 50 people,but before they started with the presentation they said an Abakua Phrase,the mayority of the people were caucasian and childrens,but I was in the corner,and I answered the phrase,and everybody looked to me,(I didn't expect them to come with that,and they didn't expect in that crowd, anybody to know what it was neither),so it was kind of fun after all,and we have a few words,after the show.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1128636123
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby rumbaman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:18 pm

Hey thank you guys for the great suggestions . I'm intrested in that video . Let me ask you was it a good teaching video as far as Raul's conga rythums .

thanks my brothers
Rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby bongo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:44 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Most of the Santana grooves are based simply on the Cha cha cha and sometimes 6/8 but nothing really exciting, he's been playing the same stuff for 35 years and getting away with it...and believe me there is NO written music in Santana's band for congas....and never has been...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):

To me the band IS exciting, it was my first introduction to Latin/African music. The first four albums were really hot, the rhythms diverse, and I had to go buy a pair of bongos and try it myself. Michael Carabello and Jose Areas are still heroes of mine.

I like the Olatunji cover of 'Jingo', and Tito Puente's 'Para Los Rumberos'. The guaguanco was used effectively in 'Waiting', 'El Nicoya', and 'Future Primitive'. Some of the stuff I've never heard elsewhere, it must have been a creative vision.

It was hard for my rock and roll conditioned ears to grasp Santana's clave feel, and I searched for notation too and it was hard to find. The book 'Salsa!' by Charley Gerard has good notation of El Danzon, El Son, La Rumba, and Songo. As has been pointed out, here lies the roots of Santana.
bongo

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:18 pm

Now don't get me wrong here..Michael and Chepito played very well together. I know I saw them and almost played with them back in 1971, but that is another story...Michael was a player from the parks in San Fransisco and Chepito is from South America but they worked well from what i saw..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby 35-1169066129 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:39 am

Alex Pertout transcribed this Conga Solo. Hope it helps someone.

http://pertout.customer.netspace.net.au/lcongasolo.htm
35-1169066129

Postby CongaTick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:10 pm

Welcome back #1A.
CongaTick

Postby 35-1169066129 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Thank You CongaTick!
35-1169066129

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises