Orisa from Puerto-Rico

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Orisa from Puerto-Rico

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi everybody. I woul'd like to discuss about Orisa rhythm from Puerto-Rico. I know traditional version and the application to the orchestra but there is some confusion whith the cuban Yesa.
Here's my version of the traditional version :

Hi bell : XX..XX..XX..XX..
Low bell: ..XX..XX..XX..XX
Hi drum : OO..OO..OO..OO..
r l r l r l r l
Middle drum : S..TO.OHS..TO.OH
r l r r l r l r r l
Low drum : B.TO.TB.TOOO.TB.
r l r l r l r l r l r

Do you have the same version or if it's not can you share your version ? One person tell me there's no solo whith the low drum. Do you have the same information. Do you know the name of the drums ? ETC...
Laurent Lamy

Re: Orisa from Puerto-Rico

Postby ozrivera » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Laurent
the Jerry Gonzales video has a version of orisa. the music and the parts are not noted. and yes in the Video there is no solo but there are three players. ill have to check out the video again for more details

ozzie
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote: Orisa rhythm from Puerto-Rico. ... there is some confusion whith the cuban Yesa.

Hi Laurent,
I believe that the "Orisa rhythm" is a Puerto Rican adaptation of the Cuban rhythm iyesa. As far as I know, Orisha worship in PR and NYC was imported from Cuba. The only place I've seen the rhythm called by this name is the Jerry Gonzalez video. I have a cassette recording from late 1970's Cuba where the rhythm is used as a conga drum adaptation of iyesa for a guiro ensemble (three chekeres, bell and two congas). During the 70's and early 80's this same rhythm was called "4/4 bembe" or "2/4 bembe" in New York City, where it served the same function as it did in Cuba—accompanying iyesa songs with conga drums. I haven't encountered the rhythm since the mid-80s, when knowledge of the actual iyesa rhythm became widely known and use of bata had spread as well.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Laurent,
I was listening to Alberto Zayas' mid-50s record "Afro-Frenetic", which consists of experimental arrangements of folkloric rhythms. One of the tracks based on iyesa is called "Oriza". It features the same mid drum part as "Orisa". This gives further credence I believe to my guess that "Orisa" is a PR adaptation of the Cuban iyesa.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby onile » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Alafia Abures!

Here is a version that I modified from David "La Mole" using my PTCs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHKLdSgfePk
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:25 am

Very nice ! It's like a George Delgado version on 3 congas.
Laurent Lamy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises