Rumba at La Pena 5/08

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Rumba at La Pena 5/08

Postby congaDR » Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 pm

La Pena's rumba was very fun...

Man Michael La Brada has one of the best sounding voices ive heard. Straight from the streets of Havana.

But the best singer in this area is a cat named Alexis Zayas Rosabal, but Michael is a close second, for me. Fito Reinoso, Yaya, Orlando, Jose Luis... we have some serious singers here in the bay... I'm planning on studying with Yaya, with the dream of eventually becoming an akpwon.

I've arranged for Irish Rick to pick up Michael on the way to the rumbas, so he'll be back in the scene! We are so so lucky to have him around.

From Flaco's site Flaco.net about Alexis, the top singer of folklorico in the bay area.

'Alexis Zayas Rosabal is the son of famed Conjunto Folklórico Nacional de Cuba singer Cándido Zayas Díaz, and has himself a distinguished career as a singer, with groups such as Raíces Profundas, Danza Nacional De Cuba,la Escuela Nacional De Arte (La ENA/El LISA),and El Conjunto Folklórico Nacional de Cuba. For many years he has also been the akpwón for Regino Jiménez, with el tambor de Jesús Pérez.'

Tony
congaDR

Re: Rumba at La Pena 5/08

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 21, 2008 8:34 pm

I wish we had some Rumberos here in Seattle..been here 6 years and can't get anybody to Rumba, most don't even know how, or care to.... :( Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby umannyt » Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 pm

JC,

So what's stopping you from moving down here to California, especially the ever-beautiful Bay Area? :wink:

If it's the cost of housing, then it's a great time to buy/rent one. Houses have never been relatively "cheaper" for a long while. :)

Peace,
umannyt

Postby congaDR » Thu May 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Yea JC,

The community is tight, and will help you get set up. Always room for another talented player. not a lot of gig work in the club scene, but the private party/festival/farmers market gigs are plentiful. There are many dancers, and if you live outside of Oakland and SF, you can start dance classes, for some mid week income.

I forgot to mention that the most experienced Akpwon in the area is, of course, Carlos Aldama, and Marcus Gordon is right up there as well. There are a few others...

When i said folklorico, i should have made a distinction between the Santeros and the Rumberos, but that's for another post...

Tony
congaDR

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu May 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks guys for the invitation....haven't thought about living in SF.....i guess there are more "dedicated" drummers there than here. See here we have what i call the "academic" players....they read music, have a degree in something, and some have been to Cuba...but they dont' "live the life" they use their academia to become Teachers, with absolutly NO experience what so ever as a "perfroming musician" or very limited....i could name names that would surprise u here that have made there living here as Teachers of the Conga drum, but I wind up having to "re-teach" their former students, if and when they come to me, and a few have already...Im kinda planted here now..not too happyy with the "playing for free"" bullshit here, most of the so-called musicians are "Tech's" and make a good living,so music is like a "hobby" to play for their ego's and their friends and family's...EVERYBODY here thinks they can teach the drum....WRONG!....after saying this is all i can say is I miss the Rumba and the Rumba mentality and the "comaraderie" of Rumberos....there is none of that here in Seattle....Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu May 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Hey Johnny, your always welcome to visit, there are quite a few
congaboard members down here in SF, several of us know each other
and are friends.

We would all love to have you down here, consider it an open invitation!
bongosnotbombs

Postby umannyt » Thu May 22, 2008 7:01 pm

JC,

You're very welcome!

I know that you teach at a university there, play with a corporate band and have some students. But, with your long and vast experience, I can see you teaching here, too, perhaps at the prestigious U.C. Berkeley or University of California East Bay (Hayward) near my home which has a very respectable Music Dept./Program.

With your stint with international recording artists, Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77, I don't see you having much problem getting hired by any of the excellent corporate bands here: from the North Bay down to the South Bay (San Jose), if not another world-class band. I personally know the band leaders of at least two corporate bands.

As for private students, I'd easily speculate that the market here is more huge than up there in Washington.

Just thoughts for your consideration,
umannyt

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises