Tightening of Tuning Hooks - Two methods, which is best?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:35 am

Hello, today I bought a set of congas from a guy and he was telling me how to tune them by tightening every other hook instead of consecutively. Well, when I first started out I used to tighten every other hook until one day I was told it was better to tighten them consecutively. I have done it this way for many years and I believe it is the better method. I would like to hear from some of you guys what your preference is and why. It will probably shed a lot of light on congeros just starting out.
Thanks very much.
Thebreeze

Postby yambu321 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:52 am

THE BREEZE,

FOR TUNING CONGAS YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO FROM ONE LUG TO THE NEXT ALL THE WAY AROUND THE DRUM, JUST 1/2 TURN AT A TIME UNTIL TUNED. FORGET THAT OTHER METHOD OF TIGHTENING EVERY OTHER LUG. IT'LL MESS WITH YOUR SKIN, HARDWARE AND DRUM THROUGH TIME.

FOR BONGOS, SINCE THERE'S ONLY FOUR LUGS ON EACH DRUM. TUNE EACH DRUM USING THE CRISS CROSS METHOD OF TUNING, AGAIN WITH NO MORE THAN 1/2 A TURN AT A TIME.

THESE ARE THE RIGHT METHODS. :;):

I HOPE THIS HELPS. :D

CHARLIE "EL COQUI" VERDEJO

Edited By yambu321 on 1188266099
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 am

Thanks Charlie. You gave a great answer. Thanks for including Bongos as well.
Thebreeze

Postby yambu321 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:17 am

YOU'RE WELCOME.

I'M GLAD TO BE ABLE TO HELP.

ANYTIME,
CHARLIE "EL COQUI" VERDEJO :D
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:52 am

Charlie...just to clarify one point. As you look at the tuning hook, you can see that you can only tighten it from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock because the other half of the clock is blocked by the conga shell. So when you say half a turn are you saying 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock ( 1/4 ) or 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock ( 1/2 turn ) ? Hope you can picture this example.
Thanks very much.
Thebreeze

Postby yambu321 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:31 am

THEBREEZE.

BASICALLY,

PLACE YOUR WRENCH ON THE NUT, AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PLATE, THEN AS YOU TIGHTEN THE NUT. THE SWING MOTION OF THE WRENCH WILL STOP ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PLATE. THAT IS WHAT I CALL HALF A TURN. PLEASE ENSURE TO KEEP YOUR TURNS EVEN FROM NUT TO NUT.

CHARLIE :;):
yambu321

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Ok....That is exactly what I would also call half a turn. Just wanted to make sure. Happy drumming to you Bro.
Thanks for the input.
Thebreeze

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises