How do you guys play small-headed congas?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:51 pm

I just picked up a pair of LP junior congas, with the 8" and 9" heads. When I started messing around with them, the first thing I realized was that there just isn't any room on the heads for some of the typical hand techniques. I'm sure it doesn't help that I have big hands, but I suspect that is a general thing with small-headed drums anyway. I'm finding that these drums will have their place in my arsenal as finger drums, as well as something I can use sticks and mallets on. Sort of like large bongos instead of congas, perhaps.

But, how do YOU guys play drums that have head diameters between, say, 8 and 10 inches? What techniques do you use?
Whopbamboom

Postby Tonio » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 pm

I always wanted a set of the Junior congas.
I would think you may have to adjust your hand technique for conga type stuff, but may also work the the bongo "fingers approach too.

IMO, my hands are long , so I pull back my hand more to hit the mid point between the main knuckles and 2nd joint-especially for requinto slaps- Cuban style.
Bongo macho- I tend to go inside the knuckles depending on how hard(volume) the open notes need to be.

T
Tonio

Postby Garvin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:59 pm

I would try leaving your index finger completely out of the equation. Slap, tone should be achievable with just your last three fingers. I don't know though, give it a shot. :D
Garvin

Postby onile » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:46 am

Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all well and abundantly blessed!

Abure Whopbamboom, I have a set of red fiberglass Jr.'s and there is a particular way to play them. I recommend finding the "sweet-spot" for the "tonal" sound (which will require you to use your four fingers from the meat of your palm to the tips), then getting a slap on them. That's pretty much it, they aren't multi-dimensional in sound, but they do lend themselves to a bit of bata drum sound. I actually bought them for my 7yr. old to get her started on congas more appropriate for her size. They're fun to play, but as I stated, they're pretty limited in the sound application.

Have fun with them! "Sticks" or "Mallets" hadn't thought of that, but then again I'm pretty traditional in my approach to skin on skin application.

Many blessings Abures!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:06 am

I would consider those more to the size used for children and not for adults....You need a drum at least 11 inches round to play on....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:20 am

Again and again it is also a question of which type of skin is on a drum.
I also started off with not-so-good small-sized congas (9 3/4"+11" set), knowing not much about congs at all, but one thing was for sure: the sewn-in heads were a load of %&§!
but after mounting a cowhide on the smaller 9 3/4 drum, the tone improved greatly, and the point is that you can hit the drum with two and a half fingers and a really decent sound emerges!
OK, I don´t play it much anymore, Johnny is right, they´re good for kids - and my boys enjoy them as you can see in the pic :;):
Mind you, I wouldn´t do this again, this is a warning to those who are off to buy all kinds of LP Aspire drums or the like: Don´t repeat the mistakes I made 20 years ago, get yourself one decent drum!! :D
Small-headed quality drums are a different matter, though. I haven´t played any so far.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... lp_ter.JPG
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:57 pm

I think as JC said, more for kids.
A regular conga can give you some and more , than what a baby conga can.
I have a gon bop requinto, 10.5" and I find the head area very small, good for high accents, if you put a goat head on it you may get those bata overtones.
So babyc congas if not for your kid.... definitivamente a waste of money.

Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks for the input.

I don't really consider them a waste of money ('course, I only paid $121 for them with the stand). But then again, I tend to focus on getting different tones/sounds into the music. I can get sounds out of these little things that I cannot get out of large congas. As far as volume is concerned, they are quite loud when struck with sticks! In my opinion, an instrument usually has its place somwhere. Just have to find the musical application...
Whopbamboom

Postby boogie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:09 pm

there is a style of music in washington dc called go go music if you ever really wanna see how there used go to google and type in smoke smackin congos and see..o yeah in dc there called congos with an o instead of an a......but youll see,that washington dc is probably the only area where those are more important than any other size conga
boogie

Postby Tonio » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:15 pm

WBB, you didn't waste your money. And as far as the whole size thing, IMO and no disrespect to anyone if you want to pursue an application for the Junior congas, go for it. They do have a place in music, its not all about being traditional. Be innovative, creative.
FYI check out Manolo w/ Spyro Gyra days, Mayuto Correa - w/ Donald Byrd good stuff w/ bongos however.

Check out this http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Black....nRmZWF0

T
Tonio

Postby blango » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:08 pm

??

I am puzzled by the comments about Requintos on this string.

Please guys, they are not kids drums.

I find them EXTREMELY usuful in a rumba setting played with another quinto ala Clave Y Guaguanco. You can add the fattest melodies.

In this setting, its played with one hand, with only open tone, muff, or slap.

Depending on your hand size, you may want to play it with less of your hand, like bata.

Tony
blango

Postby Tonio » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:35 am

Agreed, lets not forget the Okonkolo is 5, 7, Itotele 6, 8", even the Iya is 7, 13(cha/enu respectively) usually.
couldn't get more manly than that :;):

T

Edited By Tonio on 1185935789
Tonio

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:26 am

I am puzzled by the comments about Requintos on this string.

Please guys, they are not kids drums.

Tony aka blango, U R right.
I was only referring to lower-quality drums that HAPPEN TO HAVE requinto sized-heads.

Again, like in real life, there are goodies and baddies :;):

Mike

Edited By Mike on 1185942512
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises