Rock/Funk/Disco/Pop

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Rock/Funk/Disco/Pop

Postby CongaTick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Rory,

Welcome and thank you for that very cool link. Great to have sideline lurkers jump in, contribute, and help to build our brotherhood.
CongaTick

Postby tumbador79 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:52 pm

You're welcome Congatick!
I've got a lot of info from this forum and I reckon it's time to get involved and give something back...

This topics interesting for me cos even though my first love is Afro -Cuban music I quite often find myself playing Soul, Funk R&B, Jazz Fusion, Pop etc, because that's where a lot of the gigs are here in Bristol.

I've got a lot of my stuff for these kinds of music from studying (alongside Eddie Bongo Brown and Henry Gibson who've already been mentioned) guys like Ralph MacDonald, who did tons of Jazz/Fusion sessions in the '70s, and Sola Ackingbola who plays for Jamiroquai. There's also some good info on these styles on Luis Conte's "Studio Percussionist" DVD, partuculary where he talks about thinking inlonger phrases rather than just looping 2 bar patterns..

Just thought I'd share..

Rory
tumbador79

Postby congamyk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:16 am

Check out Tony Mayfield (Son of Superfly) on youtube.
He's got the old skool American "soul" sound down pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jxQKNu43Io

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQYVxPOO_aI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7HP_Eam_0
A unique video that immediately set you off - because he's wearing gloves but he exhibits some nice groove.
Especially check out :56-1:02 - it's a really good rhythm. Can someone break that down in notation?
congamyk

Postby TONE74 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm

There's a pattern by Grupo Los Yoyi that I really like for funk and found a link on a website to it. Its called "el fino" its the 3rd one down on the page if anyone is familiar with this pattern I would appreciate if you can tell me the name of the pattern. It kind of sounds like segundo guaguanco mixed with something or mozambique. I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance

http://fidelseyeglasses.blogspot.com/20 ... 1970s.html
TONE74

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:22 pm

TONE74 wrote:There's a pattern by Grupo Los Yoyi that I really like for funk and found a link on a website to it. Its called "el fino" its the 3rd one down on the page if anyone is familiar with this pattern I would appreciate if you can tell me the name of the pattern. It kind of sounds like segundo guaguanco mixed with something or mozambique. I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance

http://fidelseyeglasses.blogspot.com/20 ... 1970s.html

What the Conguero is playing is a "Bata toque".
A pattern derived from one the numerous Bata drum rhythms.

fidelseyeglasses
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby tumbador79 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for that very interesting track FidelsEyeglasses - never heard anything quite like it!
Sounds to me like its two players, or been overdubbed - what do you think?
Also it sounds like chenche kururu, but turned around so it starts in a different place?
tumbador79

Postby TONE74 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:22 pm

I got that track from "Si Para Usted". Dont know if anyone here is familiar with that cd. Got quite a few interesting patterns on that cd. The first track "son a propulsion" has a really simple one that is really just half of tumbao the one with the two open tones on each drum done over and over with the slap on the snare then the two open on conga on next snare. Really simple but it works.
Anyway the one I really wanna get down is the "El Fino" pattern anyone else?

*Fidelseyeglasses, nice website by the way. I saw a few recording there I am interested in. I will be contributing to your site. Me estoy dando banquete asere! Thanks

JC, this is the pattern I was trying to send you about 4 months ago to see if you could break it down for me. Don't know if you remember. Thanks
Last edited by TONE74 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TONE74

Postby korman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 am

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:What the Conguero is playing is a "Bata toque".
A pattern derived from one the numerous Bata drum rhythms.

Welcome here FidelsEyeglasses! You've got a terrific site, it's a real treasure trove:)

K
korman

Postby JConga » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:58 pm

That conga pattern on the Juan Pablo Torres recording, I have never heard before..and don't know if there is a name for it..it is once again "un invento" of the conga player...in Cuba they will mix "parts" of a Bata toque pattern and incorporate it on the conga drum...also that the Cuban drummers are very creative in their rhythmic approach and are continuously "advancing the drum"...this particular recording is from the early 80's as Juan Pablo was experimenting with different sounds and rhythms....he was an incredible orchestrator and one helluva trombone player (you can hear him on my recording from my first CD-on the tune Siempre me va Bien on my www.myspace.com/jcjohnnyconga )... he did it in "one take" live, no overdub...."JC" Johnny Conga
JConga

Postby TONE74 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:39 pm

JC, you mean the "El fino (Los Yoyi)" or "Son a propulsion (Juan Pablo Torres)" Son a Propulsion to me sounds like the second half of tumbao btsOOtoo done over and over with a fill here and there. I'm gonna get the "El fino" one down. I know I can figure it out once I get the manoteo or baqueteo whatever you call it slaps part down. Thanks
TONE74

Postby Congadelica » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:59 pm

/
Congadelica

Postby No.2-1820 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 pm

I saw this guy playing with another band last night in San Francisco, a very funky young player I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=334EkwZsfkg
No.2-1820

Postby G-Man » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi to All,

Haven't posted in a while...just been lurking and practicing my butt off. Technique, technique, technique!

You MUST check out Steve Winwood's "Nine Lives" CD.

Awesome congas by Karl Van Den Bossche on all but one of the tracks. He gets into some of the coolest and cleanest rock/funk/afro grooves I've heard on any recent CD.

CHECK IT OUT!! There is a youtube video of a live concert cut of "Hungry Man". Video is lower quality than cut on CD, but a teaser.

G
8)
What comes from the heart, goes to the heart
G-Man

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises