Tomasito's Marcha Bomba

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Hey folks,
Not sure if anyone here is currently working with the Tomas Cruz Conga Method books, vol. 3. I just moved up from working with two drums to three drums and I decided to start with the first marcha from this volume (Marcha #1) which he calls Marcha Bomba.

Well, after several days of practicing this pattern I finally got it at full speed! (standing on top of my congas in a Rocky Balboa pose) What really kicked my ass on this one was believe it or not that damn ghost note right before the two open tones on the quinto and then finding the right timing to loop the whole pattern again.

I had such a hard time with that ghost note that I even considered taking it out but then realized that's not the way to go. So after several hundred tries I finally got it! It's a beautiful marcha using three drums and I plan to polish it up really good. Incidentally, I purchased the album, Con La Conciencia Tranquila by Paulito F.G. where Tomasito plays these marchas/patterns with a full ensemble and it sounds sweet. Anyone here familiar with this marcha?

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby jmdriscoll » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:11 pm

I have the 2 drum version from vol2 down pat, but I have not tried this 3 drum version. I have been working on the 2 drum longer marchas from vol3, but maybe I'll give this one a try this weekend. :cool: I'll let you know how it turns out... how many hundred times I have to go through it before I can play without thinking about it.. :D
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby congamyk » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:12 am

Tomas Cruz rocks :D
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:03 am

The reality of Tomas's experience in learning covered up to 10 hours a day up to 6 days a week for 9 years.....and yes it takes 'supreme' patience to learn the longer patterns he shows...I be sweatin too!....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTick » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:51 pm

JC,

Slightly off-topic, but I gotta tell ya.... Went to your website (again) and was re-captivated by JC'S REVENGE and CARIBE MADNESS (as well as the other two tracks). Your style and mastery is an inspiration. Abslutely superb. Anybody wants to hear how it's should be done, should give this a listen. I truly respect the dues you've paid and the result is self-evident. I'll never get to that point, but every day that I practice, I'll keep imagining I'll get closer. Thanks for being part of this forum.
CongaTick

Postby jmdriscoll » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:57 am

Congatick, ditto what you said about JC's website. Whenever I see somebody lay down mean grooves like this, with such virtuoso ability, it gently reminds me that what I don't know is so much more that what I do know. This always feeds my aspiration to practice more and ultimately become a better player.

I did end up deciphering this rhythm this weekend, and I found it easiest to learn it in two parts. 1st half before the rest then the 2nd half. Then played together once both halves were learned... "something my teacher recommended." I think that sleep is a major factor in my learning process, as I always play a rhythms better after a nights sleep. I'll practice it untill I can't practice it anymore.. in this case about 2hrs before my butt started hurtin from that hard stool that I sit on. The next morning I play it, and wow.. more speed, uniformity in timing and tone definition. My biggest problem now is that I tend to accidentally make the second ghost note a slap. Gotta stop doing that, and keep it slow till it is mastered. But it is a fun rhythm to play. :) Seems that every new rhythm that I learn, gives me just a little more playing freedom across the board. Maybe it's those neuro-pathways under construction again. :D
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby Jongo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:26 pm

I love the Tomas Cruz books! I remember the marcha you are talking about and when I got it down it sounded so good. Whenever I am out and I play something from Tomas Cruz inevitably someone will come up and ask what I was playing. People really enjoy those funky Tomas Cruz marchas!
Jongo

Postby afrocubarico » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:09 am

jm,
Glad you enjoyed Marcha Bomba. I have been working it everyday and will continue to do so until I can do it in my sleep. You're right about learning it in two parts; that's exactly what I did when learning it. I too was making the mistake of slapping down on the ghost note but eventually those neuro's you mentioned must have kicked in, lol. I think that doble tapado is invaluable when playing congas.

jongo,
You're right, I think the marchas in this course are great and when played well they do create a unique sound most people are not used to hearing . I'm not a big fan of Timba per se but I do like the patterns that Tomasito plays/teaches in this course.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby Jongo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Funny that you mention that you are not a big fan of Timba because I am not really a big fan of that genre either but I love the aspects of it for percussion. The conga player has more freedom and those Timba patterns are funky fresh.
I used to play in a jazz group and the first time I threw in some Timba stuff the bandleaders head popped up and he listened for a few moments, nodded his head and I knew I had him!
Jongo

Postby TONE74 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 am

Timba is my favorite music, maybe cause my ears are used to it or something. I feel maybe its too Cuban for non Cubans. These musicians can tear it up and I can feel the energy in it ( of course there are some that even I don't like). I like the fact that they can throw anything in there and blend it so well. I don't know but they can get down, if I could play in a band timba would be it. I ve been listening to timba since NG first came out and its always evolving also bomba in timba is not always refering to the pattern being played its usually the percussion breakdown with coros when things get toward the end and the energy level is up. Check Timba.com they have a history of Cuban music and it talks about some interesting stuff ( to me anyway )

Afrocubarico sorry for hijacking your thread but I just wanted show this for people that don't know.

Here is a video of a bomba ( breakdown ) part that I saw in you tube. Old school Manolin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5L-5jklNzEY
TONE74

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 am

Hey Tone74,
What's up dude. Good talking to you on the phone my brother. Hey, have you studied the Tomas Cruz books/DVD? If so, care to share your opinion about this course? I think they're great books/DVDs. But of course, one should also learn by actually playing with others. Laterz.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby TONE74 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Whats up Afrocubarico, good talking to you too. Yeah I have the whole series and waiting for a folkloric one that doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon. I think they are great also. The format is really good specially for beginners. I leaned a lot of the patterns on vol 2 and only about 2 of part 3. There is so much to learn in there that I dint know where to start. I took a look at Mozanbique and decided to leave it for later but Im anticipating it.
I also have the Michael Spiro book but havent gotten into it yet there is a lot to learn in there too. Check it out if you can. there is a lot of good stuff for rumba in there but there is no video, he breaks things down really well though. Its more a listening and feeling thing which is good.
Alright my brother take care and keep me posted about anything going on. Peace
TONE74

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises