Brazil contacts - teachers, schools, friends...

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Tone » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:31 am

Hello my fellow congueros,

I am going to Rio de Janeiro next week for a few months with the view to move there permanently soon after.
I know a few good percussionnists like Jovi Joviniano, Jakare, and Dom Chacal.
Can you recommend some masters there for the congas and afro-brazilian stuff? I am also very keen to learn some Atabaque.
Who is the master of the congas in Rio?
Also if you have some friends to jam with that would be great as well (percussion or other instrument).
Thanks for the help.
I will tell you how it goes on this thread with maybe pictures and films.

Ate logo

tone
tone
Tone

Postby niallgregory » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:31 pm

check batadrums.com teachers section . there is a guy from rio posted on there who is omo ana .I am sure he could point you in the right direction for some atabaque ,or go to a ceremony and meet some drummers :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Diceman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:37 am

Hey Tone,

I will try to get some contacts for you, stay logged on.

I envy you man, I've got to get there some time myself.

Bon chance et bon voyage

Diceman
Diceman

Postby Tone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks Paul, I knew you would se this post.
You have my personal email if you come to Rio...

Tone
tone
Tone

Postby Berimbau » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:35 pm

Hey Tone,
I'm not sure how long your itinerary will be in Brasil, but if you can go to Bahia where the best atabaqueros are. You can also attend candomble in any number of terreiros and here it first hand. My friend Bira Reis is an excellent teacher there and can be reached at the Officina de Investigation de Instrumentos musicais in the Pekhourinho. Chuck Silvermann now sends his students to him. Here's Chuck's link:
http://www.chucksilverman.com/brasilinfo.html

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Tone » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:43 am

Hi Berimbau,

you should know with such a name...
Thanks for the tips. I have been to Candomble in Bahia some 15 years ago, it was beautiful. I have been to some beautiful terreiros in Rio too, were the drumming and ceremony are fantastic as well.
Unfortunately I will not go to Bahia and as I moving to Rio I am looking for longterm contacts there.
Thanks though.

Tone
tone
Tone

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 am

Hi Tone ...if Dom Chacal is the same one that worked with Sergio Mendes tell him I said "Tudo Bem"?....I replaced him with Sergio Mendes and the New Brasil 77, and we were friends back then in the "business"...if i were you I would find the BEST Samba School in Rio and immerse myself for 3 months in the school.....paz...and suerte....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby Tone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 am

Yes it is him. I will say hello. He aslo makes the most beautiful and great sounding chekeres.

The life of a conguero has many twists...
I was trying out some Bauers in a shop in Centro the other day when this Panamean guy walks up to me and offers me a salsa gig, in Rio!
I was affraid I wasn't going to be able to play latin here but I landed the only gig in town.
But no time for Samba, pagode, pandeiros and tantans, I have 32 songs to learn and a busy giging schedule coming up.
I will catch up eventually.

I did buy the Bauers, the classic model in black. They sound great very open and singing sound with nice skins. A conga and two tumbas with bags for $800 new. Not bad.

Ate logo meu irmaos

tone
tone
Tone

Postby Diceman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:18 pm

Hey Tone,

Good to hear you are getting on over there. A latin gig in Rio---sounds v cool. Bauer Congas are nice, I love the tone, but you will need good mics to be heard.

Drop me a PM when you have time.

Take care brother and enjoy

Diceman
Diceman

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Yo Tone ..Did u run into Chacal?...Did he remember me?.. Glad u gigging, just stay out of the favelas, unless you REALLY know sombody....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga.. :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Tone » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:19 pm

funny you should say that, I am goping to a jam session tonight in a favella in Catete. I come invited...
I will be careful but it is difficult to run very fast with a pair of congas.

I haven't run into Chacal yet. I am to busy and he lives at the other end of town, but I will definitely go see him and do a day clininc with him or something and buy another shekeres.

I will tell him about you JC.

peace

tone
tone
Tone

Postby Berimbau » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Hey Tone!
Now I could never stay out of the favelas either! After all, that's where all the women, music, pinga, and fun are.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Congadelica » Sat May 05, 2007 10:22 am

Tone , are you still in Brazil , you is one lucky dude.

whats the latest with you bro? just read this post im relativly new to this forum but quickly becoming an adict .

suave

CD
Congadelica

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises