Question about technique

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby TONE74 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:11 pm

I have a question thats probably difficult for you guys to answer without actually seeing me play. I did a lot of playing this weekend and twice I got the advice to play harder. First from a friend that started playing at about the same time as me another from an old school guy. I usually play at medium volume because I practice at home and dont like to make too much noise. I usually work on my technique and rythym and dont worry about soloing or anything which is the opposite of what these guys do. They play almost all open tones and are more into showing off ( they do it well I gotta give it to them). One of them told me that if I dont play hard Im never going to really get my own sound down. I get positive comments here and there from other people. Is there any truth to this or shold I just stay with my aproach. I eventually plan to let loose but when I get my skills up.
TONE74

Postby burke » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Just my opinion
To me the beauty of these drums we love is the range of sounds that can be gotten from them. So playing all (or mostly) open tones (even if you are fast) is not skillful or desirable.

and if you only play hard what happens to that other dimension of music called dynamics?
Burke
burke

Postby akdom » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:43 pm

playing hard is not necessary.

you should work on your sounds.. great sounds do not need volume... soloing can be done at low volume..

if your sounds are good, then gain confidence in yourself....

Playing loud distorts the quality of the sound if your strokes are not perfect.

B
akdom

Postby folkloricoSD » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Hey Tone,

Burke is deffinitely right about dynamics. In latin music there are times to play softer, and there are times to play louder. This should happen in every song you play. You don't want to be playing blaring loud and doing a ton of fills during a piano solo do you? Then on the other hand during the coro/montuno section you need to step up the volume, this section of the song naturally wants to step up another level. Just make sure that you are aware of the dynamics in the song you are playing. Oh and about the flashyness of the other congueros, keep doing what you are doing. 9 out of 10 times a drummer gets hired for his ability to stay in the pocket and keep solid time. Nobody wants to hire a guy who is going to step on everyones toes the whole gig. The soloing will come to you, it's something that developes over time, not over nite. Good luck with everything, and I hope I was of some help to you!!!
folkloricoSD

Postby TONE74 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:27 pm

Thats good to hear. I was thinking about changing my whole practice approach but I guess I don't need to. So far I'm satisfied with my progress for the amount of practice that I put in. One of the guys that we get together with came up with this nasty guaguanco mixed with something and I complemented him on it and all of the sudden he became an expert and started criticizing my playing and giving me advice :D I think thats what started the whole thing Thanks for the help guys!
TONE74

Postby windhorse » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:58 pm

Tone, I'm right with you!
I've taken it easy on my hands since day 1.. Partly because I've been around the block being in my 40s and starting a new instrument.
If I were a kid, well now I'd probably being banging away as gung ho as ever! :D
My goal while in the formative phase of learning, like yours, wasn't to be loud, but to be accurate.
I also had friends tell me that I was playing too soft.
I don't hear that any more, but that's probably because I've gradually upped the power on the strokes.
I think you've got the right the approach, especially if you don't need to wear protection while you play.. :D
windhorse

Postby Smejmoon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:22 pm

You need to put some energy in drums to get out sound. Try at home different levels and then figure out what you like. Obviously ability to vary volume adds to music.

I don't know if we can advise on internet how loud to play in band situation. :) Try to record overall sound or ask someone you trust to listen from a side.

I play at different volumes and trust that sound man will make it right; or in acoustic situation I go with my guts and ears.
Smejmoon

Postby Julio de Ipanema » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:27 am

hi,

for me its just a question of flams, groove and swing. Playing hard makes you loose some sounds that can be quite difficult get in others sound scale. And the same thing happens playing soft..play whatever you feel to what are you playing!! thats it!!

I am brazilian and I don't communicate exactly what I want to say, but check lessons of Acuña in the virtualdrummerschool.com and you will understand what I am trying to say..awesome!!
Julio de Ipanema

Postby martingoodson1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:05 am

Agree with the above but it's also worthwhile thinking about advice from other players. Maybe you weren't making yourself heard or playing aggressively enough when the music demanded it. Why don't you record a sesion and play it back to yourself to see whether you were being drowned out. Loud and fast has its place just as quiet and understated does.
martingoodson1

Postby yambu321 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:23 am

I AGREE WITH MARTINGOODSON1,

THAT WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT WAY TO GET ANSWERS. ALSO, IF MORE THAN ONE PERSON HAS MENTIONED THE SAME THING TO YOU, ABOUT YOUR PLAYING. IT'S MOST LIKELY TRUE, AND NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK. TAKE THE ADVICE, ADJUST, THEN ASK IF IT'S BETTER. USUALLY, ONCE YOU DO GET IT, YOU'LL GET AN IMMEDIATE RESPONSE OF APPROVAL FROM YOUR ASSOCIATES.

RESPECTFULLY,
CHARLIE "EL COQUI" VERDEJO :cool:

Edited By yambu321 on 1186513507
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby TONE74 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:41 am

I agree, and I do take all comments seriously since Im a beginner and still tweeking my playing. I'm also guessing that it could be that Im not playing with enough confidence and it shows. We also have some competiveness between us like when someone comes up with something good the other usually goes to work so I have to get ready for next week. :D
My main problem in my opinion is that I have been learning too many patterns but I havent really mastered any while they have one or two that they play really good but after a few minutes they want me to take over since I have more variety but cant really rock them and they get frustrated.
TONE74

Postby pavloconga » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:14 pm

There are times for playing loud and times for playing it down, i.e. dynamics as others have said. Also depends on whether you are miced up or not.

If you try to hit very hard as a relative beginner you can injure yourself if your technique is not right. There is a way to play hard where most of the energy goes into the drum instead of impacting your hands.

Take it one step at a time, work on your grooves and tones, slaps etc and it'll come together over time. The way you will get your own sound is to keep on studying and practicing.
ciao
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby CongaTick » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:36 pm

Tone,

Ignore the "dueling conga" ethic and concentrate on your stroke and your technique. One of the things I work on daily is trying to get the max volume with the minimum effort based on correct hand positioning, so that a crackling open-slap can be delivered with the hand beginning no more than a 1-2" off the head. Same for other strokes. You know when you're on the sweet spots. Be aware-- as said-- that using more brute force in executing a stroke may not only hurt you, but produce the opposite effect if technique and positioning aren't right. Play your game. Let the boys compete. Perfect your strokes and you will find the volume you are looking for assuming you have a tub and skin of reasonable quality tuned properly. My two...
CongaTick

Postby Jongo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Some great advice on this thread, really good stuff. I received some similar feedback from a Brasilian guy who told me I needed to play harder. So when we had the opportunity I asked what exactly he wanted from me. To him playing harder meant playing with more intensity, greater volume (at appropriate times) through better technique not force, and he also wanted me to develop my muscles more. He felt that my hands, wrists and forearms were not strong enough so he wanted me to work on that. So "play harder" meant all of those things to him. Incidentally, his forearms were about the size of my calf muscles and his hands were as thick as a dictionary. The man was built like a bull and damn could he play!
Jongo

Postby Tonio » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Some congueros are big handed and loud players, some are are smaller with finese.
Armando Peraza has very small hands. Normal build body. Can be loud, and can be dynamic.
We can list other congueros , but thats not the point.

Keep at learning patterns and getting the notes right. As time goes on your body will be in shape for what you are trying to play. Keep at it and your volume will increase.

At somepoint you need to think about dynamics within a tune, and about what "your " style is.

It will take some time and try to incorporate new things like volume, or dynamics into your pratice time. Funny thing is, its harder to play slowly with conviction and feeling then it is to be speedy gonzalez.

T
Tonio

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises