Who did you take lesson's from

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Who did you take lesson's from

Postby flaco999 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Your right...

It is what it is, but then you wouldn't see Cleve playing a bembe with electronic bata, you'd see him with me and some other drummers bye his side.

However , there aren't many cats who can design, build and play those electronic bata with such virtuosity.
Keep in mind he is not missing a single part when playing the electronic set up.
That's pretty damn impressive.
flaco999

Postby Bongobilly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 am

Thomas : The drumming is just part of it, The religion come's into to play. There's a sequence of god's to play to and there in an order not like jamming on conga's and playing anything.I was told the religion goe's back B.C. As student's we were guest at some of these event's in The Bronx, New York and it was intence to say the least.
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby Firebrand » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

My father was the first person to introduce me to the conga, but his knowledge was very rudimentary. He's a guitarist and Cuatro player, mostly, though he started out as a rock drummer. The first teacher that really taught me the ways of Afro-Cuban-Puerto Rican percussion was a percussionist in Western MA called Freddy Moreno. I was lucky to have met Giovanni Hidalgo at 14 years of age, and he taught me a few "Mano Secreta" techniques. From there on, I listened to a lot of records, watched enough instructional DVDs, and practiced enough American rudiments on Congas to get good on my own.

Currently, I'm taking Bata lessons with Victor Sterling and will be taking Conga/Bongo lessons with David "La Mole" Rodriguez in Puerto Rico this summer. Here's hoping my speed, complexity, and slap power improve under his tutelage!
Firebrand

Postby Percussination » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:52 am

I've been playing seriously (regularly practicing) for about 5 months, and I'm studying with Luis Orbegoso. He played bongos for Memo Acevedo and has performed with the Spanish Harlem Orchestra and Stevie Wonder just to name a few. Great guy, great player, great teacher.
Percussination

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 am

My direct teachers (those I had direct contact with) were Kim Atkinson, Marcus Gordon, Kwaku Ladzekpo, C.K. Ladzekpo, John Santos and Mario Jauregui (I can only post 5 photos in a single posting).
-David

388925826_77a5bd4a96.jpg
Marcus Gordon
AtkinsonK.jpg
Kim Atkinson
AtkinsonK.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
Attachments
show_image.php.jpeg
C.K. Ladzekpo
show_image.php.jpeg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
jsantos2003.jpg
John Santos
jsantos2003.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Mario Jauregui lite.jpg
Mario Jauregui
Mario Jauregui lite.jpg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
davidpenalosa

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:22 am

My other main teachers were Roberto Borrell, Regino Jimenez and Jesus Alfonso. There are so many musicians who helped me along the way as well. I didn't have formal lessons from all my teachers. Sometimes I can learn by watching and/or asking questions. It's all been very valuable and I appreciate them all very much.
-David
Alfonso_Mir_Jes_s.jpg
Jesus Alfonso
Alfonso_Mir_Jes_s.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
regino2.jpg
Regino Jimenez
regino2.jpg (14.73 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
borrellheadshot.jpg
Roberto Borrell
borrellheadshot.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
davidpenalosa

Postby Miguel7 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 pm

thomas newton wrote:Who DO I take lessons from?

Everyone. Good examples, bad examples, teachers, students, children who walk up and hit the drums... everyone.

Same here. The basics I learned from tutorials on YouTube but after that I've learnd (and I'm still learning) from "Everyone"! :)
Miguel7

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 pm

My Teachers were
Henry "Hank" Fields-student of Armando Peraza

George "Sabu"Caldwell the 3rd- he toured with Katherine Dunham and learned from Fransisco Aguabella, Julito Collazo, and Chano Pozo. Also a member of Olatunji's Drummers and Dancers.

Ritchie "Pablo" Landrum- I met him thru Olatunji's Drummers and Dancers and gave me my first gig on jimbe in 1964 with Baba at the African Pavilion at the Worlds Fair in New York City. Studied African rhythms with Pablo at "Jazzmobile" I.S 201 in Harlem.. the program created by the late Dr. Billy Taylor

Yomi Yomi Awoldwo-my first jimbe teacher and mentor

Ubaldo Nieto- private lessons for timbales
Manny Oquendo-bongo lessons at Johnny Colon School of Music
and my the Bandleaders who taught me How to be a conga drummer in a performing situation and what is expected of me.
Joe Panama
Felipe "Phil" Diaz
Gil Suarez
Dwight Brewster
I left out my Bata teachers--Greg "peachy" Jarmon, Skip Burne, and Lazaro Alfonso de Cuba

I am grateful for what they gave me and passed on to me, which i now pass on to others...
JohnnyConga

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises