Drum Mike ??????

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Congadelica » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi Guys Im at the start of getting a reasonable set of drum mikes , I have a few questions ?
Firstly I would need them to be linked to my PC and also a mixer both I want something flexable with a decent sound I like to play warm mellow grooves accompanying DJ mixes of all generes.
I have seen these on e bay
item number 160154969790 .
I am thinking a 5 in 1 or 2 out mix set up I have no idea of this equipment I have done some reading on here and the net but Im still confused what I should buy.

Thanks for reading

marco
Congadelica

Postby CongaTick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Geez, Congadelica. I must be thick cause I just don't get the blank postings. Are they a shorthanded symbolism for a comment/a critique/ what?
CongaTick

Postby Congadelica » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:52 pm

not sure why my posts are blank Ill try again.
could it be you have accidently pressed the ijnor button on me :D

Ill try again

Hi Guys Im at the start of getting a reasonable set of drum mikes , I have a few questions ?
Firstly I would need them to be linked to my PC and also a mixer both I want something flexable with a decent sound I like to play warm mellow grooves accompanying DJ mixes of all generes.
I have seen these on e bay
item number 160154969790 .
I am thinking a 5 in 1 or 2 out mix set up I have no idea of this equipment I have done some reading on here and the net but Im still confused what I should buy.

Thanks for reading

marco
Congadelica

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:08 pm

I can see the postings just fine, if you can't see his post you might have accidently pressed the "Ignore" button, that'll make the posts appear blank, look into it.
bongosnotbombs

Postby CongaTick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Bongo and Congadelica.

Okay, my apologies. 65 year old brain is heading down the tubes. Thank you for the "unignore" clue handed to a guy who obviously had "no clue" :(
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Congadelica,

Just picked up this mixer for $99 Tapco mixer MD 120 made by Mackie.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix120/

Will be trying it out tomorrow at practcie. I use four mics. A three Samson clip-on package for my 3 congas and an overhead stand mic which I use either for my bongos or big, stand-mounted djembe, depending on gig requirements. More on how the mixer performs after tomorrow.
CongaTick

Postby windhorse » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:58 am

Good luck on the mixer! Looks small and non-beefy but a nice array of choices on the input/outputs.

I've got some good mics - I like the Audix D2s best for phantom option. Place them a conga's height distance from the drum and you can't go wrong.
Not sure about what's best in the powered mic world.

I'm dreaming of a portable recording studio with maybe a laptop computer with Pro Tools and big dedicated hard drive for storage.
windhorse

Postby CongaTick » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:58 pm

Windhorse,

The audix's would really be my forst choice. The Samson kit is a cheap and low end choice for a guy who just don't have the bread. Same for the mixer. But for now, and the level of gigging in my life... they'll do.
CongaTick

Postby Tonio » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:42 pm

Hola Marco.
Do you have a ad/da(analog to digital convertor) interface? Or are you using the 1/8" analogue jack on the PC/soundcard?
If you have firewire or USB2 capabilities(should for any modern computer), there are many options. I would go at least the firewire route.
But your budget would be the key what you can get vs want.
Many firewire interfaces have mic inuts along with line inputs anywhere from 2 to 12 or more inputs simultaneously.
Are you planing to mix analogue or in the 'puter?
As far as mics go, there are many options too. Never heard about that specific mike on ebay, but the specs appear ok. Dynamics are good for congas, and nromally a good price.
Windhorse mentioned the Audix D2, I have a few myself along with Shure 57, Sennheiser 421, e609, e604, Beyerdynamic M201 not to mention a bunch of other condensor and ribbon mics.
By the price listed on ebay, it appears you are on tight budget. I would suggest using the industry standard for good recordings, but for just messing around you can go for lower budget stuff. I can make some suggestions for you on the standard stuff.
But the main thing is to have a multiple of the same mic especially if you play 3 or more congas. Mix matching different mics is good too, but if you're not familiar whith the characteristics, you may be giving yourself a hard time. When they are the same, they will have similar sound and behavior, so its more about learning mic placement and what you want for recording.
It really depends on how far and what level of recording you want. It can be as simple as getting a marginal recording just for listening back to yourself, whcih is a good learning tool. Or you can go for demo quality reproduction.

T
Tonio

Postby Congadelica » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi Tonio.
You have asked all the right questions my friend , Thanks .

“Do you have a ad/da(analog to digital convertor) interface? Or are you using the 1/8" analogue jack on the PC/soundcard?”

At the moment I have only 1/8” analogue connection to PC , I intend to upgrade USB 2 .

Im going to be uising software such as Fruity loops to mix my digital mic with digital back drop al la FL program.

“But your budget would be the key what you can get vs want?”

I don’t want to make the mistake of having to upgrade further down the line so middle entry at least .regarding mics and mixer.

“Are you planing to mix analogue or in the 'puter?”

No I want digital recording of the congas …..

“By the price listed on ebay, it appears you are on tight budget.”

Not really like I say I don’t have a clue were to start and like everything today it starts to get confusing , Hopefully you guys can help guide me in the right direction.

“But the main thing is to have a multiple of the same mic especially if you play 3 or more congas.”

Thanks that helps me very much ,appreciate your help here bro.

“It really depends on how far and what level of recording you want. It can be as simple as getting a marginal recording just for listening back to yourself, whcih is a good learning tool. Or you can go for demo quality reproduction.”

Id like to have demo quality .

Thanks again for all your question Tonio . I lookforward to your reply With shopping list book and pen at the ready .

Gracias

Marco

Edited By Congadelica on 1190042137
Congadelica

Postby Tonio » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 pm

OK bro, it may take a while since you will need to do some research as far as prices.
Just remember the budget is key here.

How about we start with the mics since its the first thing in the sound chain-well if you drums and room are ok.
I can suggest the Sennheiser e604 -3 packhttp://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsit ... sid=004519
The clips are really for trap kit toms, so you may want to invest in LP claws or mic stands. LP claws are good for live, but for recording I would suggest a mic stand. As you can see things start to add up in budget.
or Shure SM57's or Audix D2's. Or if budget willing Senn 421's. Many pro AE(Audio engineers-recording) in studios use 421 or Sm57's.
These are all dynamic mics with cardiod or hypercardiod
pick up patterns. Hypercardiod is better for live and poor room acoustics. Hyper cardoid has a tight patter and the off axis capture is attenuated, so you can get all of the congas sound without too much of the room.
Good for live gigs too.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=270833

If you really want condensor mics consider to pay about the same price as the e604 -3 pack for one decent condensor.

We still need consider the interface and/or mixer option.
There are small mixers that have convertors included i.e. Mackie Onyx models, but the is limited to the outputs are only in stereo(l,r).
I am not familiar with Fruitloops(FL) since I am on Apple MAC. I thought I had read before that FL has a software mixer, or was that FL-Studio? Does it have multiple in and out capabilities?
If so, you could get away will getting a small mixer.

>>At the moment I have only 1/8” analogue connection to PC , I intend to upgrade USB 2 .<<

I would suggest a firewire PCI card if possible. Not too much of price difference to USB2. Allthough USB2 specs are btter than FW(firewire), true world reference FW is much quicker. I would also recomend getting another 7200 RPM HD internally.

Let me take a look around with the current crop of interfaces for suggestions.

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:24 am

Hey Marco, howsit going. Any leads on the mic situation?
Did you need more info on the mic setup?

T
Tonio

Postby Congadelica » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:11 am

Im going for the Audix d2`s after long contemplation I think these will be fine . also Fruity loops seems to have all I need for my midi and mixing , but a mixer will be bought soon . thanks for pinting me in the right direction Ive done quite some reading and feel happy with what Ill purchase.

Gracias Tonio :cool:
Congadelica

Postby zaragenca » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:26 pm

(This is an article which I did a few years ago),it is going to be only a basic knowledge in relation to Home Recording and what could be expected in some of the 'studios'....Differents mics have differents characteristics,and are going to be good to reproduce, high,middle,and low frequencies.You need to start by conditioning the place where you are going to do the recording,to eliminate overtones,vibrations,exterior noises,etc.Then the proper tuning of the instrumen,then using the proper mics to obtain the specifics frequencies,the proper setting of the parametric equalization of the system which is going to process what you are recording,and the use of the right speakers to reproduce the sound,music,etc.The final project required the technical skills and equipments for the mixing and mastering.A multiple choice for mics., could be...For Drum Kick..(AKG D112 - SENNHEISERS E602,or E609 -SHURE Beta 52A - NEUMANN U87)....For SNARE-PERCUSSION...( AKG C418 - SENNHEISERS E903 - SHURE SM57,PG81 - NEUMANN 127)...FOR OVERHEADS..( AKG C411,C416 - SENNHEISERS ME105,ME102,ME104 - SHURE PG81 - NEUMANN TLM103.Also Shure have a package set PGDMK4.All in relation to budget,or availbility in the recording studios. Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby Tonio » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Marco,
Cool D2's sound great. Maybe alittle tinny on the high end, but should be good for full mixes to cut through the rest of the instruments.
PLacement of the mics are key, but if you are getting 2 or 3 D'2, you can get farther away. i.e. 3 drums w/ 3 mics you can get good isloation. If 2 d2's for 3 drums, you want to obviously put each mic between the lateral drums. But you need to go up about 6 to 12" and out alittle and angle the mics towards the middle of the drums surfaces.
D2's do require alot of gain from the mic pre-amp, so getting a good one is recommended. A mixer should have better pre amps than a interface w/ pre amps. But then you would need a interface to add.
You can consider from a M-audio deal or go all the way up to a RME fireface set up. So a mixer may not really be needed, but does help in certain situations.
I use a MOTU 1224, 2408 mkii and outboard pre amps such as A-Designs P-1 (API 500 rack modules) and Grace 101, and also a Soundraft SX1 Mixer for a hybrid set up. Along with some compressors and reverb units
for some mojo.
Being in UK, you could look at the Soundcraft portable mixers and RME interfaces. Another good mgf is frontier for Pc's Also Presonus has some units for consideration
which has good preamps.

T

T
Tonio

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises