Unnatural or natural stroke - placement of the hands and arms

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:16 am

Here is my problem. I was just in the middle of a practice session when I realized that when I do a single stroke tone roll my right arm is reasonably still and my wrist is doing all the work. This is what I want and I think most people want. But, my left hand is totally out of wack. I seem to be using little of my wrist and my arm is controlling the whole stroke. To make matters a little worse, my left hand falls on a very odd angle (contrasting my right hand which falls straight to the conga head). The angle is - down yet away from the body causing a very odd mixture.

Please help! Give me some ideas on how to stop this.

I looked at this problem and got a little scared!

Piece
Toby

Postby Charangaman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Don't panic firstly.

If you haven't a teacher who can observe and correct you, try putting a mirror in position so you can see yourself from a different perspective and make the necessary adjustments.
Charangaman

Postby onile » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Alafia Abures Toby and Charangaman!
I hope that you are both well.

Welcome to the forum brother Toby!
I would assume based on your message above that you are predominantly "right-handed", correct?
If so, then what you are dealing with is 'muscle memory', easily corrected, or learned if you continue practicing correctly. The most tedious and some might think, boaring exercises are the fundamentals, single tones, slaps, muff-tones and the works.

Take a single drum, get comfortable and begin with open-tones. Pay attention to the level of the head of the drum in relation to a 90 degree bend in your arms, in other words make sure that the drum is at a comfortable level for you. Now, as you start with your exercises, check your right hand attack, is it producing the sound effect that you want? and does it feel comfortable, meaning no major discomfort? Now pay close attention to the position of attack (wrist, elbow, shoulders) remember to relax and breathe, and then apply the same with the left side. Don't be discourage if it doesn't happen right away, but eventually with practice and determination, you'll begin to see that your left hand technique will 'mirror' your right hand's technique.

Every player has a different approach to achieveing a greater level of playing, so take it in stride and use what works for you. I'm sure that you'll get some fantastic advice here from our percussion family!

Once again, welcome to the forum/family!

Many blessings!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1153414412
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:20 pm

Try starting more drills with the left hand and open that side up..Onile is right about "muscle memory", eventually will take hold thru "repetition"...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D Toby if u have a WEBCAM i can help you out...email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com first ...
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:51 pm

That's what I'm talkin' bout JC!

Hook a brotha up Papa!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ManOfRhythm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:31 pm

It sounds as though your right hand is doing the right thing. Carefully practice the exact motion and feel of your right hand and train your left hand to exactly mimic the physiology. Easier said than done, but getting the non-dominant hand up to par with the dominant one is tedious, but a worth while goal.
ManOfRhythm

Postby solo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:05 pm

halo toby!

nice to knowing you. I do have same problem with you. in the fiirst time I learned, I have dificullties to control my left hand that's why the tone isn't really clear. in my case, i tried to practice single stroke, double stroke and paradidle at low tempo for 5-10 minute, but you should pay a lot of attention to hand position. you should also force the left hand move under your control. do also wirst exersice according to giovanni method(that't work to me). the last, I try to do tumbao with my left hand. one more, try to begin every bar in your practice with left hand and try to move your mind from right hand to both of your hand. it's really hard to me. but after do that, I become more realize of my left hand.

just patient and keep pratice, then you will see that the tone will come after you! hope that can help. tell us your progress!

ade asmitha

Edited By solo on 1154705722
solo

Postby pidoca » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:46 am

G'day Toby. Hope life is treating you well. i f it's not maybe you can gain some happyness from knowing that you get a free trip around the sun every 365 days.

I have just over come the same problem, ( to be honest i will be over coming it for a long time as i am right handed) But getting to the point.

In Gio's dvd/video "one on one" he goes through some warm up excercises away from the conga. very helpful.

The greatest piece of advice I got though was from my drum set teacher "Mitch Farmer" .

http://www.mitchfarmer.com

The exercise looks like the old karate kid movie.

PAINT UP / PAINT DOWN

You stand up and have you arms and hands moving in a fluent motion up and down. imagine that there is a conga in front of you and you are hitting it. But do not stop where the imaginary connga head would be, follow through.

Imagine that your fingers are the brush bristles, your wrist where the bristle join the but of the brush and so forth. slow fluent movements. Tai Chi like.

For me It felt really unko. I could not control my left arm or wrist. But instead of just working my left arm I tried to get simetry between both.

try it alone. Not a good look for a bloke to be doing it in front of his Misses or at the pub.

God Bless
PIDOCA
http://www.cabritamusic.com

:D
pidoca

Postby Amber » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi.

"paint up, paint down" that´s exactly the same exercise my first teacher showed me. Looks a bit strange but it works, especially for developing the slap sound.
Second this teacher was very stong in insisting that every ecercise or pattern must be started VERY slow in the beginning: if the sounds are not clear it is to fast..costs nerves but I can recommend this as well !!

Best regards

Amber
Amber

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:15 pm

Like Mr. Miyagi said ..."wipe on wipe off"...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:13 am

Oh the frustration! So i haven't been suffering from this problem for a while. And I'm in practice again today and i noticed it but i t wasn't like looking at a small version of the problem. It's quite a big deal.

I guess i just have to keep working at it.

Some of you were talking about the exercises in the Giovanni dvd - conga virtuoso and mano a mano. Would you please describe them to me?

Thanks everyone

Toby
Toby

Postby arf1208 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:52 pm

:;): One of the best method:
you have to teach your body to do any thing as well as you want.it will be happend if you move it very slowly.you have to pay attention to all of your hand when it is moving.if you do it fast your body cant understand what you want.this is better to say your brain have to learn what do u want.
GOOD LUCK :;):
arf1208

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:01 pm

Giovanni just released his own "Beginner Conga" book with CD..it teaches u to read and "play along" with Giovanni and it is very basic...That can hold u until my Learning DVD "CongaRobics" comes out...Everyone here gets a discounted price for being a member.....so be patient in your learning the conga drum .....think of it kinda like Karate...your just a white belt...then green....then brown...then Black...so this is something u cant rush into..u have to be "methodical" about your approach and set up a "practice method" for yourself on a daily basis of up to 2 hours at a time, at least, if you want quicker results...my 3 congas..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises