beginners nerves

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Raymond » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Debbie,

Is not easy to play when you are not confident about yourself and when you are intimidated. Is hard. If you are aware of this, is that you are serious. (Only people who are not serious or have a "dont care" attitude step into situation that might cause them to be critized or ridicioulous).

Again, make sure "backstage" you keep on building on yourself, i.e., rudiments, building stamina, building technique, etc. . Learn from your mistakes and don't give up. With time the confidence will be there if you work.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby neftali.rosado » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Raymond,

I have to agree with you a while ago I posted that I was nervous @ gigs it was my firt time out playing live in clubs. We just giged yesterday and I felt real comfortable changing from Bongo to bell (not rushing). I also love when the Mona takes over the horn section brought there A game the band was realy swinging.

Talo :D
neftali.rosado

Postby spiritdrum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:58 pm

hello,

I don't think that being nervous only happens to beginners, but to everyone.

Try not to focus on anything but your BREATH!!! This will help you calm down and get out of fight or flight mode. you may want to close your eyes so as not to get distracted or nervous from seeing other people around.

Good luck and keep playing.

Lisa
spiritdrum

Postby 109-1176549166 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 am

spiritdrum wrote:hello,

I don't think that being nervous only happens to beginners, but to everyone.

Try not to focus on anything but your BREATH!!! This will help you calm down and get out of fight or flight mode. you may want to close your eyes so as not to get distracted or nervous from seeing other people around.

Good luck and keep playing.

Lisa

Believe it or not, Barbra Streisand, one of the most acclaimed singers in the world (male or female), admitted that she still has to battle a tremendous amount of stage fright prior to her concert.

I strongly believe that stage fright is, among other factors, caused mainly by: (1) lack of self-confidence and (2) fear of failure (making mistakes).

Self-confidence is enhanced by competence in one's art which is achieved both by the level of one's natural talent and experience (education, practice and performace). I've heard it said that "If you really know what you're doing and that you know that you really know what you're doing", then you'll feel quite comfortable doing what you know in front of people.

Re: fear of failure, perhaps if we focus more on the "giving" aspect (sharing our talent to others to them joy) in the performance or expression of our art than the "self-seeking" aspect (ego, need for applause and recognition) of it, then our fear of failure will significantly decrease, if not outrightly go away.

Fear of failure may also be due to having an unreasonably high expectation from ourselves. Perhaps, we expect, even demand, perfection from ourselves. A much more realistic goal that I've heard thrown around is: "Strive for excellence rather than perfection."

Mi dos sentimos, :D

Edited By mjtuazon on 1184269681
109-1176549166

Postby caballoballo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:06 am

Neftali, glad that you got over the hill. Usually I don,t wait until the last second to grab the Campana for the montuno,it is better to let go of the Bongó a few seconds before. I do it this way because sometimes you drop the bell beater at the last moment (another reason to carry 2 bell beaters) and can't find the mother fucker thing on the stage. Has this happen to anybody else ? For the nerves, a shot of Tequila,Moonshine,Red Wine,is my recipe.

Edited By caballoballo on 1184605000
Josean
caballoballo

Postby caballoballo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

Neftali, glad that you got over the hill. Usually I don,t wait until the last second to grab the Campana for the montuno,it is better to let go of the Bongó a few seconds before. I do it this way because sometimes you drop the bell beater at the last moment (another reason to carry 2 bell beaters) and can't find the mother fucker thing on the stage. Has this happen to anybody else ? For the nerves, a shot of Tequila,Moonshine,Red Wine,is my recipe. Giging tonight at The Jacklope Café at 2300hr.

Edited By caballoballo on 1184605038
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Smejmoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:11 am

Nice topic everyone. I have feeling here are at least 3 things that matter here.

1) Your technical ability is important here. Practice what you want to play, practice your weak spots, practice faster than you're gonna play, practice hardest things that you're gonna play. But when it comes to execution, I suggest to start with basic things, that is below your abilities. Less notes, more subtle. As you know ones abilities can decrease if stress is too big. (B.t.w. little stress usually raises awareness and you play better.)

Then there is method I learned from Jussi Makela: when it's hard, play only main notes, main accents, fill in if you can, but sometimes groove sounds better even if you don't. It's nice when guys with guitars ask - "Can you play more busy?" :)

2) Admit to yourself that you are not perfect and play your best. Last years I play in bands with guys who each have 15+ years more experience in music than me, and often they are better percussionists and drummers, so I have no other way as play my best and then get back home to practice.

Last challenge was when I had to learn to play drum kit in one week. Well I did. I did not play good. I played only basic rock beats, but that was good for band, we rocked and everyone enjoyed. I've also been kicked out of bands for not playing well :) Guess what, I went home and practiced more. It works. Playing with good players helps, because they can give you support, when needed as well they appreciate the support you give them.

3) When on stage, forget about above and enjoy. Play music that you like and it will flow around you and through you. Play with people that you like and for people that you like. Smile or be sad. Weeping is ok; much better than drum fill most of the time.

I prefer happy dancing music, so I dance a little while playing. When I feel the tune, my hands can go wrong, but so what? I move forwards.

Confidence also is acquired habit. You can play to yourself; then play to yourself in the mirror (also helps with your technique, posture and stuff). Play to your cat or dog. I know good players that really care if their pets like their music. Play with friends and so on.. there will always be bigger stages and fiercer audience, but in many many situations you can enjoy music you play. In last years I've had fun playing with random guys on the street and playing with recognized percussionists like Airto Moreira in the same day; playing instruments I've never seen before with men whose language I do not understand; with crazy punks and free jazz masters. It's often worth just to take a leap...

Thanks,

G'irts

P.S. I wanted to tell how Jussi once made me to play musical style I've never heard before (samba) on instrument I've never played before (tamborim), in speed I've never played before, while walking in front of band in carnaval, but story already got too long. In short I messed up a lot, but everyone was happy, smiling and dancing.
Smejmoon

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises