double rolls

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Firebrand » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:02 pm

Just be clear, is the "palm drop pull" method that Changuito advocates the same technique that David Mole (and his "potritos") display on videos? Is that the "mano secreta" technique?

And finally, is that "palm drop pull" basic technique the one displayed in the Changuito-Giovanni duets video that someone posted on YouTube (under "Hand Movements")

If so, good...then I'm off to practice that technique to death!
Firebrand

Postby yoni » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:20 pm

Hi all,

The heel-toe ("fish") double and the open double are similar in that there are 2 strokes with each hand, but the open double doesn't use the "heel".

"Pulling" the strokes towards you could help in both ways of doubling.

In the video below, posted here before, I use a lot of open double-stroke hand rolls (no "heels") on darbuka. It may not look so much like open doubles there, but it's just "daddy-mama-daddy-mama", open bounces, yes "pulled" toward me a bit to help the bounce.

All those paradiddle, flamacue, ratamacue and other trap set excercises are great ways to break up the doubles and make other figures....

But the basic double roll is simply either the "fish" or the open "daddy-mama". One may start with the "fish" and then "open it up" to get 2 distinct bounces as in the open double, without the "heel" muffling the head and sound...

Seems to me that some players also do a "hybrid" between these 2 rolls; maybe like Richie Flores, with a sound not always so clear as the plain open double.
Gio does both open doubles and "fish" doubles (and whatever else he wants to, I guess!)

Anyway it takes a long time to get down, but don't give up! After a year or two, maybe sooner, of at least 2 hours daily on doubles alone, they fly as if all by themselves, with not much effort.

Enjoy!

Yonatan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJNq0JqZSs
yoni

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises