Getting slap tone

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby TONE74 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:00 am

I agree, at first I was obsessed with getting a good slap tone and realized that it was not going to happen right away. There is so much to learn that getting stuck on one thing will only slow you down and frustrate you. Don't make it your priority, let it happen over time. I have gotten better at it but not a whole lot but its ok with me because I have learned a lot of different rhythms, and Im getting better at everything. Patience is very important from my experience. A long time ago I wanted to learn to play but had no resources to learn from so I never tried but now its a different story everything is available online, books, videos etc. We beginners are lucky compared to the guys from a while back imo. Not trying to sound all deep but thats my dos centavos. Peace
TONE74

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Boom,

Just found this, and it may be helpful. His slap demo is toward the end of this lesson. Don't know who he is but his instruction I think is pretty basic and clear, as is his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H32reexEI2U
CongaTick

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Guys, thanks for the two video links. I will see if I can pick something up from them.
Whopbamboom

Postby rebongo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Ciao from Italy1
Sorry for my bad english, but i want to say a little thing: i have seen the video on You Tube, and i can't advise it to the beginners; the hand's movement for the tapao (slap)is not correct!
It's wrong to teach to beginners to play tumbadora without a solid experience and technique.
That's what i think!
Peace and a lot of music to all the guys in the Conga place.
rebongo

Postby TONE74 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:35 pm

The basic bota rhythm is good for slaps too. Do that for 20 minutes and your slap count will be way up there.
TONE74

Postby pavloconga » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:26 am

Hi guys,
I had a look at the video and while parts of it are ok, some of it clearly shows his inexperience. For example the way he lifts his entire hand for the tones in the tumbao which (imo) is inefficient and unneccessary. (Try playing that way at very fast tempos). For his slaps he cups his hands in a very exaggerated way.

When you have only played for 1 - 2 years (which is what he says), the following saying applies - "you don't even know what you don't know".

Anyway, to see a true master demonstrate great technique for congas, check out Changuito's 'Evolution of the Tumbadoras'. It may even be on YouTube.
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby rebongo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:42 am

Tone 74, I agree with you: el bota del songo is a good exercise for slap, but too for the manoteo!
The guy in the video use a kind of "side" movement that make impossible play fast slap rolls.
rebongo

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Second thought, I guess I agree with you guys. However, I thought this vid would be a help in at least getting him into his slaps. Oh well, I guess the road to hell is paved with good intentions...
CongaTick

Postby rebongo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:54 am

Yes, Conga Tick, I think that the video-maker have good intentions, but poor technique.... :;):
rebongo

Postby Raymond » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:24 pm

My experience with the "slap" is an interesting one. Personally, I do not consider myself a "conguero". (Hate carrying congas to gigs but I play them). However, wanted to get the "Jimmy Morales" slap and tried to practice until I achieved it.

Like the "abanico" in timbales, is like your signature while playing. I listened to a lot of people.

What worked for me was was constantly practice the palm, finger, slap movement constanly and even tried to find the "spot" in the drum that gave the sound....I took me awhile. I looke at a lot of congueros to see what they did to get their slap. One thing to look at and be aware is the size of your hand. There is sayng that people with small hands have a better chance of being better congueros. (For example, I've seen Giovanni's hand and they are small with fingernals, although not long, but long enough for some of the effects he does that are actually done with fingernails. Giovanni, practically has his hands in top of the conga all the time and his slap is not a thick one is sort of like you are slapping a "face". Another example, Jimmy Morales has a veryt thick slap and sort of plays the slap going towards the edge of the drum, without getting his hand outside the edge, and he achieves the "thick" slap that sounds like you are hitting the edge of the drum with a stick.

Personally, I have big hands and try to accomodate my hands in the drum so I could get the sound I wanted in my slap without sacrifying techique and that the "tumbao" could be heard clearly....Is trying and trying and trying...(Even got hurt a couple of times by following the wrong things and being unsure about what I wanted to do...)

What is my point? Without sacrificing technique, you need to try to get the way of playing that will achieve the slap you want and also realize if you will be able to achieve the tumbao in a way that it could be heard correctly. Example, last NAMM in California various people from Pearl we were watching this band playing and this conguero you could hear his slap clearly but no "machaca" his heel, palm, finger sound could not be heard....That is not correct).

Trial and error regarding sounds or ways you want to achieve. Remember, if you want to do something most likely you will achieve it if you go at it for as long as you want to and you will achieve it....Is all it takes....

I got complicated but just an example and how could you work on achieving what you want...

My whole dollar!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1181485633
Raymond

Postby pavloconga » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:38 pm

TONE74 wrote:My question is how long does it usually take to get the sound is it a matter of practice or what? I thought it was the tunning on the drum but I went to a friends house on the weekend and he gets it on a drum thats completely out of tune ( in my opinion ) I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Tone74,
After I had been studying and playing around 9 years I went and studied in Cuba, under an old school conguero. He taught in his own traditional way and he was also a very hard task master. I'd seen and heard a lot of players but his slaps were jaw droppingly perfect - crisp, loud and clear - and he was getting those sounds on out of tune, beat up congas that looked like they were from the 1950s.

Before that time I thought I knew, but really did not know the proper technique. Part of his regimen in the first month of my study with him, he would be relentless in having me practise with him for long periods of time the conga slap. After much practise and really studying and observing what he was doing with his hands I started to make crisper, louder sounds and he was very happy with me. Having said all that, I'm still wise enough to know there is always room for improvement.

So, my advice is not only 'practise, practise, practise', but try and study under someone from the tradition who really knows their stuff.

Pavlo

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -macho.jpg
pavloconga

Postby burke » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:35 pm

So part of this discussion begs the question - who does demo a good/great slap in an online vid?

I mean in the sense of showing the tech and not so much as part of preformance piece

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby jmdriscoll » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:59 pm

practicing/playing congas has solidified what I already knew, and that is: "nothing comes easy... practice, practice, practice" keep your head up, don't get discouraged and practice some more!! :)

Mike
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Burke's question persists, gents. Who (where) teaches a proper slap-on line??? I guess the pros would rather charge you money for the privilege of seeing that rather than giving it away for free. Seems that a basic vidclip intruction in proper rudimentary strokes would be a good thing available in CongaPlace--- a big aid to those seeking to learn or improve. Anybody have a clue why this ain't so?
CongaTick

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:55 pm

$?
Whopbamboom

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises