Advice/Help Needed :p - First steps of a 16 year old conguero

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby kimoki_gui » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 am

Hi there,

My name is Justin and I am from the Philippines. I would just like to ask if there are any free online conga tutorials beside the congabook. If there are, please refer me to them. I am 16 years old and WILL have my first conga this month of June. I will HAVE TO buy the cheapest one in the market 'cause I have no job yet and congas here in the Philipines is NOT popular. I have been practicing "playing" for a month now using my SCHOOL DESK as a percussion instrument. Sorry, I know how this sounds but the congabook just made me start tapping my desks. :P I have practiced almost all the exercises and am building DESK SPEED! :p Please help me as I want to know how to learn and to become a professional someday. Someday, as I am a skilled conguero, I will look back and say.... "I started with tapping tables.... and look at me now!" hahaha... Thanks and God Bless.

Justin
kimoki_gui

Postby Thomas » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:51 am

Hi, welcome to this forum!
Go to http://www.petelockett.com, lots of useful things with sound-files!
Tom!
Thomas

Postby verticalgil » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:54 pm

you can also try drumrhythms.com see if you can find something there that can help you...

good luck....
verticalgil

Postby CongaTick » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Justin.

I lived in the PI for 15 years "back in the day"... Many wonderful memories. Still manage to mangle Tagalog. Keep up the desk pounding. We all started on desks, knees, dashboards, tables,etc. once. Gald you're getting one drum. However, the islands are an incredible source of high end wood craftsmanship. Ask around in the provinces about anybody up to crafting a drum from local wood. I remember parts of Pampanga on the way from Manila to San Fernando used to be famous for their guitars, It's possible craftsmen in Midanao may have a better handle on drum- making. Again, welcome. The advice you'll get from the forum pros will be invaluable. When you feel a bit alone, know that you've got kaibigan here that understand and will encourage your spirit.
CongaTick

Postby congamyk » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:39 pm

Hello Justin, there are many, many valuable learning videos on www.youtube.com

Check out the Video Thread in the "Open Discussion Forum. Many of those video links have been posted there.
congamyk

Postby mico » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:45 am

hey whatsup justin im from pi too i lived in manila and conga is actually like an underground culture there right i lived there for 13yrs nd im 17 right nw so keep playing man... and try check this link if u hav time its a live performance of wolfgang "halik ni hudas" theres a conga solo at the middle ayos to chong....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPKNcJe-wM
mico

Postby SAM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:50 pm

hi guys

i'm samira from france (my parents are from morroco).I live in aus.
just want to know if it's better to play with the congas on the floor or on their stand.find it really dofficult to get the bass right (not strong enough to lift them).sorry my english is not perfect
SAM

Postby SAM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:54 pm

sorry just find the answer to my question
merci
SAM

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:05 pm

Hello Justin......I know there is a Conga Maker in Manila.. I have played on Phillaphine Congas and they are GREAT!....very warm sounding and very light wood....I just don't know the name of the maker in Manila....Go to YOUTUBE.COM type into search Beginning Conga....and u can get started there....WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY!....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby SAM » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm

bonjour everyone

i 've started playing on a quinto with my left hand and the conga with my right.
the other day i swaped them and i thought it was easier to get the sound right (i'm right handed).
what is the right way?

merci
SAM

Postby SAM » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:59 pm

salut rumBa808

i've been down under for a year and i felt hehop i doing everything a l'envers(upside down) but u say it's ok so i feel a bit better the only rythm i can't do normaly it's monturno i think idon't practice enought (2 young kids).i had a another question if u don't mind do i have to put some sort of conditionner onto the skin to prevent dryness and how often if so.
sorry i don't a lot about the kind of music u have where u from .
any chance you can give some name of band

merci a bientot
SAM

Postby robert07 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:53 am

Hi Samira,

I have been playing congas for more than ten years and I can tell you that you want to play your drums on the ground. If you get some Cuban made congas the bass tones will be perfect on the ground.

Robert
robert07

Postby SAM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:40 am

sorry guys i didn't have time to respond earlier thanks rhumba and robert and you know what ihave learn a lot watching youtube i mean the kids amazing how they can do it now i can do the tumbao with one finger hihihih just jocking but i can play a lot better and all thank to you.
by the way my favourite latinos tata guines + los munequitos
SAM

Postby pavloconga » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Sam,
I live in Adelaide, south Australia too. We're neighbours - maybe we can hook up for a jam.
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby SAM » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 am

hi pavlo
Thanks for your visit i really appreciate it.
Now i 'm practicing with the right techniques.Hope to see you soon.Did you like the music? bye Sam
SAM

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises