CONGA HANDS

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby GalloPinto » Thu Dec 20, 2001 4:36 pm

someone told me you need to develop a callus on your fingertips to be a conguero. Well i don't know much about this but i would like to know the deal about this callus theory. Will you get better sounds if you have callus? I need the veterans to help me on this.
GalloPinto

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Dec 21, 2001 6:14 pm

Developing callouses on your hands is part of playing the conga drum. Everyones skin is different,and reacts accordingly. Callous IS necessary in developing your sound on the drum and constant hitting on the skin just naturally develops,callouses. After so many years they are part of your hand development,you just have to keep them "Down" by using a pummus stone to "shave them to be smaller and softer. If not the callous grows in and it's like having a nail driven thru your hand. Also to keep down of cracking,use hand lotion,and johnson and johnson "Sheer Strip" one inch bandaids,they stay on the finger and heal at the same time while ur playing.....At your service JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby babyconga » Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:24 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Developing callouses on your hands is part of playing the conga drum. Everyones skin is different,and reacts accordingly. Callous IS necessary in developing your sound on the drum and constant hitting on the skin just naturally develops,callouses. After so many years they are part of your hand development,you just have to keep them "Down" by using a pummus stone to "shave them to be smaller and softer. If not the callous grows in and it's like having a nail driven thru your hand. Also to keep down of cracking,use hand lotion,and johnson and johnson "Sheer Strip" one inch bandaids,they stay on the finger and heal at the same time while ur playing.....At your service JC JOHNNY CONGA....

no wonder there aren't to many women that play this exotic and wonderful instument!
babyconga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:54 pm

:) Babyconga....There are quite afew women that play, here is a short list....Sheila E, Jody Linscott,Brei Howard, Carole Steel, Myra Casales. These are all working professional percussionists in the business over 20 years..... Jody Linscott and also Susan Hadjapoulous, studied with me in the 70's....At ur service JC JOHNNY CONGA....chek my sit at http://www.ShowGigs.com/JohnnyConga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby martin » Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:46 pm

Hey Jhonny,

S. Hadjapoulous, is that the same woman who plays with Joe Jackson? I like her sound...

about callouses: another facter is your job. I trie to push harder and harder on my controlpanel...but it doesn't help.
When i see my fathers hands...but he worked in the garden....where do you see that nowadays.

by the way....did you or other members of this site ever thought about a worldwidemeeting of all these visitors?
On the other hand....it can be difficult..

???
martin

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:58 pm

by the way....did you or other members of this site ever thought about a worldwidemeeting of all these visitors?
On the other hand....it can be difficult..

Well, that is definitely my dream!! :)

How could we do it , on the other hand? ???
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby timo » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:44 pm

We could all go to Cuba and have a jam session

thats my suggestion... :D
timo

Edited By timo on Jan. 23 2002 at 22:45
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby martin » Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:29 pm

that's a start Timo..

and Mike.....you live in Germany isn't it?

Greetings! :)
martin

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:42 pm

Yep, that´s right, so Cuba is a bit off-the-track,
but defininitely a wonderful place to gather... The Dorado for percussion.. (Haven´t been there yet)

Well, why not grabbin´ the next plane over...?
ooooh, gotta work....

Sorry I don´t want to sound ironic, it´s only that I ain´t got lots of money....
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:03 pm

Yes Susan Played with Joe Jackson. Don't kid yourself I have seen and met women drummers that hit the drum with reckless abandonment. And don't cry about it,Susan was one of them. Hey let's all meet here in Miami it's only 90 miles from the Havana Drummers......then we can hop a chartered flight to Cuba......yea right!......We do have them though 3 times a week going to Cuba from here. I haven' t gone myself yet though I have had opportunity's but after seeing the Squalor that they live in it would be very hard to keep my 60's revolutionary rhetoric from coming out my mouth...like Down with fidel!! I supported him once but that was a long time ago before he changed his Face(dos caras). It hurts to know andsee what has happened there....ooops too much now,let me stop now......befor I lead a raid on his ass!...Drummer for Peace...that's right Peace......JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises