speaking of 'effects' - the moosecall

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby burke » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:28 pm

I was looking at another forum about electronic effects and this got me thinking about other effects -specifically what I've heard called a 'Moosecall'. I've also had musical friends hear it and dub it the 'whale fart'.

We all know it of course, a dampened finger rubbed across the skin which produces a 'whoooo' sound.

I forget where I first heard it, but of course I had to learn this almost useless technique.

The only place I've ever heard it used as a regular repeating part of a pattern is on a cut from Paul Simon's "hearts and bones" album (forget the name of the tune).

I've always found it works most consistantly if I hit the drum just before hand.

Anyone out there found more uses for it? or any variations in ways to produce it?
Burke
burke

Postby franc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:24 pm

please, any one out there!!! when playing ''plena rhythms'' how is best to count while playing?? in 4/4 or 2/2 cut time. i use the foot to keep time in all the rhythms i play. i ask because i just starter to learn to play panderetas. i'm not so sure about the pulse?? all thhe help will be appreciated deeply, my fellow rumberos!!!!! áche to all!!!!:cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby smidogg » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:22 am

Hello,
I have actually seen the "moosecall" used many times in several variations and have been taught to use it in several applications.
Most notably I had a teacher in ghana who would use it all the time on a kpanlogo drum in a rhythm known as OGE although alot of times he would only slide to the center of the drum producing a quick "whup" sound. One of my favorites was he would alternate a slap and the 1/2 moosecall so it would sound like "crack whup crack whup....."
One of the coolest recordings I have ever heard where this is used is on the Las Papines album "Oye men listen... Guaguanco!!" I think it is the track "oye que la rumba va a emezar". All of the drummers end up throwing the moosecall in while still playing their respective part for the rhythm, creating a whole seperate moosecall polyrhythm with the origional tones intact. Simply amazing.
If you are interested in this technique I highly recommend listening to it.
Also a cool variation on the technique is what I call the circular moosecall. What you do is you throw the first slide and before you get to the end of it you pick up the vibration with a slide on the other hand and repeat. You basically use the remnants of the vibration of the first moosecall instead of hitting the drum to start the vibration. Once you get good at it you can keep the vibration going indefinately . Its a cool thing to do in ambient sections if you are playing with a band as it produces a prolonged "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and also your hands move in this cool looping pattern across the drum and back.
Peace
Smitty
smidogg

Postby burke » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:46 pm

Hey Smitty

Thanks for the heads up on the recording ...I'll keep my eyes open for it... and also the alternate techniques.

Cheers
Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby Sakuntu » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:05 pm

In Haitian drumming its called "siye" meaning to "saw or wipe." They use it all the time in their rhythms. Check out rhythms like congo or contradanse. You can here it on the song "liberte" from the compas band Magnum Band. also Wyclef jean has a song called "Gunpowder" on his Carnival album with an example of it.
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby deadhead » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:46 pm

My conga teacher uses it in his solos all the time. I have yet to perfect it, it isn't exactly on my list of priorities when practicing. It does sound cool, and is a nice little effect. Using the elbow to change pitch is another effect that I see used alot.
deadhead

Postby pavloconga » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:48 am

burke wrote:We all know it of course, a dampened finger rubbed across the skin which produces a 'whoooo' sound.

I forget where I first heard it, but of course I had to learn this almost useless technique.

Anyone out there found more uses for it? or any variations in ways to produce it?

Hi Burke,
From what Ive seen (in Ghana at least) it's actually an integral part of drums and rhythm in west africa. Far from being 'useless' it's used in some rhythms and a soloist will often use it to great effect during a solo. Or an ensemble may use it in unison to create melodies or a kind of 'call and response' on the drums.

cheers
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby bdrbongo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Don Alias uses that "moosecall" technique in his solo on Joni MItchells "Shadows and Light" live album. I've never had any trouble producing it and the "whale" sound can be achieved like smidogg said, continuing the vibrations with the other hand. You can get a nice long overtone filled "whale" from a large frame drum, also, turning it to keep the tone going. It's a great effect.
bdrbongo

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises