Do you ever hit the conga heads in the middle?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Do you ever hit the conga heads in the middle?

Postby burke » Tue May 06, 2008 11:33 pm

I betcha the poor music teacher who obviously had never seen a conga before and had a basic, basic, basic question about his student hitting it in the middle is loooong gone from our band of enthusiasts :D
Burke
burke

Postby burke » Tue May 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Kinda like the response I'd expect if I went to a "Star Trek" forum and innocently asked: "Who's better...Pichard or Kirk?" :D :D :D
Burke
burke

Postby pavloconga » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 am

Mike wrote:)

Third, I know teachers are always budget-stricken, but the Aspire series by LP is not the best to choose (to put it mildly). In the mid-range section
you might have gotten better drums (especially second-hand).

The LP Aspires are OK. They are fine to learn on. I own a pair (I also own a set of 3 Palladiums and 3 vintage Gon Bops).
For some particular gigs the Aspires are fine. Yesterday I played a gig with a 25 piece orchestra - and they supplied me with guess what - a pair of LP Aspires. They were fine for the gig. Horses for courses.

I think as a first set of congas they're fine and will take you a long way without spending a lot. I think it's actually better to develop your technique on sub standard equipment.

If there's one thing I've learned in my travels and studies in Cuba and Africa is that it's nice to have great drums - but it's MUCH more important to have great technique. Give me a crappy old drum with great technique any day over a top of the line conga played with poor technique. I guarantee you if my 70 year old teacher in Cuba got his hands on a pair of Aspires he would be capable of making them sing, scream, shout and whisper. :D Because as a true Rumbero his technique is as near to perfect and impeccable as I've ever seen.

As for hitting the drums in the middle, there are many techniques that utilise that area of the drum. As well as the palm of the hand there is a technique that uses a closed fist for a different kind of bass sound.

regards
pavlo
pavloconga

Postby Derbeno » Thu May 15, 2008 9:02 am

burke wrote:I betcha the poor music teacher who obviously had never seen a conga before and had a basic, basic, basic question about his student hitting it in the middle is loooong gone from our band of enthusiasts :D

You are right. It was a case of hit and run. :P

Here are his stats:
Last visited:
Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 am
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Mike » Thu May 15, 2008 12:54 pm

pavloconga wrote:
The LP Aspires are OK. They are fine to learn on. I own a pair (I also own a set of 3 Palladiums and 3 vintage Gon Bops).
For some particular gigs the Aspires are fine. Yesterday I played a gig with a 25 piece orchestra - and they supplied me with guess what - a pair of LP Aspires. They were fine for the gig. Horses for courses.

I think as a first set of congas they're fine and will take you a long way without spending a lot. I think it's actually better to develop your technique on sub standard equipment.

You are so right to mention the fact that brilliant players might get a fantastic sound even out of a cardboard box or dustbin. I simply recommended the original poster a better drum from the start because after some time&technique, he might want to upgrade, but would have to realize other congas exceed the budget and - sad but true - mounting better skins on Los Aspiritos is pricey and tricky too, with the d*** sewn-in skins.

But why am I still writing - topic-starter seems to have vanished anyway.
So Burke is right when saying
I betcha the poor music teacher who obviously had never seen a conga before and had a basic, basic, basic question about his student hitting it in the middle is loooong gone from our band of enthusiasts

- well we aren´t enthusiasts for no reason
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Mike wrote:
You are so right to mention the fact that brilliant players might get a fantastic sound even out of a cardboard box or dustbin.

Speaking of which....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=03thh9Q51ts

:lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Thu May 15, 2008 2:09 pm

G´day, Abakua!

Great vid :)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby pavloconga » Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 pm

giovanni - brilliant as usual!
pavloconga

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises