Learning Congas? - How long does it to learn congas?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Drummer1 » Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:35 am

I am already a drummer i play the drum set. but i would like to know is easy to play the congas or how long does it take?

(Edited by Drummer1 at 4:37 am on Aug. 13, 2001)
Drummer1

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:47 pm

It depends - on several things.
First, the basic technique is simply different, I mean striking a drumhead with either stick or hand.
Furthermore (and that is also my problem), if you have already played another instrument before, the practicing time shrinks if you want to keep up with both (or more) instruments.
Great advantage for drumset players is of course the knowledge about rhythm essentials, no doubt!
FUN and AMBITION is important, too!
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Aug 13, 2001 4:33 pm

more you work and the less it is long
Laurent Lamy

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:02 pm

Hello Drummer1 I have been teaching for a long time. There is a lot to go into it. Just like the dedication you took to learn to play set you would need for congas,and it's a whole lot different when using hands versus sticks. First I would recommend a latin percussionist or someone familiar with the roots,to get you sarted on the right road then you can put as much time into it that you can muster.Some learn quicker than others,how bad do you want it? try to find an established latin or afro-cuban style teacher. Bobby Sanabria has a good beginners video out. Try that. with Peace and Congas...J.C. JOHNNY CONGA chek http://www.ShowGigs.com/JohnnyConga
Johnny Conga

Postby limberic » Wed Aug 29, 2001 1:24 am

Drummer 1:

I assume you can do bell & clave, etc. You all ready have developed independence on the drum kit. Find and learn Tumbao on conga - Tumbao has touches, slap, muff, and tones. It's a classic-piece & a good, versatile 4/4 rhythm. You'll learn alot about conga as you learn how to beat out the ritmo.

Best Wishes, Eric
limberic

Postby limberic » Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:33 am

One other thing I should have mentioned before re:Tumbao - I didn't want to leave you with the impression that tumbao is some complicated, complex pattern that you need two drums for - Man, it is so basic but fundamental like a deep sunken foundation is to a house.

Tumbao is only 4 beats long!

- once you get the handing, it's a pattern that you play over & over, on & on ... and learn how to do different ways, make it weave in and out.

Hopefully, you have found it on the web (many urls, including CongaPlace) and are exploring at this very minute.
limberic

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:24 am

Can you explain a little about what you mean when you say "I assume you can DO bell and clave"? I have no percussion background--I know what 2/3 and 3/2 clave BEATS look and sound like, but I'm sure you mean something a little bit beyond that. I don't fully understand the implications of playing TO those rhythms, as opposed to say playing a 4/4 tumbao. Can you believe anyone is this simple?
Bongo Boy

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:15 am

:D Hi I think what is meant by bell and clave is one Foot Bell and the other a foot clave. As Anga does on his video. It is not something ALL conga players do or can even do. Most guys can't even talk and play at the same time let alone play clave in one foot and bell in the other. It takes total seperation. And unless u started on Set, it is something very difficult for conga drummers. It is not part of the set up for playing. Playing congas is enough without adding a foot bell and a foot clave. But if u can incorporate it hey, why not! there is enough to learn without adding unless u r one of those "multi-task" dudes. Like Ritchie Gajate Garcia "EL PULPO"(octopus)....take ur time and experiment see what u can come up with...At your service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:40 am

Man, I'm glad you said that--I have one of Richie Garcia's videos and was in disbelief that anyone could actually do that. I was practicing a one-handed tumbao, and doing 'okay', then picked up a little shaker with the other hand. How funny--could barely keep time with the shaker for more than 8 beats.
Bongo Boy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises