The Bass Tone - Hand position

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Bongo Boy » Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:13 pm

Okay kids, here's what I found on an online lesson, said to have been transcribed from lessons given by a professional instructor. PLEASE comment--I've not seen this before, and once again, it contradicts what I've got on my Sanabria and Hildago videos.

"To make the bass, lay your hand flat on the drum. Pull your fingers toward the back of your hand and pull your thumb so that it touches your index finger. Your hand should now look like a dome, with the knuckles sticking up, but with the tips of your fingers, your thumb and the edge of your hand all touching the drum. To play the bass, maintain this position and strike the drum in such a way that your wrist pushes your hand to the drum. Think of it like your hand is digging into the drum. Strike the center of the drum for the fullest bass sound."

Now, before you rip me a new one, JC, I PROMISE I'll take lessons as soon as I get the cars paid off, the girls thru college, and my wife's surgery paid for :).

Edited By Bongo Boy on Feb. 08 2002 at 18:15
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:49 am

yeah i'v seen this is the way i'v been playing bass for years... plus my drum teacher gave me this paper with the exact same thing (wording and all).... coincidence? ;)

dont know itf its "right", but hey, it gives good bass..

Edited By timo on Feb. 09 2002 at 11:50
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Bongo Boy » Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:36 am

Bongo Boy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises