Getting started on the congas - Are there any bad habits to avoid?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby rumbaman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:45 pm

Hey nice pic JC . You do have to look good and comfortable . My other instructor used to say you have to play like you are having a good time always ,because no one wants to see a musician stressed out while playing .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby CongaTick » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Yup, feeling good, indeed!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... gaTick.jpg
CongaTick

Postby rumbaman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Hey nice pics gentelmen . You guys made me smile 'cause you all look like your having a blast . Im going to have to send a pic .

havin' fun rumbaman

:laugh:
rumbaman

Postby Congaroo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi congeros out there!
I´m completely new to playing the conga and this week I had my first lesson with my teacher.
What we did was that what you described as basics, playing bass tones and open tones and simple rhythms. Also we did some exercises for coordination right/left hand. Thats pretty cool, despite it´s quite hard for me as a newbie.
Time was running by and I am really looking forward to my next lesson despite this will also be basic techniques.

I was so happy about playing my first tones an my new conga (a Meinl Professional) that in the evening I did a session with my band, drumming for fun plenty of time.

So my advice to beginners: It´s really good to have a teacher, makes a lot of fun!

(Hope I didn´t bore you writing too much :D )

cu, Congaroo

Edited By Congaroo on 1173999296
Congaroo

Postby Thomas » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:54 am

Hi Congaroo!
Nice to hear that you enjoy the playing!
Which school do you attend? Is it the "Latin Percussion School" in Munich led by Cesar Granados? If so, how is it?
All the best,
Tom!
Thomas

Postby pavloconga » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:33 am

Thee are some good instructional DVDs out there but definitely fInd a good conga teacher! :D

Here are three in Melbourne that I know:

Javier Fredes is an extremely good conga player on the Australian scene. I'm not sure if he is teaching. I haven't caught up with him for a year or more.

Javier's first teacher (and mine) was Melbourne based percussionist Ray Periera -he is an extremely competent percussionist and very good teacher also. I spent about 5 years learning with him and he really knows his stuff.

Alex Pertout is another very good Melb based player - though I haven't met him or heard him play he does have a very good rep and teaches at the Victorian College of the Arts.

It's worth investing in lessons with a GOOD teacher even if it costs much more, at least you will learn correct technique and won't spent countless hours trying to undo bad habits.

here's some links to all three:

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/music/stories/mav/javier.htm

see: http://home.iprimus.com.au/bongopereira/

http://pertout.customer.netspace.net.au/

cheers :;):
Pavlo

Edited By pavloconga on 1174041250
pavloconga

Postby JimG » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi all, I call myself a re-beginner. I am self taught from the early 80's and just picked it up again. echo echo on a teacher.

I will offer this simple advice. WARM-UP your body. You are venturing into 10's of thousands of intense wrist and arm movements that you have not done before. Warming up the muscles are essential to good technique training.

JimG
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
JimG

Postby Congaroo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi Tom! No, I get my lessons by Mr. Stefan Spatz, who usually leads a music school in Passau, but on 2 days he travels to my hometown near Munich to teach here.

I met Cesar Granados at a workshop in Munich and it was amazing! The only cause why I don´t take my lessons by him is that it´s quite far away from home.
But perhaps I change to Granados in September, when the new "Latin Conga" courses start.
Right now I´m satisfied with Mr. Spatz, his lessons are only 1 km away from my flat, so I don´t have to spend too much time in driving around. :cool:
Congaroo

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises