How did you learn to play congas?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby phillyjo26 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:53 am

Hello, I just discovered this website the other day. I think that its great. I too am 46 years old and just started taking lessons fo about 3 years. In the last 3 years I have had 4 wonderful teachers. Also here in Philadelphia a group of guys get together on Saturday's and play. They are very good and show me alot. However, I have settled on a great teacher. He has a master's degree from Cuba. He is an excellent teacher. I feel that you need to learn how to hit the drum so that you don't mess your hands up. Each one of my teachers had me working on getting a good tone out of the drum first. It doesn't matter if you can play the rythems if you sound bad. Cuco has some great online classes. He also has exercises online. His web sit is www.jrcuba.com

Currently,I play for my church choir and for dance classes. These are great opportunities because the important thing is creating a good sound. You also play the same thing over and over so this will give you chance to develope your tone.
phillyjo26

Re:

Postby estragon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:00 am

Omelenko wrote:[color=#000080]Mongo developed my left hand, Mongo was the best conguero but not the best teacher. With the left he told me to use heel and fingertip motion and to repeat the phrase "PURA MADURA" and play that phrase with heel-fingertip on the left. If you play PURA MADURA with your left you'll be executing the perfect tumbao pattern.

Could you or anyone elaborate on this please?

Would it be: HTHTT?

Or do the words 'Puranas Madura' break down the feel of the groove in continuous HTHTH?

Love to hear!
estragon

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises