Warming up for a gig - routines for pre performance

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:42 am

Hello everyone,

Been getting a lot of gigs of late i wanted to know what you all are doing to warm up for your gigs?

Thank you for your help

Toby
Toby

Postby Sakuntu » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Hey Toby,

What I do first is shake my hands to get'em loosened up, then I stretch out my fingers by pushing my hands against one another. After this its nice and quiet heel tip techniques on the conga. Being that there is always more tension before a gig it's important to get relaxed -your best sounds come when you'r relaxed... i also take the time to just chill-drink some water etc...
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby Charangaman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:54 pm

I have a pint of beer.. :;):

Seriously though, I do try and do some stretching and just getting warm , unfortunatley there's not always time..
Charangaman

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:13 pm

:D

I always warm up, first my wrist thoroughly (up and down in a loose way), then with a timbale sticks (from Doug Sole's Hand Drumming), shoulder and neck relaxation and if I'm lucky one of the waitresses is taking care of my back, legs... :D

Seriously, I DO IT EVERYTIME before gig (15 minutes at least) also do some series of high jumps to get the air and blood pumping, adrenaline is one hell of a uplifter :D

my 234 push ups to end with,

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby caballoballo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Vaya,me as a Bongo player. I drink 2 glasses of Red wine or may be various shots of moonshine which I alway have a pint inside the Bongo bag. I use the bell beaters to drum on a pad or on the air.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Mongosoultrain » Mon May 14, 2007 5:16 pm

i find 250 push ups are best..lol..i stretch fingers then do a dancers warm up with full arm stretches n windmill exercise..make sure u ave room... :D
Mongosoultrain

Postby ABAKUA » Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Greetings Toby!

Check out this thread here: CLICK HERE!

I found it using the search function. Good discussion into warm up techniques etc Happy reading!
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises