How Many Drums to Start? - 1,2,3,4 more?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:58 pm

This topic kind of got started in a different thread.

I started off playing bongos, then decided to add congas for versatility and variety.

Anyways I was told to start off with one drum, a Tumba as this was easiest to play due to it's size and ease of getting both hands on the head of the drum.

This also had the advantage of being cheap, as I only had to by one drum. I started with a used wood matador tumba.

While it was a good drum and a bargain at $150 with a bag, it was waaay heavy, so I sold it and got $75 used vintage LP fiberglass, and kept the bag.

With youtube now and Giovanni being popular, it seems like everyone is playing 3, 4 or 5 congas, a beginner could be confused.

If I am asked I still recommend to start with 1 drum, but not a Tumba, I suggest a Conga, they are usually cheaper, smaller and lighter, but also easier to get a slap out of, which can be encouraging to a new player.
bongosnotbombs

Postby burke » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Since it was kinda (mostly) my fault that this branched off I'll quote my own post:

"Very true [starting with one drum being recomended]. Very practical too because it makes you focus one getting all the sound you can (ie> technique) from that drum!

But the reality is that gets a bit dull (well for me anyway).

I was a two drum guy for many, many years ... more than all the challenge I needed between learning (still learning) technique and rthymes. Also (as I suspect you did BSB's) I started as a bongo player so two drums seemed natural.

I just recently (maybe a year ago) started working with a third drum and three drum patterns. After the initial excitment wore off I kinda went back to two. I still work on and with three but it hasn't rocked my world ... can't ever see myself going to four.

Maybe if you want 4 drums perhaps your really a marimba player who hasn't realised it yet"

I think Darrell makes a valid point here!

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby TONE74 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:40 pm

I would say two. I have more than that and rarely use them all. I use three for playing an abakua or something like that but two seems to do it for me. One to me is ok for playing an old school son or something like that. I would say in the very beginning one drum is enough but you soon want that other one.

I started with two and I dont think it affected me in a negative way because I still pay attention to technique and even so most rhythms are not heavy on both drums, usually is only one or two strokes and then back to the main drum again.

I think learning those two drum patterns keep things interesting and thats important too.
TONE74

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:52 pm

I'm just thinking about all those sets of 2 congas I see for sale on craigslist and everywhere, LP Aspires and such on a stand, obviously bought by someone starting.

I think they might have been happier spending the money on one good drum than two crappy ones??

anyone that stays with it for a while is gonna want another drum.
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:49 am

I went with with four right from the start.. But, that's not a recommendation for anyone else.. It's just that we play in groups around here. It's nice to have four, so that when everyone gets together we're playing on a "family" of drums rather than all sorts of mixes.. It's a pleasant sound. Then, when I get inspired by Zun, or Giovanni, or Johnny C, or somebody really cool then I can try my hand at four.. It's fun.. Maybe not real practical,, but hey,, we're all going to die anyway,, so have some fun!

Usually, my concentrated practice time these days is on one drum.. But, having four is certainly NOT a drawback for that one drum practice..

Edited By windhorse on 1192762258
windhorse

Postby Tonio » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:57 am

For a traditional sense, I would say to go for one-conga, then move on when ready . I think it may be up to the persons mind set and financial stability if they want to go for a good one. The thing maybe to consider is you may be stuck with one and when you go to get another, you may find that they don't match . Being that the mass producers have very(mfg dependant) consistant product, it may be a thing of the past. But I wold think that they do have batch runs pre se, so you may have a color and skin difference. Could be superficial/esthetic things, but it could tie into the wood or design change i.e. LP's Classic vs v II. Maybe minor things but for a starter it could mean a mistake in the long run?
In a modern sense, its hard to find just playing one drum, unless we are talking folkloric stuff. But somewhere salsa, timba what have you will come into the picture. Most likely need to get 2.
But it may be up to the aspirations of a starter. Is 1 mid to high end drum harder to sell than 2 that match? I have'nt been in the buy/sell situation in a while(before ebay's start), so I could be misinformed about that.
Of course learning on one drum will give more power to independance and creativity. Having a good teacher is another thing in tandem of whats the best approach too.

T
Tonio

Postby CongaTick » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Started with two old gon bops in the 70's, then reverted to 1 drum to learn how to play and get every possible sound from it. But for years now I rely on 3 to give me a more expansive melodic approach.
CongaTick

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:16 pm

I think they might have been happier spending the money on one good drum than two crappy ones??

Yep, and I also back up Congatick absolutely. I owned those crappy two, never really liked them - and YEARS later, when I rekindled my passion for Latin music, I bought an LP Classic quinto which made me very, very happy - for two years :D
OK then it´s simply time to get more drums, two of them being the most common thing. But the more congas you collect over time: it´s not necessarily an upgrade of your setup, but rather a melodic extension - which shouldn´t divert you from the "original" patterns and proper technique.
On the other hand playing with four congas can be great fun sometimes - but not always.

Edited By Mike on 1192807050
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby jorge » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:03 pm

One good conga.
Until you learn how to get nice clean tones, bass, and slaps, and play some parts with good timing, it doesn't help to have 2, 3, or more drums. In my opinion, having more than one drum when you don't have the basics down tends to distract you, throw your timing off, and slow down your mastery of the fundamental skills you need to play multiple drums. Starting with a good conga with a good skin will help you learn your hand motions correctly from the beginning, you won't have to hit the drum some weird way to get it to sound right. Learn it right the first time so you don't have to unlearn bad habits. Focus on timing and sound quality for the first year or so.
If you stick with it and learn how to play well, eventually you will wind up with more drums than you can play, like most of us. If you don't stick with it, you can always sell a good conga for a decent price. So for now, get the best single conga you can afford and learn the basics. A mid sized conga (ie, 11", 11.5", or 12" depending on how big your hands are) will probably be the most versatile drum to start with, you can get a smaller quinto or bigger tumba later, once you know how to play the basics.
Spend the money you would have spent on a second drum on a good teacher instead.

Edited By jorge on 1192810023
jorge

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:09 am

I recommend one drum to start learning to hand drum, but there is nothing wrong with getting a two-conga set since they are so plentiful and a good deal has got to be easy to find. But if you do get two congas, then just concentrate on working with one at a time to start.

Edited By Whopbamboom on 1192853428
Whopbamboom

Postby Firebrand » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:38 am

people will tell you start with only one. The whole "if you can't do it with one, you can't do with all". There's some truth to this, but I find that my own practice is divided among different needs (and different conga numbers apply).

For rudimental work (practicing the different sounds, Open Tone, Closed Slap, Open Slap, Open Crack, Bass Tone, Heel-Toe, Palm-Drop Pull, etc.), one conga is all you need. What you're working on here is getting sound correctly and speed/solo ideas. Especially useful when practicing along to Guaguanco sessions (taking the Quinto role, obviously). This is where you develop your chops to impress.

Equally important (perhaps even more important) is the learning of rhythm patterns. This is the bread and butter of playing. When you're playing with groups, they want to know if you keep time and groove well. Would they like someone like Giovanni Hidalgo in their group? Sure! But, more importantly, can you authentically replicate the groove and authentic sounds of a particular style, and keep the song going? For this aspect of regular practice, you need to decide what you like playing. I personally like playing with 3 congas. Two congas is fine for keeping time, but 3 congas really opens you up musically (I suppose 4 congas and beyond do the same, but I set the limit at 3 for me). Start out with two congas. Practice Plena, bomba, guaguanco, Son, Chachacha, etc with two congas. Get those grooves down pat. Why two congas? Because if you ever have to sit in with a group and they have only two, you'll know what to do.

Whenever you got the patterns right with 2, try 3. I find that the more congas you add, the less "baqueteo" aspect to your playing. you find yourself opening up musically with more open tones (because of the added tones of extra congas).

This is personal preference, but, rule of thumb: stick to 1 for rudimental work (use a quinto and tune it high, so you can get motivated when your slaps and cracks start getting good), and then, learn new rhythms with 2 or 3.
Firebrand

Postby Tone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:27 pm

I think to start with it really makes sense to get two.

You will use only one for the proper practise. To learn the tones, the movements etc... Leave the second one in tis corner.

Now the second one you will need to learn most of the beginners rhythms and you will probably have a lot more fun which is important in keeping you motivated.
Also you will need two for your first gigs or rehearsals.
And you will have two drums to jam with fellow percussionists which is also very helpful.

I started on two gon bops Mariano and now usaually play four because I am very interested in the melodic aspect of the tumbadoras. But I still do 95% of my practise with one ( which can be any of the drums )

I hope that helps. Enjoy the process!

peace
tone
Tone

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises