Ijesa 3 rythems Ogun/Ochun/Closing

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Ijesa 3 rythems Ogun/Ochun/Closing

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 pm

davidpenalosa wrote:

Hi Dave,
The 12/8 Ogun song is on the Grupo AfroCuba iyesa from "Raices"

Quinto Governor II wrote :

Here is my rendition of that song. That "Raices" CD was my first purchase of Afro-Cuban folkloric music, and believe it or not, I found it in Border's Books and Music. I could have not found a better Cd, as an introduction, as it has a number of the different styles on it. That Cd and this Ogun song is still one of my favorites. I'm enjoying this discussion and appreciate the insightful info you guys are providing. I would definitely like to hear an Oshun Iyesa song, as I'm not sure if I have heard one before or not, and I have a friend, who I would like to share it with, who I know would appreciate it a lot. So, if you guys think of one in particular, please post the info. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsAVfNp ... annel_page

bongosnotbombs wrote:

if we
playing rumba columbia and someone wants to sing orisha, it's all good. We know it's not "orthodox" or
whatever, but I don't see it being disrespectful at all.

Quinto Governor II wrote:

"Disrespectful", I've never heard that before, as many of the columbia's I've heard, have Orisha lyrics in them. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. Did Sandy address this issue directly? If so, what did he say?
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:

if we
playing rumba columbia and someone wants to sing orisha, it's all good. We know it's not "orthodox" or
whatever, but I don't see it being disrespectful at all.

"Disrespectful", I've never heard that before, as many of the columbia's I've heard, have Orisha lyrics in them. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. Did Sandy address this issue directly? If so, what did he say?

Well I guess I don't really know, I've never really gotten any instruction on the songs, what is appropriate and what is not,
I've just picked up stuff here and there and read books. What I have assumed is that in some locales people adhere to a certain
protocol regarding appropriate times,occasions and rhythms that certain songs can be sung. I can't say I am very educated on that subject.

Since the album was brought up, Raices Africanas, the person being discussed happens to be on the cover, so let me put in a
shameless bit of promotion on his behalf. Sandy is the one standing with the shekere...
Attachments
3n53o73paZZZZZZZZZ924ccc3f9e74a221858.jpg
3n53o73paZZZZZZZZZ924ccc3f9e74a221858.jpg (12.69 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
bongosnotbombs

Postby Quinto Governor II » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey guys, found this Iyesa video. David, could this be the song you were thinking of? I know this song also, but can't remember from what CD. Didn't realize it was a song to Oshun. You guys care to critique it, or comment on its structure? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr7XQoeu5yE
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby flaco999 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 pm

I am trying to talk my girlfriend into moving to San Fran. I want to jam at the river with Carlos Aldama and study with Sandy. :)
flaco999

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:42 am

Quinto Governor II wrote: David, could this be the song you were thinking of?

Thats' cool to see Greeks playing iyesa. It's the 4/4 version though, not the 12/8 one I have not been able to find.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Quinto Governor II » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:34 am

Hey guys, have a question. Generally speaking, are the dance movements the same, when dancing for an Orisha, whether the rhythm is Bata or Iyesa?
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:49 am

Quinto Governor II wrote: are the dance movements the same, when dancing for an Orisha, whether the rhythm is Bata or Iyesa?

Generally, the dancers are cued more by the song than the rhythm, as to which steps they should do. As far as I’ve been able to observe, the steps for the different orisha when accompanied by 4/4 iyesa songs are identical. It’s the upper body, doing the pantomime of the particular orisha being sung to that varies. Whether the songs are accompanied by iyesá drums or accompanied by bata drums, the dance remains the same.
-David
davidpenalosa

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises