beginners nerves

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby debbie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:38 pm

hi all

i started to learn the congas about 5 years ago (i wanted to start when i was in my teens but didn't pluck up courage until i was 40!!!) and found a good teacher who has been very patient. the lessons have petered out and i kind of practice a bit at home but my problem is confidence. i have basic technique (slap etc) know some basic ryhthms (tumbao etc etc) but when it comes to improvising or even playing in front of anyone i just completely freeze. i know this is a massive hurdle but my aim has never been to become a professional musician (luckily!) but rather to learn and enjoy playing these beautiful drums. however it would be nice to be able to jam along with friends! but i just bcome completely self conscious and unable to relax and play naturally

anyone got any advice onthis subject (apart from drinking lots of vodka!!)?

thanks for your time
debbie

Postby Charangaman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Personally I always get a bit nervous before a gig (squeaky bum time) but as soon as I hit that first note - any nerves evaporate... And the drum totally consumes me, I focus completley on the groove until I'm not thinking anymore, just doing ... Then you can look around, taste the atmosphere, check out your bandmates etc...

If your jamming with friends, they are not going to judge you.. More likley they're focused on their instrument.. I don't think there's any secret, just dive in and in no time you will be relaxed and enjoying it...

I hope it helps :)
Charangaman

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:40 pm

Hang in there man. Start off small then build up. No need
to improvise, just play the rhythms you know, and don't ever quit or give up, before you know it you'll be a lot better.
bongosnotbombs

Postby caballoballo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:09 pm

A glass of your favorite ancoholic drink will remove the nerve feeling. Relax and keep the flow of the rhytm. Before gigs a glass of red wine for me is the cure for any anxious behavior. Next time you jamn with your friends,try to find yourself into the rhytm then try to hear what others are playing so you don't loose your tempo.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Been there, debbie--- I think most of us have, but charanga is right. forget about the crowd. whenever I've played in public, my mindset has always been I'M NOT THERE TO PLAY FOR THE CROWD/AUDIENCE. I'M THERE TO HAVE A SLAMMIN JAM WITH MY MATES. If the audience loves our groove an electric connection is made that is the juice that drives us to perform. Think about the music, the groove and the great time you will have with it, and the butterflies WILL settle down after the first few notes.
CongaTick

Postby debbie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:22 pm

hey thanks a lot guys! that's great, i'm gonna try and make a real effort to overcome this selfconsciousness!
cheers to you all
debbie

Postby TONE74 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Hi Debbie, if you are not loose it will be very difficult for you to play with any flavor. I dont even know how to play yet ( few months ) and go through the same thing but I go out to the park and play anyway after the first 10 minutes I get over it and then they have to beat me to get off the drums :D Chances are most people dont even know if you are playing correctly because they themselves dont play. I also practice a little bit before going out just to be on point when I get there . Well good luck and have fun which is the main thing. Peace.
TONE74

Postby debbie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:48 pm

good for you tone74! very brave! so what do you play in the park? stuff on your own? rhythms that you know or make up on the spot?
fair play to you!
debbie

Postby trickyricky » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Hey Debbie!
I always get the butterflies before playing too. I have even gotten panic attacks but seem to be over that now. I have been playing about 4 years and play regularly with a couple of bands. I too can play most of the marchas, but am not comfortable playing solos yet. I just play the grooves. The bands are always wanting me to solo but I just ain't there yet. I have never had a formal lesson, just dvd's etc.

Back to the butterflies: My girlfriend is an actress and says that if you don't get something like the butterflies before performing, you will be "flat", not on your sharpest edge. I think she is right. Also, one glass of wine does help, I prefer a Myer's Rum and coke personally :p . Then I concentrate on what we are doing as a band. Soon I am able to enjoy the dancers and the "party", IF the band doesn't drop their playing and walk off stage expecting a conga solo :D . I don't drink the rest of the night until the very end of the performance. I feel the paying public deserves me at my best.

If you are locking up or freezing, first make sure you are breathing enough. You MUST breathe. Second, try just getting off by yourself and meditating/praying that you will be your best. If you know the patterns/marchas you are expected to play, then you can do it. Tell yourself you can, it does help....then BREATHE!

Peace, Love, and Grace,
rick
Lose the ego...Play the music- Luther Allison
trickyricky

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:06 pm

I find it a big help to play along to recordings of various types of music, in private practice. This really challenges one's ability to improvise on the spot and keep it sounding good! Once you get confident with your playing, you will no longer freeze.
Whopbamboom

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Congatick and Charangaman ..u both surprise.me..sounds 'selfish" to me....THE PEOPLE AND THE MUSIC COME FIRST!....you play for them first, then for you..If that is NOT your desire in playing then, I feel for ya , cause your missing out on the 'connection" between the "dancers and listeners"....and that is where the "JOY" of playing truly is....IMO of course.... :D It's where I have always gotten my "joy" from ...the postitive response of the people, from my playing....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Charangaman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am

Err, I don't know where in my post I said ANYTHING like that JC. So please, read it again ...
Charangaman

Postby Congadelica » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:30 am

Hi Debbie, . I played for the first time in public a few weeks ago not a huge gathering around 50 people at a local summer fair . I took my three tubs along set up and started to roll . I was a little nervous at first mainly Iimprovisation , Soon enough there were people on the dance floor this was a massive boost to my confidence .
I got some very posotive reaction from friends . I was very relaxed after a few rolls . One person who claimed to have playing percussion for a good few years was surprised when i told them Id only been playing for 6 months , I must admit i have been putting in the hours though.
This weekend will be a treu test of me nervs , Im playing in a Brazilian Maracatu street band in front of around 1k people , Ive got huge nervs building up right now . I will be having 2 pratice sessions tonight and Friday befoe Saturday event .
I feel the spirit of the drum when i play i am moved into all kind of directions when improvisations ocur .

Relax enjoy i tell myself . it seems to be working so far . Acid test will be this saturday I cant wiat to be honest :D

marco
Congadelica

Postby CongaTick » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:23 am

JC,

I'll have to admit that perhaps selfishness is one way to view it, however I prefer to think of it as "taking care of business" first.

If I let myself think my intent in playing to an audience when I first setup and begin is to establish a connection with them it increases my nervousness. If, on the other hand, I begin with the intent of having a great time with my band and view it as a jam in which there just happens to be other people present, then my focus (and I believe the primary one) is with the music and my bandmates. Once that connection is made those who are watching/listening become part of the mix and I can relax and re-inforce the grove we ALL are sharing. Seems to work for me in calming my butterflies.

Of course my level of playing and gigging doesn't compare to your vast exprience and so undoubtedly the personal dynamics of how you mentally set yourself up before performing would very well be different.

I guess it's a personality thing. I do believe we both have the same goal-- to make that audience connection, that powerful vibe in which you and those for whom you are playing share an incredible ride. Do the mental gymnastics each of us go through to get there really matter?
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Charangaman...My apologies....my bad...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises