Looking for a list of common rhythms - I'm stuck in the Guajira

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:05 am

Salsaoberlinense...Charanga is not a rhythm it is a "style" of Cuban music..The tumbao/marcha is the rhythm you play in Charanga.
there is "Son" tumbao...and "Guajira" utilizes a tumbao also but played straight...type Charanga in youtube.com...see what comes up...Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby Salseroberlinense » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:27 pm

Johnny, that's what I thought as well about charanga, thank you for clarifying, so I guess we can delete that rhythm from the list. I play in a charanga band, if anyone is interested I recommend Orquesta Aragón for that style. Youtube sometimes gives unexpected results for what one is searching for, nonetheless interesting like this Charanga Campesina...
I did not understand what you wrote about son and guajira, what is a tumbao "played straight"?
Derbeno, you are absolutely right about the Brazilian rhythms, and the congabook has a couple of examples. Could you write yours down?
Salseroberlinense

Postby yambu321 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:43 pm

SALSEROBERLINENSE,

YES, JOHNNY CONGA IS CORRECT. CHARANGA IS NOT A RHYTHM OF IT'S OWN, BUT RATHER A STYLE OR FEEL THAT IS BASICALLY GIVEN TO THE WAY THE MAMBO RHYTHM IS PLAYED. IT HAS A LATIN SWING FEEL TO IT, WHICH WOULD BE USED IN AN ORQUESTRA, OR BAND, SETTING WITH FLUTES, GUITARS, VIOLINS AND OR CHELLOS HAVING FUN.

I DO TRULY OPOLOGIZE, FOR THE MISINFORMATION. THE HUMAN FACTOR, YOU KNOW. I SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT, THANKS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INQUIRY. :D
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Ok basically for a Guajira u play a 'straight" tumbao

HTSTHTOO
FOR SON TUMBAO IT GOES LIKE THIS

HTS 0 HT-00

H=HEEL T=TIP 0=OPEN TONE......DOES THAT HELP? Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Salseroberlinense » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Ah, thanks, so exchange a heel with an open after the slap, I know that for Cha Cha Chá. Is that the only difference or did you mean to indicate something else with the spaces and the minus?
Salseroberlinense

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Well it's basically called a "son tumbao"...veresus "straight" tumbao as i mentioned...that's all I meant...and there are few ways to play Son tumbao...Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaMan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:04 am

Charanga is a music style... I agree with JC... If you look at the congabook you will find a rhythm called Charanga but that's not correct... The italian text on the charanga rhythm page means:

Music Style played by a group made up of:
"Rhythm section (bass, timbales and güiro)," strings "(two to four violins, or any number of violins if there is a cello) and a flute. The piano and conga were added in the '40s. In the early 20th century evolves into charanga francesa.

The rhythm is just an example of pattern is usually played in Charanga Music.

All the best!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Salseroberlinense » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Is it the mambo yambu321 mentioned where the rhythm is played by a charanga orchestra? I play in a charanga band, and we play mainly cha cha chá and danzón, I think in those styles the rhythm would not fit, right? Or maybe in the faster parts of the danzones?
Salseroberlinense

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises