Muted slap ala Lenny ..

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Tonio » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:26 am

Check this out, my man Lenny Castro video.
http://www.castlecreekrecording.com/lennyccrbig.mov

I was suprised at Lenny's slap technique??? Anyone do this? His left hand is way out by the bearing edge. I usually have my left hand toward the other end, covering most of the skin. Also I thought he used an open slap not traditonal based on most of the recording s I have archived. man videos really do tell all.

He is using LP Accents-tribal here, which he started endorsing Lp's a few years ago. The last of the studio conguero to keep using old Gons Bops. Allthough, this session is in Indiana, not his usual gig in LA. Maybe he rented? His bongos appears to be used and cranked up as usual (LP). Alsoto note, on his site he has some Mopercs!! Like 3 different models.

T
Tonio

Postby burke » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:50 pm

See what you mean. The left is further out than most.

Because I was taught wrong mine is the opposite. Left (the mute) is deep and my right is too far out near the edge (almost a muted rim shot).

But all that aside - man oh man did I ever love the music in his sound!!!.

Tasty, tasty playing - and the opposite of all the pirotecnics we were talking about (at great length) in a previous thread.

Thanks for sharing that.

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby Tonio » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Darrell, funny you mention that. I had started out like you with the right hand almost to the rim. When I finally got some lessons, I corrected it pretty quick. Its hard when you start out self taught with no resources. 20 years later, I find it ethereal.

Lenny is a great performer/studio musician. That video is not his usual style, though he does alot of modern genre work, he has molded his style since the 70's and still strong. Check out his bio, he is on the top 3 for session calls in LA for R&B, pop smooth jazz artists.

T
Tonio

Postby burke » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:39 pm

I sort of corrected it.

When I started playing other non muted slaps and started working on the left hand, I practiced those in a more traditional position. The ole right hand (when doing muted slaps) tends to drift back to theole position. Frankly it sounds alright to me - but I'm no professional.

Will indeed check out his bio.

Again thanks for sharing that.
Burke
burke

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises