Arara "Mahi"

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Arara "Mahi"

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 am

Those are the names of the 4 drums. The bell is Ogan. Not all the arara rhythma that I know use all 4 drums.
Some use 3 and some use 4. I got the names from Sandy but you can get the drums and their tunings
from the liner notes to Raices Africanas the Grupo Africuba cd.......except Sandy and the cd notes are
switched on the apliti and the guegue tunings so I'm asking him about it tomorrow
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:47 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:Those are the names of the 4 drums. The bell is Ogan. Not all the arara rhythma that I know use all 4 drums.
Some use 3 and some use 4. I got the names from Sandy but you can get the drums and their tunings
from the liner notes to Raices Africanas the Grupo Africuba cd.......except Sandy and the cd notes are
switched on the apliti and the guegue tunings so I'm asking him about it tomorrow

Well I took the liner notes to Sandy, who just happens to be playing the shekere on the cover of this album
and he says the Apliti is the high drum and the Guegue the middle, the Yonofo is after the Guegue and is the leader
or improvising drum, and some Arara rhythms use the Oplocoto which is the lowest bajo drum.

Sandy Perez is actually an authority on Arara. Whenever Yosvany Terry comes to town he calls on Sandy to play
Terry's specially made Arara drums for his shows.

http://www.metrosantacruz.com/metro-san ... -0829.html
Attachments
61jbq-mZRsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
61jbq-mZRsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
bongosnotbombs

Postby flaco999 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

I've seen those drums.
Yosvany came too town with Pedro martinez and Roman Diaz and gave a Latin Jazz/Arara clinic.

Pedro was incredible stuff.
flaco999

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises