new new n00b

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

new new n00b

Postby yogert909 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:57 pm

hey hi, I just got a conga set for my birthday and I'm just getting started learning the fundamentals.

I have a 2 drum set, I believe it's a conga and a quinto.. A lot of rhythms I see played on the conga seem to use either 3 drums or a conga and a tumbadora. So I'm wondering what are some rhythms that would be useful to learn that I can play on a conga + quinto?

I've learned the basic tumbao and guaguanco using the conga for the low drum part, is that stupid? should I trade my set and get a tumbao? I don't really want to spend a lot of time or money doing things that don't involve playing since I'm a hobbiest and just want to play a few hours a day.

Also, how should I tune this set? I've read that usually a conga is tuned to C and quinto to E, but if I'm playing rhythms normally played on conga and tumba, should I maybe tune them to G + C which I understand as the tuning for tumba + conga? ...or do my questions reveal that I am hopelessly misguided and should leave the playing to the pros...?

again, my main interesting at this point is learning, so I just want to develop some good playing habits and not have to unlearn something later.

any pointers on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
yogert909

Re: new new n00b

Postby Light Seeker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I'll leave most of the answers to your questions to the other members, but here is a good start for you: http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2E3F2B70379C5868
This is a series of beginner instructional videos made by Johnny Conga, a very talented professional conguero who frequents this forum. This will help you immensely.
Light Seeker

Postby yogert909 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:59 pm

brilliant for sure. I've already watched a bunch of his videos but didn't make the connection that it was johnny conga in those videos. thanks, cheers.
yogert909

Postby vinnieL » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:14 am

You have been taken in the right direction with the videos from Johnny Conga.
vinnieL

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises