annual Afro-Cuban workshop update

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

annual Afro-Cuban workshop update

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:09 am

Howie Kaufman the Director of the annual Afro-Cuban workshop, asked me to post this update.
-David

Hello Afro-Cuban Enthusiasts,

The Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshops, July 19 - 26, 2008 at Humboldt State University in Arcata, California is still accepting registrations. Students from Bolivia, Ireland, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Colorado, Maryland, Illinois, Washington D.C, Hawaii, and California will all be coming together to study with our internationally recognized faculty. Now in our 12th year, we are proud of the reputation we have both in the United States, and in Cuba, as the most comprehensive Afro-Cuban dance and drum program in the U.S. We offer 3 levels of dance and 5 levels of drum classes as well as daily song classes, focusing on the folkloric repertoire of the Yoruba, Bantú, Arara, Carabali, and Haitiano styles of music and dance. Some highlights of our workshop are 1) Evening song classes with legendary singer Lazaro Galarraga; 2) Having master drum and dance teachers from Havana and Matanzas. We have 3 strands of dance classes, one entirely dedicated to the Matanzas repertoire lead by dancer Reynaldo Gonzalez and drummer Toto Berriel, from Grupo Afro-Cuba de Matanzas and Los Muñequitos de Matanzas, and two entirely dedicated to Havana styles lead by dancer Susana Arenas & Freila Merencio (both originally in Raices Profunda, as well as groups Ban Ra Ra, and Yoruba Andabo respectively), and legendary drummer Francisco Aguabella, who started his career in the U.S. accompanying dance, something he only does now at our workshop, and who Susana Arenas says is fantastic at following her on the dance floor; 3) Our U.S. drum teachers offer their unique perspective of learning as a foreigner. They were once like us, trying to unlock the code to the beautiful drum systems of Cuba. They balance the rote approach of our Cuban drum faculty. 4) Our evening rumba/salsa parties, where faculty and students come together and inspire each other. This is just a part of what for most is an unforgettable experience in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet. Please check out our website http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban for more information.

Thank you,
Howie Kaufman
Founder and Coordinator of the
Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Program
Humboldt State University
davidpenalosa

Re: annual Afro-Cuban workshop update

Postby windhorse » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm very psyched!! Anybody else here going?
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:23 am

Well Dave, I'm going. (of course!) :)

It would seem that the economy's downturn may be affecting people's plans. I'm looking forward to seeing Toto of Los Muñequitos again.

Glad you are making it Dave!
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:32 am

David, if you can organize some flights for me, Im there! :mrgreen:
Man, I would love to attend. :cry:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:08 am

If I owned say, Virgin Airlines, I'd charter a plane to circle the globe, pick up congaboard members on the various continents and bring them to the Humboldt County workshop.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby windhorse » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Marcelo, it's the Eureka/Arcata airport in CA.
I'll have a rental car, and will pick you up if you get a flight!

It'll be more fun with more of our board members in attendance! This event is what I look forward to every year!!

James, you're going, right??
Dave
windhorse

Postby jorge » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Marcelo,
I haven't checked airline prices this year, but last year it was way more expensive to fly to Arcata/Eureka than to fly to San Francisco or Oakland, rent a car, and drive. There are no direct flights to Arcata, you need to do a stopover in the Bay area anyway, and it is a little dinky local plane. I rented a Prius and drove with 2 friends from NYC who were going to the workshop. The drive took about 5 hours but it was a really nice drive. I think we spent less than $20 on gas with the Prius. Plus, you might want to hang out for a few days in the Bay area before you head home after the workshop. Check the prices, but if it still costs an arm and a leg to fly from the Bay area to Arcata, definitely consider driving. You might also be able to catch a ride with someone else, there are usually a bunch of people going from the Bay area. Check the bulletin board on the Humboldt website, or post a request for a ride.
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:42 am

Dreams are free, but in reality I cant afford the flights at this stage. A real shame, would love to attend.
The only way it would happen would be for me to sell my race car, and there aint no way in the world that is happening! :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby congaDR » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Any word from those who made it?

Tony
congaDR

Postby windhorse » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 pm

Tony, you haven't been reading the Drummer's Diary thread?
windhorse

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises