Practice Exercise - cool tumbao exercise

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby jmdriscoll » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Ok, so I was practicing today after being inspired and amazed by many videos in the video thread last night. I was thinking to myself.. "man, some of those guys have fluidity, virtuoso ability. What kind of rudiments could I do that would teach me some of thse skills, and allow me to simply express myself with less technical difficulties" :laugh: While practicing, I had an "ah-haa!" moment. Now, this rudiment seems to cover a lot of skills to me, and it may have been published somewhere at somepoint.. but I figure that I'll lay it out to see what you all think. It might help to write it on paper, so that you don't have to deal with the streched screen.. "I should have shrunk the file before attaching.

Basically, it is a standard 1 drum tumbao. The only difference is that you are alternating between playing it right handed and left handed every 2 measures. I was also switching between opens and muff's every 4th measure. I think that it helps in the following ways:

1) Helps to play the tumbao equally strong, playing right or left handed.
2) Helps you create uniformity in your hits between your right and left hand.
3) Allows you to build your mechanical skills evenly between your right and left hands.

After practicing this rudiment for about 45 minutes straight, I instantly noticed an increase in speed, timing, and hit technique when playing a tumbao right or left handed. I think that this is a great intermediate exercise.. I was also going from open tones to muffs every 4th measure. I hope that this can help somebody else as well. This is how it goes:

B=Bass
T=Toe
S=Slap
O=Open
M=Muff

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1185640088

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ERCISE.jpg
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby Amber » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi,

what about this version for exercising both hands:

BTSTBTOO BTSTBTOO
LLRLLLRL RRLRRRLR

and so on in a circle....

:p Amber
Amber

Postby jmdriscoll » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:22 am

Amber, that seems equally as effective. :)
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

jmdriscoll

Postby blango » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:05 am

Amber's is like the tumbao most people play, with the triple heel tip, and the slap with the same hand as the open tones.

Ive never seen the tumbao you listed jmd. Where did you get it?

Tony
blango

Postby jmdriscoll » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:30 pm

Blanco, I just came up with it when I was playing the other day. I do not necessarily intend to play a tumbao as shown, but rather use it as a rudiment to practice muscle memory in both hands. I split it in the middle because both hands are actually playing a standard one drum tumbao.. but only a half a measure at a time. It is a little out of the ordinary, but is pretty fun once you get going. Then after playing with that exercise for about 15-20 minutes, I did a right and left handed tumbao. I can tell a difference in both hands. :)

MD

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1185726707

jmdriscoll

Postby bongo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:56 am

jmdriscoll
That's cool .... stuff like that is always good.

Edited By bongo on 1185861050
bongo

Postby congalero » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 am

well put tony. this shows in your drumming technique.
congalero

Postby pavloconga » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 am

Thanks guys cool stuff! I'll give it some practice tomorrow.
pavloconga

Postby Roka » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:47 am

pavloconga wrote:Thanks guys cool stuff! I'll give it some practice tomorrow.

Another one cool book:

The "Stoned" Hand-drum

Enjoy :)
Roka

Postby franc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 pm

roka
thanks for the info. great resource. hope all those that are starting will use this methods of excercise. my best to you!!!! ache and take care!! franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby jmdriscoll » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:30 pm

I ran across a very similar pattern as what I posted above in Tomasito's Vol 1. it goes:

BTSBBTOO BTSBBTOO
LLRLRRLL RRLRLLRR

Just another variation to exercise the minds processes. Gotta keep my mind on it's toes so I keep on learning :)

MD

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1186079703

jmdriscoll

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises