The long and winding road to slapping - difficult, difficult

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:41 pm

I have read and practiced with many instructional books concerning slaps (what was it again, the big popping sound), but eventually, there also seems to be an anatomical aspect to it!?!?
I have have rather long, skinny spider fingers, so it is almost impossible for me to hit the drum head with the flat hand at the edge but i MUST cup the hand (which is "strictly prohibited") . O dearme, was that my conga career (sob!). I have the feeling I CAN produce at least sometimes decent ´popping slap, but is THIS the real thing (great sob!) Help!!!
And the heel-toe-business mentioned in another post is not much easier to me either.
Desperation!
Mike

Postby CongaMan » Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:35 pm

Don't be desperate Mike!!
I do not think there's any limitation for spiders!
I have many friends with big hands and long fingers who play congas in a great way with no problem...
keep on practicing and you will see results!! I have the same problem with fast tempos where you don't have time to cup the hand but sooner or later I hope the correct sound will come off the drums ...
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Kracker » Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:33 pm

Hi Mike, don't worry, if you say it has 'popped' out a couple of times that means IT IS THERE!!! I get really frustrated but the key seems to be as much practice as possible (like you didn't already know that). Plus,

1. make sure that your conga is properly tuned, if its too slack it will be hard to slap properly.

2. Don't forget to mute with your other hand. Don't just have your hand on the drum, apply a bit of pressure

Eventually your hand WILL hit in the right spot that brings out the pop.

One final thought, who said you have a 'big popping sound'. Produce the pop thats you, the pop that you like the sound of, not just whats expected.

I mentioned my frustrations earlier, basically I get a great slap with my left hand, really dry and dull. My right hand slap often has an overtone to it which I don't like (see my earlier post), BUT one in five will be the one I like. The more I practice the more my right hand seems to be naturally finding the best spot. Keep it up!!!

God Bless...Kracker
Kracker

Postby paulo da salvia » Sat Apr 28, 2001 9:12 pm

Hi Mike,
don't worry, just keep on practicing and the slap will come out: be sure of it!!!:cheesy:
I think in your post you're talking about only one of the three kinds of slap i know (tapao "cerrado", tapao "normal" and tapao "abierto" ). So what about the other slaps? Same difficulties?
stay tuned!
paulo
paulo da salvia

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises