Quinto on the side or middle position?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby mc77 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:21 am

I'm right handed & most of the time I have my conga's/tubano's set up from the left to the right ie: quinto,conga & then the tumba. I believe I do this because I come from a drum set background. But I see a lot of players with the quinto in the center & the conga on the left & the tumba on the right.

What are the pro & cons of using these different placements? And what is you favorite set up?
mc77

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:15 am

Depends on what you are playing.

From a traditional afro cuban point of view, if you are right handed, quinto to the centre, and conga or tumba to your right.
Where you choose to place your third drum is up to you, whatever works for you.

Personally, I am right handed, I dont use a quinto in my set up.

I use a conga in the centre as my main drum, a conga to the right tuned as a tumba and my super tumba to the left tuned even lower than the tumba. I like this format and works for me as I play alot of guaguanco, 6/8 and cuban timba. I liek the lowest drum to my left.

if I am playing 4 conga formation, I use conga in the centre infront of me, tumba to the right of my conga, another conga (tuned between the conga and tumba) infront of my main conga and my super tumba to the left as the lowest pitched drum.

This is the formation I follow and the one I teach to my students. I play mainly with cuban salsa bands, descarga bands, and latin jazz groups. I also do freelance reggae, funk and hip hop gigs, but keep to the same formation.

It all comes down to how you play your patterns and what you play.
If playing latin, then as long as you are executing your rhythmes correctly and in clave, then I dont care how you set up.

Example, seeing how Shelia E, Poncho Sanchez or Jerry Gonzalez set up for example, that wouldnt work for me, it would be uncomfortable, but what they play works for them. In the end thats all that matters.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1114593503
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:46 pm

I like quinto in the middle..
And like Abakua, the Super T on the left - that is for Son stuff like Mambo, Songo, Calypso etc.

But, for Guaguanco and Bembe, I like the big drum on the right.

Just how I was taught.

Think about your drumset,, you probably hit the snare more, and that's the one you want between your legs.
The quinto's the snare in conga rhythms.
windhorse

Postby ralph » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:23 pm

Jerry Gonzalez, has a very awkward, way of playing, and very original. He puts like a medium drum in fnt, a lower drum to the right, and an even lower drum to the right of that.
to the left of the middle drum he puts a drum with a tone in between the two far right drums, then in fnt of the medium drum, he has a taller quinto. Jerry is a tall guy with long arms so this works. the usual way is to put the quinto in the middle, and drums to the side, this is beneficial because it not only strengthens your left (weak hand), it also enable you to have the quinto right in fnt where is easier to riff from. Some styles are playable with this set up, others such as bembe, may be more difficult.

Edited By ralph on 1114611915
ralph

Postby zaragemca » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:30 pm

To understand the setting of the quinto,it is necessary for the percussionists to know why the quinto was added to the set in first place.Since the mid 50's the conga and tumba was added in to the Conjuntos,and Orquestras,but the player have to use two hands to articulate the slap,(due to the tuning range of the conga),then the quinto was added to facilitate the slap with one-hand,and would be place in the middle to facilitate the single-slap with any hand ,or double-slap with both hands.Also for the more skills players a multi-percussion pattern could be articulated by keeping the basic Guaguanco with one-hand in the Conga and tumba,and articulating solos-riffs with the other hand in the Quinto.Also for the percussionists which could play two differents Yoruba's patterns,one pattern with one hand over the Quinto,and the other hand keeping the second riff with the Conga and Tumba,(This is what I use when playing Yoruba's patterns or Afro-Jazz. For the articulation of these Multi-Patterns the Quinto could be place to left and the Conga -Tumba to the right. Dr Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1114624412
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Berimbau » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:14 pm

Lots of good advice here. I do play with the quinto in the middle, but if one should find really any other arrangement that feels right and facillitates effortless playing - I say go for it!! Word to Dr. Z - the palabra "Yoruba" goes for singular, plural, and possessive forms, no s is required.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby CongaTick » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:55 am

Though naturally right handed, am left-handed player (go figure). Conga in center, quinto to right, tumba to left.
CongaTick

Postby Firebrand » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:58 pm

You are ALL gonna laugh at this one. I learned my conga technique from two sources. Early on, I learned from Giovanni Hidalgo's "Virtuoso" video. Then, later, I learned certain hand positions from this website (thanks for the CongaBook!) :D

Now...I'm righty. I play drums from left to right, hi hat on left, ride cymbal on right, crossing my arms to play snare and hi hat. I play congas lefty....why? Because I mimicked Giovanni literally to his own playing style! I approached the three congas they way he did..and without knowing it, I developed a better "pegao" with my left hand! Now...it feels uncomfortable playing with the right! Go figure...I've been trying to develop the right as well as the left, though...

Now...what Abakua said is right. I usually use QUinto in center, and Tumba on right (even though I play left) and Conga in Left. I form a triangle...and I've been trying to develop a very ambidextrous style, so I can reach over to the Conga and to the Tumba with ease. Some people like to have in straight line, but I believe the triangle set up is better (you can bring the congas closer, sitting down). I also tune the congas a 3rd or 4th apart, to do melodic variations, ala Giovanni.

With 2 congas, you can put the congas more straight, or you can play them as a triangle that is missing one of the sides (the conga). That's how I do it. I'm used to having the tumba at 45 degrees from my quinto. But...the quinto, for me, fulfills the function of the snare drum in a drumset. It's the "center" drum...the one I'm going to be doing the most playing on.

Hope that helps.
Firebrand

Postby OldGuyAl » Tue May 31, 2005 5:32 pm

I'm not a great player but, I echo what Firebrand said. I'm right-handed but other players see my setup and think I'm a lefty because I learned from having my teachers sitting in front of me.

I also like the "triangle" setup with the quinto in the middle and my tumba on left/center, conga on the right. A few months ago, for no reason at all that I was concious of, I discovered myself playing my tumba with my right hand on some pattern that I just made up and reaching under my right arm to play notes on my conga with my left hand. It was kind of a pattern that had me playing mostly quinto with my left hand and adding in a note or 2 on the conga into that pattern. Well, it surprised me but I discovered that I liked it a lot. Besides, some people have told me that it looks cool. :blush:
so, this is where you guys are?!
OldGuyAl

Postby onile » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:59 pm

Firebrand wrote:You are ALL gonna laugh at this one. I learned my conga technique from two sources. Early on, I learned from Giovanni Hidalgo's "Virtuoso" video. Then, later, I learned certain hand positions from this website (thanks for the CongaBook!) :D

Now...I'm righty. I play drums from left to right, hi hat on left, ride cymbal on right, crossing my arms to play snare and hi hat. I play congas lefty....why? Because I mimicked Giovanni literally to his own playing style! I approached the three congas they way he did..and without knowing it, I developed a better "pegao" with my left hand! Now...it feels uncomfortable playing with the right! Go figure...I've been trying to develop the right as well as the left, though...

Now...what Abakua said is right. I usually use QUinto in center, and Tumba on right (even though I play left) and Conga in Left. I form a triangle...and I've been trying to develop a very ambidextrous style, so I can reach over to the Conga and to the Tumba with ease. Some people like to have in straight line, but I believe the triangle set up is better (you can bring the congas closer, sitting down). I also tune the congas a 3rd or 4th apart, to do melodic variations, ala Giovanni.

With 2 congas, you can put the congas more straight, or you can play them as a triangle that is missing one of the sides (the conga). That's how I do it. I'm used to having the tumba at 45 degrees from my quinto. But...the quinto, for me, fulfills the function of the snare drum in a drumset. It's the "center" drum...the one I'm going to be doing the most playing on.

Hope that helps.

Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all well and in an abudnance of blessings!

I believe also what is at the center of this topic is "ergonomics"
The term “ergonomics” is derived from two Greek words: “ergon”, meaning work and “nomoi”, meaning natural laws. Ergonomists study human capabilities in relationship to work demands.

Conga players have been setting up their riggs either to the left or to the right forever, however if you examine this further you'll find that at times they've used their backs and shoulder muscles to the extreme. Sure the back has muscles and tendons to help with the bending, twisting, and turning that normally goes on in ones day, but at the end of the day, if you're in pain or discomfort, then considering moving your drums around wouldn't be a bad idea.

Setting your drums in a diamond formation with you in the center is an "ergonomic" way of playing. Providing you can set your mind to playing in this fashion. It's not the only way of course to play, like I mentioned before there are drummers who haven't changed and are still great at what they do. Much like brother Firebrand, I too am a right handed player, and as he stated, I also taught myself to play with my supertumba to the left and tumba to the right. It's strange, but it does feel quite ergonomic, very comfortable and I have developed my techniques quite equally (left/right).

As long as you aren't having to over extend to reach a drum you shouldn't injure yourself in the long run.

The part of the ergonomics is intended for that subtle pain or discomfort one might feel at the end of a gig, or rehearsal which would indicate poor posture, or technique!

and now a word from our sponsor......

¿Ay cariño o no-ay cariño?
Onile

Edited By onile on 1130367786

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... en_Gay.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:14 am

Hey Dr. Z very informative post. I wasn't aware of that! Thanks.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:38 pm

I started out on 2 congas to my right, cause I'm right handed. When i put another conga to my left and started to play 3 drums this way I felt more 'balanced', and have been playing that way ever since, though I could play 5 congas, it takes a LOT of work...so 3 or 4 are comfortable for me......"JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... chards.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:42 pm

Hey has anyone gone to Congahead and see Sammy Torres on 6 congas????...unreal how his hands move...and Manu Bizeau with the band Tambo Jazz takes a #### of a conga solo....very different moves and interesting to watch...chek them out!....."JC" Johnny Conga...I got homework to do after watching these 2.....IT NEVER ENDS!!......whew...."JC" Johnny Conga... ???
JohnnyConga

Postby tfunk » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:02 pm

Yes, I have seen his stuff on congahead. I have also been lucky enough to see him live a couple fo times. He is "off the hook" with his technique & speed. I thought his solo's were tastefully excecuted, good build up...just enough flash!! He he inspires me and scares the #### out of me at the same time!

tfunk
twm
tfunk

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Hey JC, that clip of Sammy Torres is pretty remarkable. As you stated his hand motion is effortless and strong at the same time. What you need to see is Giovanni's conga solo. Man, that man is a monster!
RayBoogie

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises