Gringa Needs Music

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Gringa Needs Music

Postby mydogsowner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Yes, this Gringa with some basic rhythm needs help! :D

I recently went to the music store to try to purchase some CD's to get me into the musical-conga-groove, so to speak.

I ended up asking the salesperson to suggest some music for me to listen to so I can become familiar with some afro-cuban and brazilian rhythms. He did, and I was eager to play them. Well, they are umm, not exactly what I had in mind. I don't think he really understood what I was seeking, quite honestly. Foolish me to ask a Gringo for help in this area anyhow!

Any suggestions by anyone? I desire music with percussive soul! :D
mydogsowner

Re: Gringa Needs Music

Postby Congadelica » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:29 pm

You clould get some Folkloric music . Los Munequitos de matanzas , afrocuba de matanzas , rumberos de cuba. to name a few of my fave . this music is based on single drum playing but it has soul and a foundation IMHO for any aspring Rumbero / congureo . Im not sure how exposed you are with Cuban music there is tons of stuff on you tube .
It all boils down to what you like . Im asuming you have no idea of any Cuban rythms?

we need a little more feedback , this instrument is used in many setting of modern music . the more you become atuned to the sound of Congas you will hear them more in all the music you listen too . Big tip listen to any music with BIG ears .

OK now Im confused :D

marco
Congadelica

Postby mydogsowner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Yes, I have no idea of Cuban rhythms, other than what I have heard while watching ballroom dancing! I'll admit it! I grew up in the suburbs of Boston, listening to rock-n-roll.

I have started watching youtube videos, and have found lot's of info there, but nothing specific. I am looking for CD's that I can listen to in my car, since I drive a lot with my job.

Maybe some "must have" CD's? Music to get me started on the right path. I know there are many paths out there, but I seek a few real conga-treats. Does this make any sense?
mydogsowner

Postby congamyk » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm

MDO, there is a basic list of rhythms and musical accompaniment in the conga lessons on this website for free.

If you asked every member of this forum you will get 100 different answers on what you should listen to.
This is where a personal instructor would come in handy, as there are many genres within the term "Latin" music.
Secondly... Brazilian music is a completely DIFFERENT genre. It is a different study altogether.
Congas are Afro-Cuban. Yes, congas are used in some Brazilian music but it's different conga rhythms/patterns than Cuban.

If you are focusing on familiarizing yourself with music featuring congas, you should seek music of the Afro-Cuban genres.
Sorry if this is confusing but there are 2 different approaches within that context, and many, many sub-styles.
1) Folkloric/Rumba - the foundation of congas and is the most sophisticated/complex.
2) Latin Pop/Salsa - less complex but perhaps a simpler introduction to conga drumming.

In the end you will learn and love both!
congamyk

Postby CongaTick » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 pm

As said-- congas are a large part of modern music today. Why don't you tell us what music you like to listen to. As a starting point this will help us direct you to CD's in whcih congas play a part in that music.
CongaTick

Postby No.2-1820 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:38 pm

I would start with some of the heavy conga driven latin soul stuff, Ray Barretto - Que Viva La Musica

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Viva-Musica ... 66&sr=1-11

Mongo Santa Maria - Afro-Indio

http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Indio-Mongo- ... 810&sr=1-1

Big funky heavy hitters that are fun to listen to and get in the groove with, great clear tumbao's to get in the pocket with.

As far as folkloric, I would encourage the study of it, but I would start with a good teacher for the ground work, in my opinion to start out on your own with folkloric rhythms just from CD's would be very confusing and probably frustrating. CD's like those above are great to start with and get your hands used to the drums.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby mydogsowner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 pm

I really like all music, except for opera.

I was hoping that certain "must have" CD's would come to mind for people. I know it's hard for people to suggest things when it's such a broad category. I wish I knew more to help narrow it down.

If someone wanted to hear saxophone I would suggest John Coltrane's Blue Train. If they wanted Pop music, The Beatles. Djemebe: Mamady Keita. Etc.

I'm thinking that for certain genres or musical instruments, that there are timeless iconic CD's out there.

Personal favorites are welcome too! :)
mydogsowner

Postby congamyk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:17 am

In that case I would 2nd the Ray Barretto suggestion.
Almost anything by Ray or Mongo Santamaria is standard - check out "AfroRoots".

If you offered an anonymous email address you might get a lot of free music sent to you that you could check out.
:lol:
Last edited by congamyk on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
congamyk

Postby taikonoatama » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:15 am

I agree with Barrie on starting with the "heavy conga driven latin soul stuff."

After that, here are 5 classic CDs with latin-percussion in the forefront - must-haves at some point for anyone seriously into congas and latin music. I think all of these are quite accessible for someone with a reasonably wide taste in music.

Cachao Y Julio Gutierrez - Cuban Jam Session Vol. 2
Mongo Santamaria - Afro Roots
Tito Puente - Top Percussion
Totico Y Sus Rumberos
Grupo Folklorico Y Experimental Nuevayorquino - Concepts In Unity

I'm putting mp3 copies of all of these up on my server and I'll send you a private message with a link to them as soon as they finish uploading - maybe Monday at this point with the file sizes.

James
taikonoatama

Postby mydogsowner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:17 am

WOW! I already youtubed a few samples of what was mentioned here and I am so excited now! This is great stuff! Keep it coming! :)

I can sense doors opening in my brain. Awesome.

This forum is the best!

Lisa :D
mydogsowner

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:43 am

Afro roots for sure, simply some of the greatest music ever.
41H9N64ZJZL._AA300_.jpg
41H9N64ZJZL._AA300_.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 6497 times

and Raices Africanas for one of the most phenomenal folkloric albums ever.
61jbq-mZRsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
61jbq-mZRsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 6498 times

and finally one of the most groundbreaking albums of all time by the best conguero ever
to walk the earth, Anga Diaz!
0769233007124.jpg

These three albums are really some of the most innovative and incredible percussion based
albums of all time. There are others for certain, but you can do no wrong with these three.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:15 am

I suppose it might help if you KNEW what you were looking for exactly. Congas are... a drum... (don't flame me yet, hear me out) on which virtually any rhythm can be played, at least theoretically. Just like any other percussive instrument. But of course, there are nuances that they tend to lend themselves to as well, and the sounds can be rather infectuous. At any rate, they have been used successfully in many types of music. And there is a HUGE difference between say, the music of the Doobie Brothers and, say, traditional afro-cuban rumbas, as well as, say, various types of Latin jazz. Now-- since you may not know EXACTLY what you are looking for, perhaps it would be good to just start exploring. You may find your favorite musical setting for the conga, or you may find your favorite types of rhythms that sound great on conga. You may wind up discovering a whole lot of stuff that you like. I personally have learned to love the sound of the conga in most musical settings that I have heard it used in. Others may prefer only certain settings, such as traditional Cuban perhaps. Only you can decide for yourself what you will appreciate, so start exploring lots of types of music recordings that have been made with congas. There is an older thread here that ought to have a bunch of different stuff:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2256

happy hunting.
Whopbamboom

Postby thomas newton » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Why not have look back through the 'Videos' thread?

regards,
R.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby CongaTick » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Be careful, Lisa. Once you get "hooked", your life will never be the same :D
CongaTick

Postby windhorse » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:20 pm

I'd go with the three BNB posted!!
and maybe add Los Munequitos Vacunao & John Santos's Hacia el Amor.
windhorse

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises