Michael Spiro online conga classes

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Michael Spiro online conga classes

Postby taikonoatama » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:01 pm

I see that Mike Spiro has a new site with online lessons, and there are some clips on youtube as well:

http://congamasterclass.com/

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=B83WXjcjw4w

He really is one hell of a great teacher (and player). I've had group classes with him (one week quinto workshop at the Afro-Cuban workshop in Humboldt) and a couple of private lessons and have to say they were some of the best and most well-taught classes of any subject I've had in my life - the guy really knows this music at a deep level and how to explain it to people, whether it be concepts, patterns, or whatever. Just a great teacher.

James
taikonoatama

Re: Michael Spiro online conga classes

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:01 pm

taiko,
Thanks for posting this information here on the forum. Are you, or anyone else in this forum, a subscriber of this Spiro site? If so, can you give us some feedback on the online video lessons? Thanks!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby taikonoatama » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 pm

>can you give us some feedback on the online video lessons?

Well, I thought that bembe video example excellent as far as it goes - very well explained and taught. Not sure if he goes into the caja part (such as there is for the bembe lead) in the actual class, as this might just be one clip of the basic bembe support part setup and there could be more available if you're signed up for his class.

I just found out about his classes but haven't signed up yet. $20 for a month of unlimited access to the lessons sounds like a great deal to me. I'll let you know. I already knew/could do everything shown in that bembe clip, but I think/hope there's some more advanced/challenging material in the lessons as well. We shall see. I've been playing a lot of Abakua lately so I'm particularly interested in how he approaches that. Also, I really do like his teaching style/method a lot, and it's helped me become a better "teacher" when I've had to explain stuff to people, or show them how to play a part.
Last edited by taikonoatama on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taikonoatama

Postby Congadelica » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi guys .

I have been using it for a few weeks , and I can say that the Iyesa and the bembe parts to go to a more advanced level like all of the rythms . the free stuff is just a taste . the breakdown of abakua is exellent too .

I am very impressed with this site . its probibly the best video teaching Ive seen , he is very clear and explains in a easy understanding way . Meistro Spiro get s my thumbs 8) .

Im looking forward to developing more along with other things Ive got going atm. :wink: :mrgreen:

Suave

Marco
Congadelica

Postby windhorse » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:42 pm

I went through all of the Bembe, Rumba, and most of the Abakua a while back, and have been so busy these past few weeks that I couldn't spend the quality time studying the videos.. But, from my initial perusals, I learned several small things about the Bembe the leads that I had never considered and had not been shown before. The Rumba and Abakua are also filled with little gems I had not known to exist, as well as ways of looking at the interactions that make you go "ah" "hmmm"... :)
I agree... This is going to be a must in the arsenal of teaching tools for people who are serious about picking up traditional Cuban repertoire.
windhorse

Postby sjhendee » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:10 am

Thanks everyone for the compliments,

I've been working with Michael over the past few months developing/recording/shooting video for the site, congamasterclass.com. Everyone's excitement over the site has been very exciting for both of us. We have over 50 videos currently and will add more as often as we can. Mike has been really busy starting a new job as one of the professor's of percussion at the Jacob's School of Music in Indiana. But somehow he has managed to find time to keep the project going. I was lucky enough to meet Michael at just the right time, I am a High School Band Director by trade and was fortunate to have his son (who you can see on many of our videos) in my class for the past four years. My role in the site is that video/audio/web guy. My joke is "the worst of both worlds, Band Geek and Computer Geek!" (groan here)

One thing that we are really proud of is the videos where he plays one of the parts in a particular style, with the other parts that were previously tracked playing simultaneously. We have finished a couple of videos for Abakua and they are up on the site and today we shot some for Guaguanco. Members of the site have commented on how it really gives meaning to how the different parts fit and interact with each other.

If anyone would like to try the site out, you can use the coupon code congaplace and get $10 off the first month. I will continue to post videos on YouTube, but most of the good stuff is though subscription.

Finally, if anyone has ideas for content they would like to see in the future post here or send me a PM. We have tons of ideas but it never hurts to get more input.

Steve
sjhendee

Postby Congadelica » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:19 am

Hi Steve .
Id love to see some Rumba columbia or some 6/8 bata patterns to fit in a Bata Rumba style .

keep up the good work

marco
Congadelica

Postby afrocubarico » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Steve,
Thank you for coming onto the forum and giving us some info on congamasterclass.com and for giving us a clue on current and future projects with the site. I was perusing the site along with the free videos and one thing that impressed me was the video/audio quality as well as the way Michael broke down his instructions. I also like the fact that according to the site, you guys plan on adding additional percussive instruments to your instructional line-up. You have certainly convinced me to sign up and become a subscriber. I'm with congadelica, would love to see some rumba columbia and 6/8 patterns!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby vinnieL » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:18 am

Do the videos explain how to play these rhythms as a single player or does it just show the single parts for each player in a rumba setting? The reason I ask is because i don't play in a rumba setting so for me learning rhythms as a single player is beneficial to me at this time. For example ive been playing around with Abakua that i picked up from a Roberto Vizcaino video on youtube.
vinnieL

Postby Congadelica » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:25 am

Id say the contenet is based on single drum players . although Mike does show some combination parts . But in the main its Rumba school.
that said ,There is also a great section breaking down Tumbao thats obviously 2 congas .

Marco
Congadelica

Postby vinnieL » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:49 am

Thanks for the info it's a shame because ive been looking for some good instructional type videos on Palo etc and there aren't many rumbas going on in my area so i am a lone ranger playing alone so i end up playing all the commercialized single player multiple drum versions of rhythms.
vinnieL

Postby TONE74 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:56 am

VinnieL, I think you can benefit greatly from learning the individual parts. I know first I learned guaguanco on two drums and I was never happy with the way it sounded because it just din't feel like I was getting the sound I wanted. After learning it in individual parts correctly and then trying it again there was a big difference. Thats just my opinion I don't know if others agree. Peace
TONE74

Postby Congadelica » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Agreed Tone.
He does concentrate on single drum patterns for bembe ,guaguanco , and obviously Tumbao.
I think you could learn a bit from this . the way he teaches he uses a secnd drum quite a bit in the advanced stages of the members section.
It really is quality stuff , myself and a few friends are impressesed.

give it a wurl for $10 .

marco
Last edited by Congadelica on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congadelica

Postby afrocubarico » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:24 am

Tone my brother, you hit it right on the mule skin! Sweeeeet. Learning to play real cuban rumba one drum at a time is a beautiful way to learn this incredible artform. I totally dug the videos on the Low Drum, parts 1 & 2 for Guaguanco. I'm anxious to see what's in store for part three. Just like Grand Master Tone said, learning in parts helps improve your multiple drum techique. Sweeeeeet.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby TONE74 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 pm

afrocubarico wrote:Just like Grand Master Tone said

con~o asere! Yo no sabia que tu pensabas que yo era esa clase de mostro. :D

suave
TONE74

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises