the new pecussion scene - Am I alone hating it?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Mike why do you forget the fact that he has a RECORD COMPANY behind him that MAKE the decisions FOR HIM!....you make it sound like he just appeared one day and all of a sudden he was Poncho Sanchez...Conga player/singer etcetera, etcetera....Recording artist xtradinaire, Obviously you are not IN the business cause if you were you would know of what I speak...but YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion as well as I...Nuff said this is boring me to death...."JC" Johnny Conga...still smiling!... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:48 pm

But I love anyone who get lay down a soulful groove.

Thank God someone has spoken the real truth at last :;):
Everything else, especially the Poncho Sanchez discussion, tends to become ridiculous to me.

Above all, there isn´t THE new percussion scene, but a couple of well-marketed fellows and still a vast majority of never-heard of, but still brilliant percussionists all over the world.
BTW A friend of mine, also a music teacher, has just come back from a year´s motorbike travel which led her Germany to India and back via Africa and she says she met so many incredibly musicians, e.g. percussionists in Pakistan, but it´s only that noone will ever hear of them on a world on a global market. .. Well then, so how can you judge a handful when there is million of percussionists? ???

Just a few thoughts on the weirdness of seeming globalization. It´s a one-way road at times...

Edited By Mike on 1181159370
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:38 pm

I am a perfect example of being "IN" the "Business for 41 years..up until I joined this forum...had ANY OF YOU ever heard of me?....(and I have worked with over 100 Major artists over 20 Grammy winners, Endorsed by Pearl DrumCo.) Most likely Not....and YES there are thousands upon thousands of incredbile drummers all over the globe doing what they also have been doing a long time and you'll never hear about them....I rest my case ...ojala..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 pm

You know what Im gonna open myself up to criticism..... how many of you guys have heard my music?.....I want
anyone here that has not heard me play, I INVITE you to http://www.myspace.com/jcjohnnyconga......there u can hear 5 tunes that I recorded xcept for the Titanic tune ..that is actually a Live rehearsal with my Miami band.....I would like you to tell me what you think about my music, my playing, and my arranging....inquiring mind wants to know....I will accept any "constructive" criticism....enjoy the music!..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:49 pm

I guess I'm not worthy of the attention...oh well...it bees that way sometimes...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby pcastag » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Sounds cool to me! Love to hear Skip singing!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:57 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:You know what Im gonna open myself up to criticism..... how many of you guys have heard my music?.....I want
anyone here that has not heard me play, I INVITE you to http://www.myspace.com/jcjohnnyconga......there u can hear 5 tunes that I recorded xcept for the Titanic tune ..that is actually a Live rehearsal with my Miami band.....I would like you to tell me what you think about my music, my playing, and my arranging....inquiring mind wants to know....I will accept any "constructive" criticism....enjoy the music!..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

The first link was'nt working, but the other one did, I am listening to it now,
soon I will disect your tunes man! :)
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:20 am

JohnnyConga wrote:I guess I'm not worthy of the attention...oh well...it bees that way sometimes...."JC" Johnny Conga...

Allright Johnny!

I don't know enough about the rumba track to really say much, is it just you on that track? or are there other rumberos? it is a really beautiful and authentic sounding track though...

I really like the Conga Nation track, as I am into moderns sounding music. This is also your most original sounding track. I think a more melodic element is missing, the loop you have going is very rhythmic, I think if you played a bit more melodically on that one it would really come together, maybe more open tones and less slaps?

JC's revenge is my favorite track on your page, I really enjoy the way you are playing during the trumpet solo, where the guy is using a bit of reverb, that is a perfect fit of sounds for me right there.

Caribe Madness, I am not really of fan of that style.

But I would probably buy an album of JC's revenge stuff ,probably. If the Conga Nation stuff was a bit more developed as a sound, maybe with another live musician (bass, organ?), I would buy that album, but I would be waiting for the second one to see how the sound really started developing.

If you came to San Francisco playing live, I would come and see you no matter which group you were in, just to hear the energy you give each song...
bongosnotbombs

Postby Chapo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Sounds nice JC! Good luck with it. I'm going to fan the flames a bit by saying that Poncho is not my kind of conguero & his music doesn't move me at all. Is he talented? Yes. Has he earned the accolades he's recieved? Sure. BUT, nothing is special about him in my opinion. Take a guy like David "La Mole" Ortiz. For many reasons will most likely never be as recognized as Poncho but, has more conga skills in one finger than Poncho ever will. That being said, the old saying goes "para el gusto se isieron los colores".

Luis
Chapo

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:27 am

Do you old school guys remember that old McDonalds commercial where you had to say the ingredients of the cheeseburger as fas as possible?
Now try to eat it that fast and see if you enjoy it.
Same goes for music,
Fast chops just sounds like a lot of mumble jumble, ask people what they would be more likely to remember in a song, the melody line or the solo?
Remember we live in a society that glorifies everything fast and in competition, fast electric guitar licks, even on air guitar, fast cars (NASCAR) , fast weddings in Vegas, fast Iron chef competitions and fast food restaurants.
And Poncho is just one of many... like there is McDonalds, Wendy's , Burger king, etc. etc. you choose
OLSONGO

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:19 am

Heys guys here's a look at the "ol skool" days 1975 on tour with Gloria Gaynor with my "woodlook" fiberglass Lp's...they sounded great....ok how many of u guys have had to wear PINK on a gig?....and u think it's bad today?......HA!.....u have no idea...hahahahahahaaha..... :D "JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... s_1976.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Chapo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:55 am

Hey! I wore clothes like that too! I love it JC!

Luis
Chapo

Postby congamyk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:45 pm

what a great photo.

what happened to those drums?
I never see any like that left on the scene?
I guess congas don't last as well as other instruments?

Oh yeah and do you still have those threads? :D

Edited By congamyk on 1181915186
congamyk

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:39 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:ok how many of u guys have had to wear PINK on a gig?....and u think it's bad today?......HA!.....u have no idea...hahahahahahaaha..... :D "JC" Johnny Conga....

Oh man! Too funny for words! Ha ha! This one's a keeper!
At least you get to hide behind your conga...those pants are a little too tight!
Hey that would be perfect to wear if you have have a gig here in San Francisco! :;):
bongosnotbombs

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Hey CongaMyk...I bought those drums at a record store on 42nd st in NYC for 268 bucks for the pair...there weren't that many made, and that's why i picked them ..they looked like wood but weren't...why LP discontinued the model is unknown.....when i moved to L.A...I left them with a friend of mine to have them shipped at a later date ..2 days after I moved to the west coast ... his apartment was robbed and they took those congas, never to be seen again..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises