Merengue 2

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby burke » Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to 'congaman' for the Merengue 2 (variation) in the Conga Book.

A while back I pestered the list for the patterns being played for various old Santana tunes and the answer for most I was asking about was - Merengue.

Since then I've been looking for a variation that felt right. None quite fit in my pocket, and I went back to the Congabook and had another look - man that Merengue 2 variation just seemed to feel natural and a whole lot of fun to play - so Thanks.

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby Raymond » Thu May 10, 2007 10:24 am

Is interesting you mentioned merengue. Have to check in the current books what of the "merengues" they have.

Merengue has a faster merengue that is the regular merengue and a second merengue that is slower called "pambiche". (Merengue could be played in a band o be played with the traditional set up which is call "perico ripiao").

To complicate things, in my opinion, regular merengue has two versions. The traditional merengue and the newer version called "a lo maco". Now most merengues, if not all, are done "a lo maco". In the "maco" version the conga is more prominent than in the old or traditional merengue which I personally call "square" merengue. (In the old days, the conga player did not play sometimes until the chorus so the intro of the song had that traditional feel).

Hard for me to give you the notation on this patterns but beware that the books you are looking does not have the regular "tambora" pattern to be played in congas. Another angle about playing congas is that the "tambora", the other drum in merengue playing, and the congas have to complement each other.

In "maco" style, the conga player is actually doing a "faster" version of "a caballo" (riding horse") pattern that is in the Cuban son or salsa. In the old traditional merengue, the conga is doing a "tumbao" that fits the rhythm.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Derbeno » Thu May 10, 2007 1:15 pm

Also check Tomasito Cruz Volume II Marcha 27 and 28 wich are Merengue and Merengue Apambichao respectively.

I also posted something on youtube showing a version based on "a caballo" as Raymond indicated that will fit most of the latest stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krY4peyuMgs
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises