First track of Rejino cd ( Bembe )

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: First track of Rejino cd ( Bembe )

Postby flaco999 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Yeh , that version I posted John Amira taught me .

I guess it depends on who's house your at ? If your at mine, we are playing Bakoso just like the Rejino cd , a group I'm playing with has the cachimbo going ossossossoss and the mula going ptbtooptbtoo.

I'm just confused that there are so many ways to do bakoso, and wonder what that name has to even do with that rythem since it's not for chango specificaly? I love the history of this stuff and that's why I play it Rejino's way now.
That, and it just feels right.
flaco999

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:05 am

Well there is more than one way to make an omelet, so there is more than
one way to play bakoso. Just because one is right doesn't mean the other is
wrong.

Some friends and I played the Bakoso I just learned tonight and it sounded really good.
it is also easy to play the cachimbo and mula with just one person and two drums and let
the caja player do his thing if your short on players.
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:55 am

I got an email from Scott Wardinsky in regards to Regino's CD .

This is Scott Wardinsky writing. The reason it is so hard to find this recording is because we decided it did not meet the artistic or technical level of what we wanted to put out. However many copies managed to leak out after we gave a few away for criticisms. It went viral.

I have a new, much better project similar to Guemilere but in DVD format with performances as well as instructional tracks. It is called Mabague which Regino told me means Remember or Don't Forget in Lucumi. It features Lazoro Galarraga, Sandy Perez, Teresita Perez, Michael Spiro, Jose Barroso, Nengue Hernandez, Joey de Leon muself and a bunch of other great artists. There are 18 rhythms. Much more comprehensive than the first. With some killer performances that include the singing, dancing and drumming. It includes a booklet with transrciptions, lyrics and photos. It will be out in 3-6 months ( or when I get the $$$ to pay for mastering and manufacturing). In the meantime if you would like to donate to Reginos' estate in Cuba ( his wife and children) for the download available here you can contact me at odua88@yahoo.com.
Thanks, Scott Wardinsky
bongosnotbombs

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:35 am

I've seen the video Scotts' talking about and I can say that it is a real gem. Here's hoping that it comes out sooner rather than later. I just realized that this thread was started a long time ago and Bombs was just adding an update. I'll leave my post though, just in case anybody finds it helpful.

Danza%2BNacional%2Bback.jpg
[/quote] Is this the cd your talking about? It's the only Rejino cd I know of.[/quote]

There's also this CD of Regino and his group Ilu Aña:
[attachment=0]iluana.jpg
http://www.bembe.com/cgi-bin/softcart.e ... +bembe_982

These are parts for the form of bembé called bakoso:

guataca x-x-xx-x-x-x
cachimbo ossossossoss
mula o--o--o--o--

That's what I hear on the bakoso track from the "viral" Regino CD.
There's also a version of bakoso on Tito Puente's Top Percussion (1957) featuring Francisco Aguabella, Julito Collazo and Mongo.
-David
Attachments
iluana.jpg
iluana.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
davidpenalosa

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises